Friedman: Max Veronneau is available

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Doesnt seem like a deadline kinda guy.

Not for a contending team, but more for another seller who happens to have less forward depth than Ottawa.

For example, if the Ducks sell off a couple of their rental forwards (Grant, Deslauriers, Shore etc) for picks, bodies will be coming up from the AHL, and a guy like Verroneau would have a shot at carving out a top 6 role with Gulls or even working his way into the Ducks lineup.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Haha. I just did.

At age 24, he should be right in the midst of his prime. He's producing nothing in the AHL...

What am I missing? Elite defensive forward?

He has elite straight ahead speed and has shown some scoring ability. He seems to be a relatively smart player as well. He actually looked quite good last year in the NHL. I think he has definite NHL potential, maybe a poor mans Hagelin though, but his upside is not high.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Not for a contending team, but more for another seller who happens to have less forward depth than Ottawa.

For example, if the Ducks sell off a couple of their rental forwards (Grant, Deslauriers, Shore etc) for picks, bodies will be coming up from the AHL, and a guy like Verroneau would have a shot at carving out a top 6 role with Gulls or even working his way into the Ducks lineup.
Maybe. I suppose it depends on demand and price. I see him as more likely to move in the summer. I may be wrong.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Maybe. I suppose it depends on demand and price. I see him as more likely to move in the summer. I may be wrong.

Not sure if the Sens can expect much in return here, a late pick at very best. Quite likely just a contract swap.
Seems more like a situation where they're trying to do right by a local kid and find him a better opportunity to play.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Yzerman seems to be turning over a lot of rocks to see if players can benefit from a change of scenery and seems to value having a loaded roster in Grand Rapids. I could see him having interest, but obviously for a low cost.

Could be that the Sens have already decided they don't want to qualify him as an RFA after the season, so they figure they'll try to get something for him before then.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
You know if people actually read the quote instead of saying "Who?" they would actually have an answer to their oh-so-hilarious question.

Veronneau was a highly-sought after player coming out of the NCAA last year, Friedman notes that there has been large uptick in scouts in Belleville BECAUSE he is available. If you don't know who Veronneau is, that's on you.
Such arrogance over a nothing player. Maybe the Wings can get something useful back for Kuffner.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
He attended Flames development camp twice if I remember correctly but elected to sign in his home town. We have an immense lack of right handed depth in the organization as well. Could be a fit.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Who was the last undrafted NCAA UFA to be worth a crap? Torey Krug? The rest range from barely AHL level to mediocre NHLers like Bozak and DeKeyser. I don't care how many scouts are doing basic due diligence, Veronneau isn't going to be much different.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
If we were smart (hint: we’re not) he’d be part of the return for someone’s cap dump plus a pick to balance contracts

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Kind of strange to want to move on from the kid less than a year after trading for him, that being said, the Senators have a metric ton of forward depth and are filled to the brim with future "middle-six" types, so it was always likely Verroneau would get squeezed at some point (just didn't expect it to happen this quick).

I doubt the price is very high, but the team has no reason to move on from him unless it fills a need. Picks are always nice, but for a team with as many as the Sens I don't think it would be the priority. the team could use more bodies on defence (especially if guys get shipped out at the deadline). I wouldn't be surprised to see Verroneau swapped for a defenceman in a similar situation (maybe a Goloubef type or someone a bit younger?)

We signed him, bruh.

Reactions: stempniaksen

Imnotagoodposter

Jan 5, 2020
I could definitely see teams wanting him. He’s a victim of Ottawa’s prospect depth. He doesn’t have star upside but could be a solid third liner if given a chance to shine.
Has a lot of speed to burn, doesn’t look out of place.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
He will go for a late pick or another C level prospect.

That, or he will be ham fisted into one of Ottawa's rental sell offs to balance contracts. See Francis Perron in the Karlsson trade. Perron apparently wanted out.

It's not known whether Veronneau requested a trade, but that would be a logical assumption.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Detroit should snag him for cheap.

Might wake Kuffner up.
Him and Kuffner in Detroit had beyond inflated stats picking on other Ivy League teams and the ECAC

Considering the Fabbri and Perlini trades supposedly had a little bit to do with them having ties to current Red Wings, and Yzerman putting a lot of emphasis on making the Griffins competitive, getting Veronneau would make a lot of sense for the right price.

Not sure what Yzerman would be looking to pay though.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Considering the Fabbri and Perlini trades supposedly had a little bit to do with them having ties to current Red Wings, and Yzerman putting a lot of emphasis on making the Griffins competitive, getting Veronneau would make a lot of sense for the right price.

Not sure what Yzerman would be looking to pay though.

Kyle Wood, Madison Bowey, Joe Hicketts… I'm sure any of them get a deal done.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Who was the last undrafted NCAA UFA to be worth a crap? Torey Krug? The rest range from barely AHL level to mediocre NHLers like Bozak and DeKeyser. I don't care how many scouts are doing basic due diligence, Veronneau isn't going to be much different.

Neal Pionk's having a nice year. I didn't realize Nate Schmidt was an undrafted UFA until looking it up.

I feel like there's an odd amount of expectation here with the undrafted signees. Like nobody was touting Veronneau as a surefire NHLer last year and I vaguely recall a blip in a Friedman column where his scouting contact said it was a below average crop of college UFAs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad