Management Maybe Cam and Don were right after all.....

Would the Bruins have started the season 6-1 if Cassidy was still coach?

• Yes

Votes: 10 10.8%
  • No

Votes: 83 89.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
It's still early but the team has come out of the gate far better than anyone could have imagined especially with 2 key pieces not due back for at least another month.

Obviously, Ullmark has been a major factor but more importantly, the team is responding to Monty giving everyone a clean sheet.

Cam hinted that Cassidy was in trouble after the loss to Carolina

The timeline is important as even though Cam said Cassidy's future was Don's call, Sweeney was still in limbo as well.

Jim Montgomery was on their radar and they knew he had no issues working in St. Louis for the last 2 seasons as an assistant. More importantly, Monty was an outsider.

My gut feeling is Bergie would have retired if Cassidy came back.

1666767539076.png

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Obviously we are all very pleased with the hot start, as well as surprised. But I think it's too soon to be taking victory laps or putting down the previous coach. Cassidy has Vegas off to a hot start they likely wouldn't have had under DeBoer; DeBoer has Dallas off to a hot start; etc.

NHL coaches have shelf lives and teams have hot and cold streaks, even at the starts of seasons.

Let's appreciate the great start, but let's also see how the B's fare against Carolina, NYR, Colorado, as well as how the team and fans respond when a losing streak inevitably comes.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Obviously we are all very pleased with the hot start, as well as surprised. But I think it's too soon to be taking victory laps or putting down the previous coach. Cassidy has Vegas off to a hot start they likely wouldn't have had under DeBoer; DeBoer has Dallas off to a hot start; etc.

NHL coaches have shelf lives and teams have hot and cold streaks, even at the starts of seasons.

Let's appreciate the great start, but let's also see how the B's fare against Carolina, NYR, Colorado, as well as how the team and fans respond when a losing streak inevitably comes.

Absolutely. The continued digs at Cassidy from some here are as laughable as they are predictable. Under him the Bruins made the playoffs every season and the last time he had a legitimately top-tier roster to work with the team won the Presidents' Trophy. In that sense, he never did less than you could reasonably ask for. It's his postseason record where you get the impression that he perhaps left something on the table. And that's where Monty's predominantly going to be judged and compared as well. Until it comes to that, we won't really know just how good he is. And for a team still going full-tilt for a Cup, the playoffs are all that really matters.

I thought the time was right for the Bruins to move on from Butch because his message had grown stale here and it was clear that at least some players had indeed tuned him out. Montgomery was a great pickup, obviously the hot start is great, and I think he's going to continue to serve this team very well. Just how well, we will see.

I think the issue for many was not that Cassidy was fired. There was always a solid case to be made for that and I think the record will ultimately reflect that Cam and Don made the right call, especially when they had a strong replacement lined up. It was the element of clear ass-covering/deflection that went with it that I and at least some others objected to. Blame-shifting is always ugly. But that's by and by and the important thing is the organization has put itself in a better position for short-term success than it would have been by standing pat. So well done management, but let's see if it really pays off in the spring.

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
So the good record is nice but let’s not pretend they don’t have things to tighten up, especially on the backend. I’m not going to be critical yet because they’re still not putting their full team on the ice yet and I suspect some of the defensive lapses to be less frequent once McAvoy is back. As it stands today, despite the 6-1 record, they too frequently give up odd man rushes the other way. So far Ullmark has bailed them out but that can only last so long given the law of averages. You cannot keep tempting fate that way before it catches up to you.

But again, full judgment is being held back until they ice their full team.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
So the good record is nice but let’s not pretend they don’t have things to tighten up, especially on the backend. I’m not going to be critical yet because they’re still not putting their full team on the ice yet and I suspect some of the defensive lapses to be less frequent once McAvoy is back. As it stands today, despite the 6-1 record, they too frequently give up odd man rushes the other way. So far Ullmark has bailed them out but that can only last so long given the law of averages. You cannot keep tempting fate that way before it catches up to you.

But again, full judgment is being held back until they ice their full team.

To be fair this is pretty much the story league-wide here early in the season while teams get their structure dialed in. The non-Bruin games I've watched have mostly all been track-meets, trading chances back and forth.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Im estatic. They've looked very good and are only going to improve once healthy.

That said, Im still taking it a game at a time. They need to continue to rack up the points. November (next week.. cant believe it) starts off with some tough teams.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I'm very happy with the good start, but it's 7 games into the season. We could go undefeated, but if they get bounced in the first round again, who cares..
Aside from the injuries to key players I do not believe the regular season is what everyone is concerned about,, I want to know if this team is built for the playoffs.........

Reactions: Gordoff

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa

I think the Bruins are probably out performing what many non bruins fans thought they would be doing. I’m happy with the hot start as well and think a new voice is helpful but If you take a look at the teams we played most aren’t going to make the playoffs.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Cassidy is a great coach. Monty is a great coach. Sometimes great coaches need to be replaced for the same reason great players get traded. It's just time for a change of scenery for all involved.

I'll caveat that the decision to fire Cassidy was only correct because they ultimately make the right hire. If they hired any of their other short list candidates this is probably a major move backwards.

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
I'm glad to see their playing well, Ullmark is a big part of that. I'm impressed with Zacha's speed and Taylor hall has been playing consistent, we have a chance at 3 strong scoring lines when everyone's back

However, I will not get duped by regular season play. There are specific matchups i'm waiting on to see during the season to see if this team will fair any better than they have over the last 3-4 years in the playoffs. I'll beat this dead horse all season long, we're too small for playoff hockey and not skilled enough to compensate for the lack of size. We're skilled enough to get into the playoffs, so i'm not too concerned about record or standings.

My fear is we'll still get pushed around, manhandled in our own end, and not be able to keep up with playoff tempo. So there are some games on our schedule that i'm more anxious about than others. But I think they'll give us a glimpse as to what to expect come spring.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
It's a long season, but having this kind of record to start the year without McAvoy and Marchand will be a boon when they hit the inevitable rough patch.

The players have responded well to the new coach, but Vegas is the second-best team and have the same goal differential.

Ulimately, winning is what matters. If the results end up being better, then it was the right choice.

Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I'm glad to see their playing well, Ullmark is a big part of that. I'm impressed with Zacha's speed and Taylor hall has been playing consistent, we have a chance at 3 strong scoring lines when everyone's back

However, I will not get duped by regular season play. There are specific matchups i'm waiting on to see during the season to see if this team will fair any better than they have over the last 3-4 years in the playoffs. I'll beat this dead horse all season long, we're too small for playoff hockey and not skilled enough to compensate for the lack of size. We're skilled enough to get into the playoffs, so i'm not too concerned about record or standings.

My fear is we'll still get pushed around, manhandled in our own end, and not be able to keep up with playoff tempo. So there are some games on our schedule that i'm more anxious about than others. But I think they'll give us a glimpse as to what to expect come spring.
So disregard the regular season, except for specific games of your choosing. Call them small when they’re one of the biggest teams in the league. It’s a take that’s for sure.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Ullmark is playing great but what I don’t understand why are posters surprise.
Last year he was 26-10 with a .914 save percentage
Remember that was a team with one center and a defense that had McAvoy and others who were in and out of the lineup

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
So disregard the regular season, except for specific games of your choosing. Call them small when they’re one of the biggest teams in the league. It’s a take that’s for sure.
If that's what you took from that, by all means... Have at it.

OR

The regular season doesn't equate to playoff success, ask Toronto + Florida. I'm worried of the bruins weaknesses from watching the games and there are a handful of teams that will test those weaknesses more than the rest.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
If that's what you took from that, by all means... Have at it.

OR

The regular season doesn't equate to playoff success, ask Toronto + Florida. I'm worried of the bruins weaknesses from watching the games and there are a handful of teams that will test those weaknesses more than the rest.
I mean..."The regular season doesn't equate to playoff success" is a tautology. It's obviously true. Since they're not connected. But you're choosing a few regular season games to decide how the Bruins will fare in the playoffs. That seems to contradict the above at least in part.

Regardless of record, I can't understand how someone could be watching and conclude the Bruins are too small and not skilled enough to be an elite team. It's mind boggling.

brighton

Oct 20, 2022
Massachusetts
Too early to really make an evaluation on Monty; I appreciate the entertaining wins but a few were entertaining because sloppy play kept it close until the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad