Management Maybe Cam and Don were right after all.....

Would the Bruins have started the season 6-1 if Cassidy was still coach?

• Yes

Votes: 10 10.8%
  • No

Votes: 83 89.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
So disregard the regular season, except for specific games of your choosing. Call them small when they’re one of the biggest teams in the league. It’s a take that’s for sure.
When did they become one of the biggest teams in the league?
CB6C383D-DED0-4F60-ACC4-A743149427BA.png

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
To soon to know honestly. Bruins had a similar hot start when Cassidy took over behind the bench

first 6 games under Cassidy: 6-1-0 / +13 goal diff
first 6 games under Monty: 6-1-0 / +10 goal diff

As others have said, every coach has a shelf life and Cassidy hit his. Players can only hear the same message so many times before it gets stale and loses its impact.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
So disregard the regular season, except for specific games of your choosing. Call them small when they’re one of the biggest teams in the league. It’s a take that’s for sure.

The problem is some of the physically large players play small hockey (Coyle & Carlo for example). And of the physically small players only Clifton plays large hockey.

I love Charlie Coyle but for a player his size (6-3, 200 pounds) he does not take the body as much as I would like him to. Too often I've seen him pass up the opportunity to check an opponent. And don't get me started on Carlo's lack of physicality (although with his concussion issues he may no longer have a choice but to play smaller if he wants to continue playing at all).

It seems every playoff season the Bruins get hammered down by their more physical opponents. I'm sick of it and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Back to topic- IMO the jury is still out on Cam & Don. They haven't drafted all that well and most of their big UFA signings have been catastrophic. A 6-1 start does not change those facts.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
As long as we’re giving out kudos to players that have exceeded expectations so far, I have to give a lot of credit to Clifton right now. He’s setting the physical tone on the backend night in and night out. I know he’s a polarizing dude at times here, but he’s been consistently one of their best all around defenseman so far.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I'm thrilled with the hot start - long may it reign.

Way too early to know how this will all play out this season and way too many questions for the short term to know how this will all play out in terms of coaching question. So far very happy with Monty -- as I was with Butch (and yes, I loved Claude).

As others have suggested, lots of new coaches (including Butchie) are off to hot starts this season. I've been critical of Sweeney (not for the team he's put together this season -- I've said before I think it will be an exciting season) but if you've got a group of solid players and they can't get motivated by a new coach then you have a problem.

Keeping my powder dry and thoroughly enjoying start to this season and have high hopes.

In longer terms praying we sign Pasta, that Krejci and/or Bergie re sign next year, and that we find two young top six centers for the future.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
The problem is some of the physically large players play small hockey (Coyle & Carlo for example). And of the physically small players only Clifton plays large hockey.

I love Charlie Coyle but for a player his size (6-3, 200 pounds) he does not take the body as much as I would like him to. Too often I've seen him pass up the opportunity to check an opponent. And don't get me started on Carlo's lack of physicality (although with his concussion issues he may no longer have a choice but to play smaller if he wants to continue playing at all).

It seems every playoff season the Bruins get hammered down by their more physical opponents. I'm sick of it and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Back to topic- IMO the jury is still out on Cam & Don. They haven't drafted all that well and most of their big UFA signings have been catastrophic. A 6-1 start does not change those facts.

The Hurricanes were more physical?

I don't think so.

I'm thrilled with the hot start - long may it reign.

Way too early to know how this will all play out this season and way too many questions for the short term to know how this will all play out in terms of coaching question. So far very happy with Monty -- as I was with Butch (and yes, I loved Claude).

As others have suggested, lots of new coaches (including Butchie) are off to hot starts this season. I've been critical of Sweeney (not for the team he's put together this season -- I've said before I think it will be an exciting season) but if you've got a group of solid players and they can't get motivated by a new coach then you have a problem.

Keeping my powder dry and thoroughly enjoying start to this season and have high hopes.

In longer terms praying we sign Pasta, that Krejci and/or Bergie re sign next year, and that we find two young top six centers for the future.

Me too.

Of course, we can thank Sweeney & Neely for them.

Reactions: Ladyfan

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA

Jacobs gets a few million bucks from a handful of home playoff games and Cam and Donny boy used to play for the Bruins. IMO, that is viewed as a "success" in the eyes of Mr. Burns and hopalong Charlie.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
The Hurricanes were more physical?

I don't think so.

Me too.

Of course, we can thank Sweeney & Neely for them.
Agreed. I thought it was the right time to move on from Claude. It certainly appears it was the right time to move on from Butch. As many others have said, coaches have a shelf life.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
As long as we’re giving out kudos to players that have exceeded expectations so far, I have to give a lot of credit to Clifton right now. He’s setting the physical tone on the backend night in and night out. I know he’s a polarizing dude at times here, but he’s been consistently one of their best all around defenseman so far.

I have a friend who works for a Div 1 Hockey East team and when Clifton came to the Bruins he told my brother and me that he was "the meanest little SOB" in the entire Hockey East program.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
It's still early but the team has come out of the gate far better than anyone could have imagined especially with 2 key pieces not due back for at least another month.

Obviously, Ullmark has been a major factor but more importantly, the team is responding to Monty giving everyone a clean sheet.

Cam hinted that Cassidy was in trouble after the loss to Carolina

The timeline is important as even though Cam said Cassidy's future was Don's call, Sweeney was still in limbo as well.

Jim Montgomery was on their radar and they knew he had no issues working in St. Louis for the last 2 seasons as an assistant. More importantly, Monty was an outsider.

My gut feeling is Bergie would have retired if Cassidy came back.

View attachment 599022
worth noting that Vegas also off to a hot start with 12 points in 8 games. Sometimes it's just about fit.

I'm also tired of people framing things as if you can only be a Sweeney guy or a Cassidy/Head Coach guy (not you, just sort of a general sentiment around here). Virtually nothing in life is that black & white. Both guys certainly had their share of blame & mistakes. In the end I think it was definitely the right move for this team to move on from Cassidy and think Monty seems like a great fit so far, but that doesn't mean that Sweeney's plan and record are flawless.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Sweeney needs to be more accessible and learn the writers nicknames and he will be treated better by the Knights of the Keyboard

Cassidy was brilliant at media manipulation- he could be screaming at a player walk out of the locker room a moment later and see a writer and flash a big smile with those good looks and 365 days a year tan and call them by first name or nickname and he’s getting good press

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I am among the small group here that think Sweeney and Cam are fine.

You would think the Bruins were one of the worst teams on the NHL if you were to believe some here.

It is very early in the season, but it is difficult to not be pleased with the early success of our team.
I'm in the small group that thinks Sweeney is more than just fine. Just last week I called him a top 5 GM in the league.

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
I have enjoyed the early success and it has certainly exceeded my expectations. Having said that, I do find their October schedule to be favorable.

November will be more challenging. They’ve done extremely well to bank points early. I hope it can continue.

While I’m at it, I know this probably isn’t the thread for it, but I have to give credit to Foligno. This a guy who was boo’d on opening night. He worked his ass of this off-season and has actually been effective and contributing. He still likely won’t live up fully to his contract, but I admire his resilience.

He hears the voices and the criticisms. He didn’t fold, he didn’t pout, he worked hard to get back on track. If you can’t appreciate that What can you?

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
I am also thrilled with the start. I haven't watched much due to the audio issues on SN Now. and the highlights are the same. Frustrating.

I hope they keep it going and that leads to Pasta signing. But my gut says he won't and will be playing somewhere else a year from now.

Reactions: Gordoff

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
Although somedays I don't agree with this statement, but I think we, as bruin fans, could do a lot worse for a GM. I worry that next year the centre depth will bite them in the ash but I think i will reserve judgment until then.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
If that's what you took from that, by all means... Have at it.

OR

The regular season doesn't equate to playoff success, ask Toronto + Florida. I'm worried of the bruins weaknesses from watching the games and there are a handful of teams that will test those weaknesses more than the rest.
Toronto (Edmonton et al) has always had a mentality of outscore teams. That works fine during the regular season when you play a lot of teams that can't do that. In the playoffs, defense tightens, you play better teams , and playing the same team in a series allows them to make adjustments to shut down your scoring. It's the teams that can muck and grind, block shots and are willing to work hard that win. Talent alone will not win you a stanley cup

Reactions: Gordoff
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad