Maybe I missed this in all the "fire Bylsma" frenzy....

Status
Not open for further replies.

BurghThang

Dec 14, 2013
Who would you replace him with?
Dan would be unemployed for about 3 minutes or so.....so....yeah...who?

Again

42-17-5
#1 PK
#1 PP
More injury time lost and to MUCH higher impact players than any other team

I'm not being a smart alek here...honest. I go through this with Steeler fans always calling for Tomlin's head as well. So tell me...who do we replace him with and oh yeah...they need to be available (no Julien, Quenville, Sutter, Babcock, Hitchcock, etc...)

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com

Again

42-17-5
#1 PK
#1 PP

I'm not being a smart alek here...honest. I go through this with Steeler fans always calling for Tomlin's head as well. So tell me...who do we replace him with and oh yeah...they need to be available (no Julien, Quenville, Sutter, Babcock, Hitchcock, etc...)

Regular season stats are ultimately irrelevant. The reason everyone wants Bylsma fired is because his strategy consistently sets the team up for playoff failure. The Stanley Cup is not awarded for the team with the #1 power play and penalty kill. The flaws in Bylsma's system that lead the team to crumble in the postseason are readily apparent.

I do not like Jacques Martin's style, but I would have to think he could manage a more efficient playoff team than the disorganized mess we've seen every season since the '09 Cup run (2011 series against the Lightning disregarded).

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
What a terrible argument, BurghThang. Seriously there is zero substance to your argument. I welcome you to the board but let's just hit quick hits that have been over discussed/over-analyzed/proven time and time again.

- This team is good and makes the same mistakes over and over again. Definition of insanity is to do the same thing and expect a different result.

- Countless blunders in playoffs or big time games (two winter classics)

- Countless amount of hilarious line matching gaffes

- Failure to adapt in 7 game series

- Stretch passes

- Stretching the weak side w/ no puck support

- Failure to recognize what players need to play and what need to sit

- Playing favorites such as Adams/Orpik when they are proven to suck

- Using Iginla, HOF RW, on the left

- Holding some players accountable and others not

I mean... this stuff is discussed over and over and over again. If you want a great thread - go to the Dan Bylsma thread from 2010 that was just brought back up. It has all of your answers. Once you start seeing what is on the ice, you will realize this team could be a lot better.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Bylsma is a good coach. I just think this group needs a new voice. They have good stats in certain areas but there's still just an overall sloppiness and lack of discipline to their game that makes me think they need more of a bad cop coach right now. It also doesn't help that DB really might be the worst lineup decision maker in the league. His lineup decision mistakes are right up there with Mike Tomlin's huge constant clock management mistakes. It is a problem.

SidDidNothingWrong

Beau's IcedCapp
Jan 2, 2014
John Hynes.
People act like we Pittsburgh sports fans are crazy. Tomlin should go too. He cheats and then the NFL says we might lose a draft pick.
All of those accolades that Bylsma has are impressive if done by another coach that does not have 2 generational players carrying the team and winning despite his strategy. Anyone that tunes in and watches Pens games will quickly realize Geno and Sid have to come and save the day after Bylsma gets outcoached.
Being a regular season champion against a lot of weak teams should not plant you in history as an amazing coach.

BurghThang

Dec 14, 2013
What a terrible argument, BurghThang. Seriously there is zero substance to your argument. I welcome you to the board but let's just hit quick hits that have been over discussed/over-analyzed/proven time and time again.

- This team is good and makes the same mistakes over and over again. Definition of insanity is to do the same thing and expect a different result.

- Stretch passes

I mean... this stuff is discussed over and over and over again. If you want a great thread - go to the Dan Bylsma thread from 2010 that was just brought back up. It has all of your answers. Once you start seeing what is on the ice, you will realize this team could be a lot better.

I appreciate all you have said but I asked a simple question I thought...who would you replace him with?

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

- Stretch passes

This team would be better off with a GM that builds around his meal ticket, but that's for another thread another time.

gopens66

Hop in the Cordoba, Baby, we're goin' bowlin!
May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa

Again

42-17-5
#1 PK
#1 PP

Well, currently the Penguins employ an assistant coach, whom happened to defeat Dan Bylsma in the playoffs with the Canadiens. He would be the most logical, interim coach.

Peter Laviolette is currently available as well.

BurghThang

Dec 14, 2013
Well, currently the Penguins employ an assistant coach, whom happened to defeat Dan Bylsma in the playoffs with the Canadiens. He would be the most logical, interim coach.

Peter Laviolette is currently available as well.

Well..in my opinion Halak beat us...not Martin...but point taken...
So far Laviolette is the 1st choice I have seen that is at least palatable

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I've always liked Lav. I'm not sure he really fits the description of a bad cop but he is the master of the timeout. :laugh: He also seems good with young players. He didn't seem to have any man crushes on worthless slug Craig Adams types that I can remember but it's been a while...

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
I appreciate all you have said but I asked a simple question I thought...who would you replace him with?

If you want retreads:
Peter Laviolette
Jacques Martin
Marc Crawford

I'm not well versed enough in USA College or minor/Jr league coaches to have much of an opinion on them after Patrick Roy got hired by Colorado.

The fact that we don't have a successor lined up doesn't mean that Bylsma should stay.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Short-term Lav. Would only work 1-2 years. Pretty much any coach w/ responsibility and accountability being a huge factor.

I also think the perfect scenario would be Tippett. Ruff was available at one part and is extremely underrated. Dave King? JM?

There are probably 100 coaches out there we don't even know the name of that would love to take this roster. DB has lost this team and I don't even feel like repeating what has been said 231484903280943 times around here.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

Again

42-17-5
#1 PK
#1 PP

Don't assume Bylsma is the only reason this team does well in the regular season. Any team that has Crosby and Malkin on it is going to have good regular seasons. Bylsma's ineptitude shows up come the playoffs where he is incapable of adjusting or matching lines.

Right now I would say there are currently three options to replace Bylsma: Peter Laviolette, Jacques Martin, or Rick Tocchet.

BurghThang

Dec 14, 2013
Short-term Lav. Would only work 1-2 years. Pretty much any coach w/ responsibility and accountability being a huge factor.

I also think the perfect scenario would be Tippett. Ruff was available at one part and is extremely underrated. Dave King? JM?

There are probably 100 coaches out there we don't even know the name of that would love to take this roster. DB has lost this team and I don't even feel like repeating what has been said 231484903280943 times around here.

I suppose I'm not a good thread maker :)
I am ready to dive full onto the "Dan's gotta go" bandwagon..I am...
I just honestly have not seen a thread discussing potential replacements is all.
No need to rehash everyone's complaints...was just curious as to who you guys thought the new man should be is all

M10

Dec 7, 2013
Playoffs. There is just no getting around it. As mentioned prior, the regular season is irrelevant, at this point, for this core of talent. I'm sure many fans feel like we are wasting years. On top if that, you can't fool Pittsburgh sports fans for long, we know what a championship window is, and we have seen how a team should perform in that window more recently with the Steelers. The Penguins are not living up to their hype what-so-ever.

It's been said many times, fans aren't expecting a cup every year. Fans are expecting that a team with the worlds top 2 players, a handful of uber-talented players, and a usually capable supporting cast can end up with a fulfilling end, be it a cup or a hard fought elimination.

Brent Sutter. If he wanted to. I know he's involved heavily with a junior team.

Peter Laviolette. The guy has worked wonders with some very average teams.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I've always liked Lav. I'm not sure he really fits the description of a bad cop but he is the master of the timeout. :laugh: He also seems good with young players. He didn't seem to have any man crushes on worthless slug Craig Adams types that I can remember but it's been a while...

I remember 1 Pens game Lav called a timeout, i predicted Flyers would score 2 quick goals and bada bing bada boom they did, and everyone wanted to know where i drink my water from, but i kept it a secret. Then again, it was no rocket science, once that timeout happens 99.9% of the time the Flyers came back to win or barely lose but they came back and came back hard.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Well..in my opinion Halak beat us...not Martin...but point taken...
So far Laviolette is the 1st choice I have seen that is at least palatable

Oh yeah the hot goalie argument. I guess the invisible force field of Rask beat us last year too.

Anyway, it's hard to know who is out there in terms of successful AHL coaches or even Junior coaches. That said, there are a number of guys we could have gotten. Paul Maurice would have been a possibility. Lavy obviously would be good, John Hynes if they wanted to promote a guy in house. And then the obvious Martin in the interim.

The point is there are options. Prior to lucking into the Pens head coach job, Bylsma had 40 games of professional hockey head coaching experience. Cole listed the reasons why he should be replaced and I gave you a few options to replace him. So, what's your argument now?

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
Special teams are going to be huge in the Playoffs like always but I never read about it as a strength on this board, I wonder why...

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I suppose I'm not a good thread maker :)
I am ready to dive full onto the "Dan's gotta go" bandwagon..I am...
I just honestly have not seen a thread discussing potential replacements is all.
No need to rehash everyone's complaints...was just curious as to who you guys thought the new man should be is all

Hey don't.... nobody said you should follow HF speak. All I ask you is that if you see the same thing over and over again - start realizing the common problem.

Do I think the players are not accountable? Absolutely. We cannot fire a team.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
Well...you cannot fire the coach without having someone lined up...can you?
Well you could...but it would be pseudo-suicidal

Byslma was a complete unknown when they fired MT and brought him in. The team just needed a new warm body to listen to.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Well...you cannot fire the coach without having someone lined up...can you?
Well you could...but it would be pseudo-suicidal

I doubt Shero would break a sweat finding a replacement for Dan. As soon as news broke I would imagine there would be no less than two dozen agents (representing quality coaches) contacting him for interviews.

When you have the foundation of Sid and Geno you'll have coaches knocking. It's just a matter of picking one who has the mindset and tactics that mesh with the roster and GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad