Blue Jays Discussion: Maybe guys are starting to turn it around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 14, 2011
Ok, so it's just Syndergaard.

Hech is turning into one of the best defensive shortstops in the game (led all shortstops last year in UZR/150) and Desclafini could have been a decent cheap option as a #4 pitcher for us (thou to be honest, I really didn't think much of him when the trade happened). Its a shame what happened to Alvarez thou, he was finally starting to look like a top end pitcher before his nasty shoulder injuries. We still don't know how guys like Norris, Hoffman and Nicolino (who I'm not a big fan of at the moment) will turn out thou.

BTW, I'm not saying I'm devastated by the lost of this players, like everyone around here, Noah is the only one player that makes me feel a bit disappointed from time to time.

Last edited:

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Syndergaard aside, AA made terrific moves. His moves were also fun to behold. Every trade deadline was like the climax of a great movie. Shapeyero is lulling me to sleep.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Syndergaard aside, AA made terrific moves. His moves were also fun to behold. Every trade deadline was like the climax of a great movie. Shapeyero is lulling me to sleep.

Lol Shapiro isn't even the GM....

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I said his first four years, from the time he was hired until the day before the Marlins trade, were amazing. I specifically said everything that happened after that is debatable.

If you could go back to the day before the Marlins trade, what would you think of his tenure to that point?

Unsuccessful?

He made great draft decisions, and rebuilt our farm, but at the end of the day, what did we get out of that? 11 playoff games?

That Donaldson deal will go down as one of the best ever, but that Dickey deal was probably one of the worst. AA was blinded by a CY Young, and I remember several on this board cringed at the deal. I won't say anything about the Marlins deal, Jose Reyes and Josh Johnson were pretty awesome pick ups at the time, but neither really worked out (Reyes had some success, ending wasn't pretty).

Seriously, he was getting bashed constantly in early July. Completely sold the farm, got us 11 playoff games, and suddenly he's beloved. It's Odd. AA was far from the worst we have had, or could of had, but he was far from great, even if he did some great things.

Good on Shapiro and Atkins. They're allowing the unrest around the team build up, until the time it is safe to can Gibby and bring in their guy (Wedge?) and begin the gutting of this team.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Unsuccessful?

He made great draft decisions, and rebuilt our farm, but at the end of the day, what did we get out of that? 11 playoff games?

That Donaldson deal will go down as one of the best ever, but that Dickey deal was probably one of the worst. AA was blinded by a CY Young, and I remember several on this board cringed at the deal. I won't say anything about the Marlins deal, Jose Reyes and Josh Johnson were pretty awesome pick ups at the time, but neither really worked out (Reyes had some success, ending wasn't pretty).

Seriously, he was getting bashed constantly in early July. Completely sold the farm, got us 11 playoff games, and suddenly he's beloved. It's Odd. AA was far from the worst we have had, or could of had, but he was far from great, even if he did some great things.

Good on Shapiro and Atkins. They're allowing the unrest around the team build up, until the time it is safe to can Gibby and bring in their guy (Wedge?) and begin the gutting of this team.

There will be no gutting. This is a very good team that will get out of thier funk.

Also, about AA, I didn't like him. But prospects are currency. You can trade them for immediate help. I love what he did last season. He reignited the passion for this team. I still think this year will be a good one. I think some fans just want to see carnage instead of the excitement we saw last season.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Every trade deadline? Wasn't last year really the only deadline that AA made any significant moves?

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
Cause he's the boss

Alright but it's the equivalent of us firing Beeston last year instead of AA or Gibbons.

The Indians are one of the best teams in baseball right now(6th in run differential) and most of it was put together by Atkins. They always had the starting pitching just needed to get better in other areas.

Usual lineup for the Jays today, Pillar batting 8th and barney 9th vs a lefty.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Alright but it's the equivalent of us firing Beeston last year instead of AA or Gibbons.

The Indians are one of the best teams in baseball right now(6th in run differential) and most of it was put together by Atkins. They always had the pitching just needed to get better in other areas.

Usual lineup for the Jays today, Pillar batting 8th and barney 9th vs a lefty.

Beeston was more of a business guy. Baseball decisions weren't going through him. They said that Shapiro has final say in baseball decisions. That's one of the reasons why AA did not want to stay.

Shimso

Oct 9, 2011
Every trade deadline? Wasn't last year really the only deadline that AA made any significant moves?

In 2014, the Jays traded Danny Valencia for Liam Hendricks & Eric Kratz; right after the trade Valencia heated up. Also, the Jays traded Deck McGuire for cash. So exciting & significant.

I wanted AA to say but a massive portion of this fanbase has totally flipped the narrative now that he's gone. Even after the Tulo trade it seemed like tons of people wanted him gone because he never made the playoffs and Dickey didn't pan out. Now, every move he has made is amazing...

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
There will be no gutting. This is a very good team that will get out of thier funk.

Also, about AA, I didn't like him. But prospects are currency. You can trade them for immediate help. I love what he did last season. He reignited the passion for this team. I still think this year will be a good one. I think some fans just want to see carnage instead of the excitement we saw last season.

Perhaps gutting was the wrong word. However, it wouldn't shock me to see Bautista and EE both dealt by July 31st. Which, 2 of our top 4 players being dealt is a pretty big junk of the core.

Sure, prospects are currency, but to me that mentality should be secondary, with developing them being first, or at least dealing them for other assets. Price was never an asset for us. We paid quite a lot for 11 regular games and 4 appearances in the post-season.

However, I do agree that deal did kick start the passion of this team, that was missing for quite a while.

To me, in the 3 years as AGM, and 6 years as GM, he got us 11 playoff games. I'm not willing to act like he was a great mastermind, that the evil Shapiro ran out of town.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad