May the force be with you: All encompassing Star Wars thread (spoilers inside)

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Saw it again tonight. I actually enjoyed it more the second time. I really like the new characters. Rey and Finn are super cool.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
I shouldn't have re-watched episodes 1 & 2. Was meh on them as a kid, but by god they were awful when I was a little older. Always kinda liked episode 3.

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
I shouldn't have re-watched episodes 1 & 2. Was meh on them as a kid, but by god they were awful when I was a little older. Always kinda liked episode 3.

Episode 2 and 3 are ok, but really Anakin's creepy romance with Padme just ruins the prequels.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I can finally join the thread!!! Saw TFA on New Year's Day, and was really impressed. It isn't a perfect movie and didn't do anything super groundbreaking, but it laid the foundation for the next movie to be huge.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I can't even get through clips of the prequels anymore. The fake CGI backdrops are just unbearable now, and that's not even counting the stilted acting, bad writing, and dull pacing. Ewan McGregor seems like the only guy who actually wanted to be there. I gotta give Natalie Portman credit as she was given by far the worst dialogue of any character and still managed to make it sound sincere.

The only thing still fun to watch from those three trainwrecks was the Darth Maul lightSabre fight.

Even the vehicle designs for these new films is 1000X better than the prequels. Apart from those sleek Naboo starfighters, there really wasn't anything memorable from the prequels.

Side rant: There are obviously a lot of truly useless things out on the Internets, but I don't think anything qualifies more than grown men doing a toy review on YouTube. I haven't clicked on a single one, but any time I'm curious about the new designs in SW, a whole slew of those invariably pop up. Good Lord...

EDIT: Is there a reason HF keeps correcting the spelling of "Sab3r" in rather annoying fashion?

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Finally saw Episode 7. It's pretty damn amazing, maybe even the best of the series. Sure the original Star Wars had the sentimental value and some shocking moments, but Ep. 7 was wall-to-wall excitement. The whole movie flew by.

My only issues are the villain, played by someone who looks like my former pot-smoking guitar teacher (and who can pass as a punk rock/emo musician easily) and a bunch of ridiculous coincidences throughout the movie. For example, all it took to find Luke after the first 40 minutes was R2D2 waking up, and it just so happens he wakes up right when everything ends, after years in sleep. And I didn't know you could do all sorts of crazy **** with The Force, like stop bullets mid-air or read minds.

Movie was still a masterpiece though.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Finally saw Episode 7. It's pretty damn amazing, maybe even the best of the series. Sure the original Star Wars had the sentimental value and some shocking moments, but Ep. 7 was wall-to-wall excitement. The whole movie flew by.

My only issues are the villain, played by someone who looks like my former pot-smoking guitar teacher (and who can pass as a punk rock/emo musician easily) and a bunch of ridiculous coincidences throughout the movie. For example, all it took to find Luke after the first 40 minutes was R2D2 waking up, and it just so happens he wakes up right when everything ends, after years in sleep. And I didn't know you could do all sorts of crazy **** with The Force, like stop bullets mid-air or read minds.

You seem to forget Darth Vader read Luke's mind and learned he had a daughter right before their final duel in Return of the Jedi. The "freezing a laser bolt in midair" thing is definitely new though.

Episode V IMO is still the pinnacle IMO. As EW put it, all of the SW films that are actually watchable have at least one iconic scene. Empire Strikes Back feels like it has nothing BUT iconic scenes. And John Williams' best work by far, the Imperial March, makes its debut in that film in the best possible way, showing you massive Star Destroyers getting dwarfed by an EVEN BIGGER EFFING STAR DESTROYER.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Even the vehicle designs for these new films is 1000X better than the prequels. Apart from those sleek Naboo starfighters, there really wasn't anything memorable from the prequels.

They may have looked a little goofy but I was always a fan of Flash Speeders.

EDIT: Is there a reason HF keeps correcting the spelling of "Sab3r" in rather annoying fashion?

Some big shot mod was annoyed by people misspelling the Sabres.

I share your sentiment on Kylo, although the motive for that choice is rather evident, so whatever.

Jedi mind tricks have always been around. There's also a rap group called that. It was just made a bigger device, and frankly suffered some inflation through that. Then again, these two are supposed to be extremely strong with the Force. That's why Kylo stopped a laser mid-air too. It's something not even Darth Vader was shown capable of, so it's meant to highlight the fact that Kylo is extremely powerful but, for now, unable to always wield that power effectively.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
IMO Kylo Ren has the potential to be a better villain than Darth Vader (potential, not there yet). He has shown great power and isn't at all in control of his emotions yet (his anger outbursts while controversial, allow for some great character development). If he can move out from the puppet stage that Vader and Maul were in, he could become extremely iconic.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
IMO Kylo Ren has the potential to be a better villain than Darth Vader (potential, not there yet). He has shown great power and isn't at all in control of his emotions yet (his anger outbursts while controversial, allow for some great character development). If he can move out from the puppet stage that Vader and Maul were in, he could become extremely iconic.

Would be kind of cool if we actually got to witness some Sith treachery rather than just hear about it like Palpatine suggested in movie #3. Something along the lines of Kylo Ren being the one to eliminate Snoke ascending to the top of the ladder on the darkside, rather than the usual good vs bad dynamic.

I'd be disappointed if he plays out to be Snoke's puppet the duration of the trilogy.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
On the prequel subject, there are fan edits out there that make those movies far, far more watch able. I don't think ROTS was that bad, but the other two were pretty bad. They are canon, so I think there are fairly necessary to watch, but they are a choke it down situation.

My GF hadn't seen the whole series yet, so I made her watch them before we went and saw TFA... the first two are worse than you remember.

I'd be disappointed if he plays out to be Snoke's puppet the duration of the trilogy.

Me too.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Phantom Menace has the best lightsaber fight in the whole series. So there's that.

Much prefer that to AOTC which is just a whole lot of meh. Still an okay movie I guess.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Attack of the Clones was an unmitigated mess, especially that final incoherent battle scene that featured about 90 different types of vehicles, lasers, and weird bubble blasters. Don't even get me started on that weird gladiatorial scene where Lucas trots out a series of increasingly silly-looking CGI creatures that looked more comical than intimidating. He seemed to forget that the less you show of said monsters (i.e., the Rancor in Jedi or even the shark in Jaws) the more menacing they become.

It's a shame we're going back to Geonosis in "Rogue One," I'm hoping there's no cartoon creatures or bubble blasters.

Agreed on the lightsaber battle though. Still about the only part of the prequels I found enjoyable. Too bad Lucas didn't keep Maul around. He was a very good villain.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
They may have looked a little goofy but I was always a fan of Flash Speeders.

Those were cool, yes. I'll also admit the Bongo was kinda cool even though I didn't like the scene in which it was featured.

An interesting side note I read--so apparently Captain Phasma's armor was made from the remnants of one of the Emperor's old yachts. One of these deals.

latest

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Those were cool, yes. I'll also admit the Bongo was kinda cool even though I didn't like the scene in which it was featured.

An interesting side note I read--so apparently Captain Phasma's armor was made from the remnants of one of the Emperor's old yachts. One of these deals.

latest

Amidala's ship figured into the films a lot more than Phasma did. What a let-down.

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
the new movie is alright but not as good as everyone makes it out to be.

maxim84

Oct 19, 2013
Zagreb
Rey is a force baby just like Anakin Skywalker was.

That's my favourite theory.

I don't think so...remember how Anakin was young, 9 if I recall correctly and the force had so much influence on his abillities and instincts and reflexes (or how Qaigon-Jin said he can see the future so his reactions seem faster than other people's). If Rey was also conceived without...you know...and she is in her twenties already shouldn't the force guide her better...I mean she is nothing special in the begining, just a young girl scavanging for old spare parts to get minimum food...
For me the last scene is cruical...when she meets Luke Skywalker...the camera is set in a way as if they both get a weird feeling in their stomach "wow, that is my father/ finally I see my doughter"
However that brings a lot of questions like.... who are the people that Rey is waiting for, did Luke left her with another family after birth? If there was a mother, why she didn't stay with her? Did her mother die at child birth? All things already seen before...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad