GDT: May 6 • Sweden vs. Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
A good game, yeah I like goals. Swedish coach MÃ¥rts stated that he players didndidn't dare to stay "in the heat" after the first. You really need to play your outmost offensive game against this Canadian team otherwise you'll gice them space and they take over. I hope leasson is learned now (not that the players was'n't aware of this. It is a difference between knowing and doing though).

theranfordflop

Jul 2, 2003
Vancouver
Yeah, and add puck-possesion and skill. But of course 1-0 is better for hockey than 6-4.

If you judge the quality of hockey by the number of goals scored, you're missing out on a lot.

NHL hockey showcases amazing skill, better than any other league in the world. What makes it even more impressive is that the players can do what they do in such tight confines.

I'm not against a slight increase in rink size, but Olympic sized rinks do take the wow factor out of the game a little bit. Just too much space.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
If you judge the quality of hockey by the number of goals scored, you're missing out on a lot.

NHL hockey showcases amazing skill, better than any other league in the world. What makes it even more impressive is that the players can do what they do in such tight confines.

I'm not against a slight increase in rink size, but Olympic sized rinks do take the wow factor out of the game a little bit. Just too much space.

Man, I couldn't stand a single full play-off game this season. I bought Gamecenter translations and have now totally stopped to watch them. Because if you aren't emotionally engaged when the team you root for plays, the hockey is so much boring. It's always the same: run, hit, dump, chase, shoot. These are 5 words that perfectly describe NHL hockey.

But as we just saw, NHLers can play the different hockey, which isn't about running and hitting.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Hey remember when Canada beat everybody in the Olympics 1-0? So much skill.

Big ice hockey may as well be soccer.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Man, I couldn't stand a single full play-off game this season. I bought Gamecenter translations and have now totally stopped to watch them. Because if you aren't emotionally engaged when the team you root for plays, the hockey is so much boring. It's always the same: run, hit, dump, chase, shoot. These are 5 words that perfectly describe NHL hockey.

But as we just saw, NHLers can play the different hockey, which isn't about running and hitting.

NHL coaches are choking the life out of the game. It's a shame because players are bigger, faster and more skilled than ever before but you'd never know it by watching the playoffs. It's a mad scramble to get a shot through the wall of bodies and on net. Having said that, international hockey can be just as defensive-minded. We didn't see a ton of goals in Sochi and it's often that way on big ice. Trapping and keeping teams to the outside are paramount. These worlds seem to be an exception, though. It's been enjoyable to see.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
NHL coaches are choking the life out of the game. It's a shame because players are bigger, faster and more skilled than ever before but you'd never know it by watching the playoffs. It's a mad scramble to get a shot through the wall of bodies and on net. Having said that, international hockey can be just as defensive-minded. We didn't see a ton of goals in Sochi and it's often that way on big ice. Trapping and keeping teams to the outside are paramount. These worlds seem to be an exception, though. It's been enjoyable to see.

And why have they been an exception? These are imperfect teams prone to mistakes which lead to offense which leads to more goals. The size of ice has no role here. It's the same at the World Juniors, always entertaining hockey on any ice surface! Why? Imperfect players prone to mistakes leading to offense, leading to more goals. Take all the best players in today's game with superior coaching and adequate preparation, we'll get the Sochi Olympics. A complete bore snooze fest. and I imagine the pending World Cup will be much of the same. The size of the ice has nothing to do with it. The way to solve goal scoring in the NHL? Expand by 12 teams, incorporate 12 AHL teams in the NHL and Voila... McDavid breaks Gretzky's single season scoring record. And I lived in Europe for 7 years attending a lot of hockey, domestic leagues and WHC. If the NHL ever goes to an Olympic size ice surface, then it better be after I'm long gone and pushing up daises. Big ice = boring. I'm not sure about you, but I found that the Tampa v Montreal game had a whole lot more entertainment value than the Canada v Sweden game. And I am neither a Habs fan or Bolts fan. The 6-4 result in the Canada v Sweden game was due to atrocious goaltending. That was some gawdawful goaltending. I don't know how that level of goaltending makes the game more appealing. Good grief.

Last edited:

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
If you want to make the games more entertaining, just hire the announcer from the highlights video on the previous page. Problem solved. I was watching the video at work and was just laughing like mad for about five minutes. A good thing no one else was around.

Macman

May 15, 2004
And why have they been an exception? These are imperfect teams prone to mistakes which lead to offense which leads to more goals. The size of ice has no role here. It's the same at the World Juniors, always entertaining hockey on any ice surface! Why? Imperfect players prone to mistakes leading to offense, leading to more goals. Take all the best players in today's game with superior coaching and adequate preparation, we'll get the Sochi Olympics. A complete bore snooze fest. and I imagine the pending World Cup will be much of the same. The size of the ice has nothing to do with it. The way to solve goal scoring in the NHL? Expand by 12 teams, incorporate 12 AHL teams in the NHL and Voila... McDavid breaks Gretzky's single season scoring record. And I lived in Europe for 7 years attending a lot of hockey, domestic leagues and WHC. If the NHL ever goes to an Olympic size ice surface, then it better be after I'm long gone and pushing up daises. Big ice = boring. I'm not sure about you, but I found that the Tampa v Montreal game had a whole lot more entertainment value than the Canada v Sweden game. And I am neither a Habs fan or Bolts fan. The 6-4 result in the Canada v Sweden game was due to atrocious goaltending. That was some gawdawful goaltending. I don't know how that level of goaltending makes the game more appealing. Good grief.

I agree with you about mistakes but I don't agree about the Tampa-Montreal game being more entertaining. I thought it was brutal. The only moment of open ice in the whole game was on the winning goal. The rest of the time we saw two teams struggling to get decent shots on net. Lots of intensity, yes, but extremely ugly hockey. I also agree that big ice isn't the answer, although I wouldn't mind seeing NHL ice widened a bit, maybe two or three feet just to give players a bit more space and time. Some of the worst displays of boring, hitless, defence-first hockey have been on big ice.

I know you're a big fan of McDavid. I am too. I really believe he has a chance to be the best player ever. It would be a shame to have his genius stifled by the smothering, boring brand of hockey being played today.

Macman

May 15, 2004
If you want to make the games more entertaining, just hire the announcer from the highlights video on the previous page. Problem solved. I was watching the video at work and was just laughing like mad for about five minutes. A good thing no one else was around.

:handclap:

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I agree with you about mistakes but I don't agree about the Tampa-Montreal game being more entertaining. I thought it was brutal. The only moment of open ice in the whole game was on the winning goal. The rest of the time we saw two teams struggling to get decent shots on net. Lots of intensity, yes, but extremely ugly hockey. I also agree that big ice isn't the answer, although I wouldn't mind seeing NHL ice widened a bit, maybe two or three feet just to give players a bit more space and time. Some of the worst displays of boring, hitless, defence-first hockey have been on big ice.

I know you're a big fan of McDavid. I am too. I really believe he has a chance to be the best player ever. It would be a shame to have his genius stifled by the smothering, boring brand of hockey being played today.

I can give you the solution, but you won't like it.... nor would it be acceptable to the overwhelming majority of NHL fans.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I think the 6+ goal trend will continue until at least the QF. France, Switzerland and Austria up next. God help them.

Well Switzerland has not a bad record against CAN over the last couple of WHCs...

2010: Switzerland beat Canada 4-1
2011: Canada beat Switzerland 4-3
2012: Canada beat Switzerland 3-2
2013: Switzerland beat Canada 3-2

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The Swiss are always a tough opponent.

Canada had trouble with them at the Olympics as well.

2006 - L 0-2
2010 - W 3-2 (SO)

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!

Have you watched any games this season? The product has vastly deteriorated due to clutch and grab antics.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Thanks Paul Mclean.

I wonder why all these teams with coaching vacancies arent scrambling to get the former Jack Adams winner.... :help:

I'm still not sold on the guy.

He has good offensive instincts and vision but he's so plodding and slow and weak for his frame.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'm still not sold on the guy.

He has good offensive instincts and vision but he's so plodding and slow and weak for his frame.

Agreed

He has limited upside and considerable down side

thankfully his limited upside is quite good: he's excellent with the puck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad