GDT: Maybe Ol’ AD Starts A New Streak

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I was entertaining tonight...had the game on in the background.. every time I looked over was a Cane going to the box or Rod popping a vein.

What was the dealio?

Same thing as usual. The calls against Carolina were legit penalties that should be called, but the same standard wasn't held for the opposing team.

I don't know why there's complaints. Given that we're seemingly just as likely to give up a goal on the PP than score one, I say the less penalties we draw, the better.

surfzone365

Jan 13, 2021
Ashburn, VA
I quit going to games against Northeastern opponents long time ago. Just very unpleasant. That isn't to say they are all assholes because that's not true, but sitting among hundreds of them isn't fun.

Oddly enough for the reputation they have, Flyers fans are probably the most mellow of the ones I've been around.
Part of the problem is many transplants seem to have a superiority complex when they move to other places. This lends itself in how they act not just at sporting events, but their demeanor altogether. Being a Midwest transplant who more or less grew up in NC, we never really got like that - although Chicago and Detroit fans have long worn their welcome out in Nashville and Dallas. There is definitely something about the Northeast lot that is pungent and repulsive (not all but there is a notable trend and reputation why they aren’t liked).

On the flip side, I prefer to see the Canes play the Pens or Rangers in their respective cities. When you’re the visitor among them, they don’t act like the transplants in Raleigh. Had better MUCH better interactions with Rangers fans at MSG than PNC. Just my 2 cents… The only thing we can do as fans in a high transplant area is show up, cheer the team and let the guys on ice send the opposing fans home less than thrilled 👍🏽

surfzone365

Jan 13, 2021
Ashburn, VA
Idk. I mean I probably dislike people form the northeast more than anyone here. But I can honestly say that some of the most respectful and fun fans I've shared the PNC with are islanders and flyers fans. Flyers probably because rod? Isles fans were good sports too.
Boston fans are pure shit breed of human. Pens fans aren't far behind and neither are rangers trashwagoners.

I don't have a lot of experience with Buffalo fans since the 06 ecf if I'm being honest. My close buddy and I went to those games and we were like one or two sections over from that corner they took over. We did get in a shoving match with some of them between periods of I think game 6? It wsd later in the series when the shut out vs sell out chants were going on. One of then pushed off on some girl in the concession line and we both shoved him out of line and told him to f*** off and find another stand, that he wasn't getting back in this line. He ran his mouth and walked off, and one stand down from us a pretty big scrum happened and rpd removed some Buffalo fans.

I'm not sure I've actually been to a game vs buffalo in at least 10 years, and certainly not since the Rod era.
I have experience with Buffalo fans. In 2016 when both teams were garbage - not 2006 - was the time I came the closest I have ever been to getting in an altercation at PNC. Having friends from Buffalo and knowing their passion is one thing, but they were unruly in my experience.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
As a northeast transplant to CO it’s an interesting conversation. You can’t tell someone from there that anything you have or do in their new location compares to where they’re from, but at the same time they would never want to go back in a million years.

When I moved here I did not identify with the negativity of my upbringing and all the attitudes, I didn’t feel like I fit in. I was “soft” for there….and mind you I’m from small town CT not Boston. One of my favorite parts of leaving was putting so much of that attitude in the rear view. I moved here and the culture shock was mind blowing. Everyone was nice. At the same time there was a fakeness to it that drove me crazy. I started playing hockey here (my only way of making friends then) and within six months my whole team was guys from the northeast….we just gravitated to each other. I never felt like anyone was telling the truth. For CO I was obnoxious and over the top at times when the same person was a weak representation of the NE when I would visit home. The differences made more clear every year now. My Mom could at no time accept that anything outside of our life in CT could be better. This would go to technology even. I would talk about the new phones coming out, or whatever and my Mom would crap all over it saying everything they had was better when everything they had was five years behind. They still don’t get cell reception at the beach. NOW! I’d show up with Verizon, watching YouTube under the umbrella and my nephews would look at me like I was a wizard. The local radio stations are all the same, playing the same songs they were playing when I left 25 years ago. CT feels like it’s lost in time when I go back.

Anyways, it’s at its worst with sports. Winters are long and hard, mostly spent indoors watching tv. It’s the opposite here, outside of the Broncos no one really gives a shit about watching sports on tv. I think it’s because Sunday afternoons are the only time most Coloradans will sit around watching tv. Watching Avs fans even now not having any idea what’s going on when the B’s are in town is hilarious.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
What's weird is I know a lot of people that have transplanted here from the northeast. I did as well and almost all the guys I used to play hockey with were from Long Island (They were mostly Ranger's fans). We went to a lot of Canes games and when their team wasn't in town, they actually root for the Canes in those cases, but when the Ranger's show up, it's like a switch goes off and they become loud and obnoxious.

Maybe it's because there is a large presence of Ranger's fans in the arena so they either need to keep up appearances, or it's the crowd mentality that feed off each other. It might be also that the Canes for years sucked so there was no sort of rivalry. Who knows.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
What's weird is I know a lot of people that have transplanted here from the northeast. I did as well and almost all the guys I used to play hockey with were from Long Island (They were mostly Ranger's fans). We went to a lot of Canes games and when their team wasn't in town, they actually root for the Canes in those cases, but when the Ranger's show up, it's like a switch goes off and they become loud and obnoxious.

Maybe it's because there is a large presence of Ranger's fans in the arena so they either need to keep up appearances, or it's the crowd mentality that feed off each other. It might be also that the Canes for years sucked so there was no sort of rivalry. Who knows.
I would speculate they are being placed back into a situation that is far more familiar to them than the life they lead now. It’s the one time they get to embrace what they probably loved the most about being from there. The camaraderie you have when everyone is that crazy about it is unparalleled, and I haven’t seen it anywhere else yet. It’s hard not to be sucked into it growing up, and it’s very natural to fall back into it when the opportunity arises. The Northeast does sports different. I’m not saying it’s better or worse, but I’ve been to at least 50 Av’s games since I left. Probably way more than that actually. And yet I don’t feel like I’ve been to a single NHL game since I left, with the exception to one time I went to Boston and one time I went to MSG. It feels like it almost doesn’t count as NHL games here in CO. Even in my 20’s here I had trouble getting into the games the way I did at home, I feel like I’m by myself amongst thousands of people.

It’s gotten much better in recent years. It’s still different though.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I remember when I used to post on the Panthers forum on their official website back in the early 2000s, and any time we played the Eagles they would have the most insane trolls. Philly fans truly are some kind of creature.

MV5BNTVjYzU0MzYtMzdiMy00YWVmLWJjYTAtMzE1ZDcwODJhMzAxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDUxNjc5NjY@._V1_.jpg
I'm feeling a little personally attacked right now.

I mean you're not wrong but damn, not all of us are monsters. Just most

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Having married someone from CT, the NY, MA, NH cousins and other family came with the deal. Now my Tar Heel bred son has done the same. The NYers are a little loud and rambunctious at times especially re: sports and politics but really witty, lovely, kind hearted folks. It's the MA ones that tended to rub me the wrong way at times with the impatient rudeness and air of superiority but still good people. The NH cousins, I completely adore, and overlook their support of the Patriots and Bruins.

I will say that, even today, many of them still foster some ill conceived notions of how we live here in NC even after they've visited many times.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
can confirm that people from vermont think everything is better in/from vermont
Yes. My father in-law (from NY) always used to jokingly call it "that cutesy state" and claimed you could put a 20% premium on any product if you put "Made in Vermont" on it.

The one exception is skiing. Most Vermonters recognize that the conditions out west are far superior to Vermont, although you do have a few hold-outs that claim skiing on ice is somehow better.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I'd bet some of it just has to do with what you grow up with. Sports can be so important to kids, and the ties developed during those times can be pretty powerful. Combine the longer history of some sports in the northeast with migration patterns and I bet you get part of the explanation. E.g., I've got to wonder if you had a large block of UNC fanatics that relocated to some common location in the northeast if you'd see some of the same behavior around college basketball from them.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I would speculate they are being placed back into a situation that is far more familiar to them than the life they lead now. It’s the one time they get to embrace what they probably loved the most about being from there. The camaraderie you have when everyone is that crazy about it is unparalleled, and I haven’t seen it anywhere else yet. It’s hard not to be sucked into it growing up, and it’s very natural to fall back into it when the opportunity arises. The Northeast does sports different. I’m not saying it’s better or worse, but I’ve been to at least 50 Av’s games since I left. Probably way more than that actually. And yet I don’t feel like I’ve been to a single NHL game since I left, with the exception to one time I went to Boston and one time I went to MSG. It feels like it almost doesn’t count as NHL games here in CO. Even in my 20’s here I had trouble getting into the games the way I did at home, I feel like I’m by myself amongst thousands of people.

It’s gotten much better in recent years. It’s still different though.

Yeah...I get all that. I lived in the northeast for 17 years and know how sports fandom is done up there. My wife was born in Buffalo and grew up in NY and all her relatives still live there and are mainly Bills/Sabres fans (a few Yankees/Giants fans). Even after living there a long time and seeing how they act, it was still weird for me to see them switch it on and off like that. It's probably the camaraderie aspect you mention.

A couple of guys that I played hockey with were like that 24x7 though. Their mouths ran the entire game, whether in play or on the bench.

surfzone365

Jan 13, 2021
Ashburn, VA
I'd bet some of it just has to do with what you grow up with. Sports can be so important to kids, and the ties developed during those times can be pretty powerful. Combine the longer history of some sports in the northeast with migration patterns and I bet you get part of the explanation. E.g., I've got to wonder if you had a large block of UNC fanatics that relocated to some common location in the northeast if you'd see some of the same behavior around college basketball from them.
There is also a bandwagon element to sports and some teams. 3/4 of Cowboys "fans" have never set foot in the Central time zone in their lives, let alone anywhere near the Lone Star state to claim any true allegiance.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Part of the problem is many transplants seem to have a superiority complex when they move to other places. This lends itself in how they act not just at sporting events, but their demeanor altogether. Being a Midwest transplant who more or less grew up in NC, we never really got like that - although Chicago and Detroit fans have long worn their welcome out in Nashville and Dallas. There is definitely something about the Northeast lot that is pungent and repulsive (not all but there is a notable trend and reputation why they aren’t liked).

On the flip side, I prefer to see the Canes play the Pens or Rangers in their respective cities. When you’re the visitor among them, they don’t act like the transplants in Raleigh. Had better MUCH better interactions with Rangers fans at MSG than PNC. Just my 2 cents… The only thing we can do as fans in a high transplant area is show up, cheer the team and let the guys on ice send the opposing fans home less than thrilled 👍🏽

Can confirm. I know people from the NYC area who complain about everything here. Pizza isn't good enough, the arts scene sucks, too many chains, too hot in the summer, etc. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but constant whining gets old. Yeah no shit Sherlock, Manhattan is a different world.

But yeah I know people who go to games in Boston, NY, Buffalo, Pennsylvania and such and say the same thing you just did. In "their" house, you're cool but in "your" house, everything sucks.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Yeah...I get all that. I lived in the northeast for 17 years and know how sports fandom is done up there. My wife was born in Buffalo and grew up in NY and all her relatives still live there and are mainly Bills/Sabres fans (a few Yankees/Giants fans). Even after living there a long time and seeing how they act, it was still weird for me to see them switch it on and off like that. It's probably the camaraderie aspect you mention.

A couple of guys that I played hockey with were like that 24x7 though. Their mouths ran the entire game, whether in play or on the bench.
I have two of my closest long term CO friends still in my life. We were hockey buddies first and all three of us ended up in EMS in some capacity and have had strong influences on each other over the years. They are complete Massholes. Ones from Plymouth and the other from Boston. They never give it up. They never let it go. More than once I’ve been out socially with one of them and we would all talk about it and I would call him out saying I would buy the next round of drinks if this guy doesn’t have something on him that says Mass sports. I never had to buy a drink. He can’t leave the house without at least Sox, Celts, B’s, Pats underwear or socks on if not an undershirt or jacket.

That’s how they play too, constantly yapping at everyone on both sides of the game. They even have their accents still, after 20 plus years. Everyone else’s fades in time. Not theirs.

Best part….you couldn’t pay them cash money to leave CO to go back to MA. Hell no. Don’t even bring it up. Eff that place.

surfzone365

Jan 13, 2021
Ashburn, VA
Can confirm. I know people from the NYC area who complain about everything here. Pizza isn't good enough, the arts scene sucks, too many chains, too hot in the summer, etc. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but constant whining gets old. Yeah no shit Sherlock, Manhattan is a different world.

But yeah I know people who go to games in Boston, NY, Buffalo, Pennsylvania and such and say the same thing you just did. In "their" house, you're cool but in "your" house, everything sucks.
I know. My girlfriend is from NY and her family now lives outside Burlington. All Rangers fans BTW. When we come down to visit, all I hear is how NC doesn't have this or doesnt have that, and all about how they did things in NY. The pizza sucks and its too hot and humid. OK, whatever... I smirk it off but I can see how it rubs people wrong. I sum it up to some people arent happy no matter where they are. I usually hold my tongue because they are really good people overall, but I have jokingly told them I-95 northbound is clear and open for business.

hockeynjune

CAT4 and RI TAKE SHELTER NOW
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
Having married someone from CT, the NY, MA, NH cousins and other family came with the deal. Now my Tar Heel bred son has done the same. The NYers are a little loud and rambunctious at times especially re: sports and politics but really witty, lovely, kind hearted folks. It's the MA ones that tended to rub me the wrong way at times with the impatient rudeness and air of superiority but still good people. The NH cousins, I completely adore, and overlook their support of the Patriots and Bruins.

I will say that, even today, many of them still foster some ill conceived notions of how we live here in NC even after they've visited many times.
Lol, my wife Ct born, Maryland bred and DC inside the beltline job. Her family is spread all over the NE. I don’t always understand them but I love em all and for some reason they like this NC tobacco farm raised redneck. Tons of good stories.

hockeynjune

CAT4 and RI TAKE SHELTER NOW
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
I know. My girlfriend is from NY and her family now lives outside Burlington. All Rangers fans BTW. When we come down to visit, all I hear is how NC doesn't have this or doesnt have that, and all about how they did things in NY. The pizza sucks and its too hot and humid. OK, whatever... I smirk it off but I can see how it rubs people wrong. I sum it up to some people arent happy no matter where they are. I usually hold my tongue because they are really good people overall, but I have jokingly told them I-95 northbound is clear and open for business.
I have said those words many times myself

• Haha
Reactions: surfzone365

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
The local radio stations are all the same, playing the same songs they were playing when I left 25 years ago. CT feels like it’s lost in time when I go back.
Well, it's not like WICC is going to update the Italian House Party mix.

I think a lot of it is the younger generations are leaving and the jobs are leaving (chicken & egg but it is creating a feedback loop.) Last time I went back to CT I happened to go through Derby. It's a complete ghost town now.

Reactions: bleedgreen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad