Friedman: Max Veronneau is available

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
In Ottawa, most of the trade talk surrounds Jean-Gabriel Pageau, but if there’s an increased presence around AHL Belleville this weekend, there’s a logical explanation. Max Veronneau is expected to return from injury, and he is available. A year ago, he was a heavily recruited NCAA free agent. The Senators have a large prospect pool, and it is not easy to carve your place.

from 31 thoughts
31 Thoughts: Will NHL players suit up at 2022 Winter Games? - Sportsnet.ca

Reactions: BHD

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
Whoops, didn’t realize a thread was already made.

Anyway, I think it could be a Brian Gibbons type deal like last TDL where Ottawa might acquire a guy who’s a 13F on most teams but could be a placeholder so Ottawa doesn’t have to call up guys post deadline from Belleville. Belleville has been on a role with Veronneau so it’s not really a huge loss either way.

Last edited:

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
What do they want, a late pick? An NHL forward? I'd give up someone like Shore for him if that would interest Ottawa if we can't get a decent pick.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
The Capitals have a lot of defensive prospects playing for their AHL club in Hershey. Maybe a prospect for prospect swap to add another forward to the mix.

What's the outlook on Veronneau?

Reactions: benbenthelava

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
belleville is really good this year and ottawa has MANY good/great prospects playing in belleville... problem is you can only have so many players down there.
he deserves to get playing time... i believe he can become a good bottom-6 player. his skating is his best attribute.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
You know if people actually read the quote instead of saying "Who?" they would actually have an answer to their oh-so-hilarious question.

Veronneau was a highly-sought after player coming out of the NCAA last year, Friedman notes that there has been large uptick in scouts in Belleville BECAUSE he is available. If you don't know who Veronneau is, that's on you.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
What's to learn from Vesey? Just because he hasn't lived up to the hype doesn't mean he wasn't worth signing, or that other NCAA free agents shouldn't be signed. A free player is a free player. They will always be worth taking a chance on.
No not the original signing, the trade.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Kind of strange to want to move on from the kid less than a year after trading for him, that being said, the Senators have a metric ton of forward depth and are filled to the brim with future "middle-six" types, so it was always likely Verroneau would get squeezed at some point (just didn't expect it to happen this quick).

I doubt the price is very high, but the team has no reason to move on from him unless it fills a need. Picks are always nice, but for a team with as many as the Sens I don't think it would be the priority. the team could use more bodies on defence (especially if guys get shipped out at the deadline). I wouldn't be surprised to see Verroneau swapped for a defenceman in a similar situation (maybe a Goloubef type or someone a bit younger?)

Reactions: Morrison

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
The Capitals have a lot of defensive prospects playing for their AHL club in Hershey. Maybe a prospect for prospect swap to add another forward to the mix.

What's the outlook on Veronneau?

Assuming the 2017/18 draft picks aren't moving, whose the most likely to go from Hershey? Johansen? Nardella?

Verroneau was tracking to be a solid bottom-six option coming out of college, but got passed (in a hurry if I'm being honest) by some of the Senators talented youth and hasn't been able to lock down a top-six spot in Belleville (he was even scratched earlier in the season for a few games).

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Haha. I just did.

At age 24, he should be right in the midst of his prime. He's producing nothing in the AHL...

What am I missing? Elite defensive forward?
highly coveted college free agent signing. likely won’t be anything more than a contract swap to help him out.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Assuming the 2017/18 draft picks aren't moving, whose the most likely to go from Hershey? Johansen? Nardella?

Verroneau was tracking to be a solid bottom-six option coming out of college, but got passed (in a hurry if I'm being honest) by some of the Senators talented youth and hasn't been able to lock down a top-six spot in Belleville (he was even scratched earlier in the season for a few games).
Lucas Johansen (LD) and Connor Hobbs (RD) are the two guys who seemingly have gotten passed by others on the depth chart and it has mainly been due to injuries keeping them off the ice. They would be the two I wouldn't be surprised to see in another organization next season.

Nardella has played very well since coming into the lineup and I think the Capitals would be happy with his development but I wouldn't say he's untouchable like Fehervary and Alexeyev. Their LD prospect pool is just too large to accommodate playing time for everyone which is why Nardella has played his off side quite a bit this year.

Was hoping for a "project" type player with more skill and upside that we could possibly swap a D prospect with but Verroneau sounds a lot like what Hershey currently has. The Bears are riddled with NHL bottom-six at best prospects like Malenstyn, Pinho, Jonsson-Fjalby, etc.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
This screams Jason Botterill. He's made an AHL-level move every year. (Actually an AHL move, most of his NHL-level moves are AHL quality in outcome, but that's just the punchline of a three year old stale joke.)

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Haha. I just did.

At age 24, he should be right in the midst of his prime. He's producing nothing in the AHL...

What am I missing? Elite defensive forward?

Lack of production has more to do with ice-time distribution than talent. Belleville is stacked. 2nd best team in the AHL right now.

He's been playing on the 3rd/4th lines behind Batherson/Abramov/Carcone at RW, and behind Brown/Norris/Chlapik/Szwarz/Kelly at C.

Jonathan Davidsson has the same problem. He has 5P in 18GP for Belleville after putting up well over 0.5 PPG his last two yearsin the SHL.

Veronneau looked like he belonged in the NHL during his 12 game stint last year. Could still develop into a decent player, just needs to play.

Last edited:
Reactions: uncleben

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Lucas Johansen (LD) and Connor Hobbs (RD) are the two guys who seemingly have gotten passed by others on the depth chart and it has mainly been due to injuries keeping them off the ice. They would be the two I wouldn't be surprised to see in another organization next season.

Nardella has played very well since coming into the lineup and I think the Capitals would be happy with his development but I wouldn't say he's untouchable like Fehervary and Alexeyev. Their LD prospect pool is just too large to accommodate playing time for everyone which is why Nardella has played his off side quite a bit this year.

Was hoping for a "project" type player with more skill and upside that we could possibly swap a D prospect with but Verroneau sounds a lot like what Hershey currently has. The Bears are riddled with NHL bottom-six at best prospects like Malenstyn, Pinho, Jonsson-Fjalby, etc.

I wouldn't be overly surprised if some team out there considered him more of a project with higher upside, but nothing we've seen in Ottawa (or Belleville for that matter) would suggest he has any real scoring upside at the NHL level. Personally, I'm not convinced he'd bring much more to the Bears than guys like Pinho or Snively do, but if they could use another guy of that ilk the cost shouldn't be an issue.

I'm partial to Nardella since I'm an ND fan, and the numbers are obviously more impressive than Johansen/Hobbs, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Sens organization prioritized the bigger/younger player.

Reactions: hb12xchamps

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad