Proposal: Max return for Chabot

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Sens probably wouldn't get much.

Lazy one dimensional OFD that makes an average salary of 9.5M over the remaining 4 years on his contract.
Some elements of truth here. But, I think it will be interesting to see how things look with another couple months (+) of coaching from Martin & Alfredsson. We have seen some improvements already in the team and its players. Structure, gap control, positioning, back checking all seem to have noticeably improved. It's clear that Chabot needs the right, defensive oriented partner as well which he hasn't got throughout most of his career. The Senators blueline is unbalanced and is heavy/stronger on the left side versus the right. This requires some patience though which is less popular than more extreme reactions.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
What type of package should Ottawa expect to receive from a team that wants him now?
The list of teams that want him at a 8 AAV and 10M salary is probably pretty short. The best you can hope for is someone else who is under performing their contract too

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Funny,
I'd offer Matheson + CGY first pick and a great prospect like Engstrom for Chabot and got laughed at saying it wasn't enough.
And here people are calling him a cap dumb ??

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Chanot is a top 30 dman in the league singed to a fair contract with a reasonable 4 years left.
It will likely be he or Chychrun now or in the summer.
Looking forward to the shit offers for either very valuable player.
I think it would be real quick and real easy to name 50+ D you'd rather have Chabot going forward. Basing it on this year alone I don't think he's been in the top 75, lots of teams have 2 or 3 D that are having much better seasons.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Funny,
I'd offer Matheson + CGY first pick and a great prospect like Engstrom for Chabot and got laughed at saying it wasn't enough.
And here people are calling him a cap dumb ??

It’s because that’s how HF works when a good player on someone else’s roster might be available.
Know nothing asshats need to jump in and explain to everyone how little they know and based on that tiny bit of knowledge expertly tell you that guys are worth nothing - or that their contract is too long or of course too short.

It’s nonsense. Chabot is a top pairing D making fair money. He does so many things well, but since the teams wheels came off this year and he’s had a couple of injuries it’s open season on bullshit.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He has started to compete and hold his gap again. A completely different looking player the past 5 games. If he can sustain this level of play there will be many suitors. They probably wont look to trade him tbh. Coming off his injury into a new system likely isnt the easiest adjustment to make.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
If the Flames move likes of Lindholm and Hanifin for first rounders, I'd move the later first rounder plus for Chabot. Flames are gonna have a ton of cap space then and I think a change of scenery could get him back on track.

The Sens are gonna have to make significant moves this off season and not just because having over 20M committed to their left defense next season is utterly nonsensical, especially for how bad they've been.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
What ridiculous horseshit.
He’s a top pairing dman.
You are delusional and a Sens homer to an excessive degree. Chabot is injury prone and worth no where near his AAV.

How about this. You clearly love Chabot. The rest of the NHL doesn’t love his contract. How about he plays it out in Ottawa. You’ll be thrilled about this.

Wondercarrot

Jul 2, 2002
You are delusional and a Sens homer to an excessive degree. Chabot is injury prone and worth no where near his AAV.

How about this. You clearly love Chabot. The rest of the NHL doesn’t love his contract. How about he plays it out in Ottawa. You’ll be thrilled about this.

How about this. I’ve watched him play all his games in Ottawa and know exactly what kind of player he is…how about you?
He’s averaged 10g 50pts/82 since he came into the league.
He’s led the league in TOI multiple times.
He was penned in to Team Canadas roster by lots of pundits for 2022 but what do they know right?
One off season and he’s a garbage cap dump lol

You’re hyper opinionated about a player you don’t seem to know much about, and probably not watched once outside of whenever he’s played your team.

You’re finally right about one thing though, I’d be thrilled if he plays it out in Ottawa.

Last edited:

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
If the Flames move likes of Lindholm and Hanifin for first rounders, I'd move the later first rounder plus for Chabot. Flames are gonna have a ton of cap space then and I think a change of scenery could get him back on track.

The Sens are gonna have to make significant moves this off season and not just because having over 20M committed to their left defense next season is utterly nonsensical, especially for how bad they've been.
You’re the Flames. Hard to get players there as UfAs in a rebuild so if you feel compelled to waste key draft picks to acquire players that once had promise but aren’t living up to their contracts… swing away.

What’s one more bad contract in Calgary? You’ve got several already. Flames don’t rebuild anyway. They just retool in order to secure the ~11th overall pick in perpetuity. Chabot’s bad contract should allow y’all to keep winning just enough games to avoid the high lottery picks you really need.

This feels like an all Canada trade between the lower level clubs north of the border. Good deck shuffling of poorly arranged chairs on a sinking ship

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Chabot and Trouba would make sense as an even swap, but as much as the Rangers could really use another puck mover who can help us transition up ice quicker, we also aren’t exactly killer defensively as is. But on paper it’s a swap that makes sense on both sides. Miller, Chabot and Lindgren would be the LH D, Fox and Schneider on the right. Ottawa needs RH D that are less offensively focused. NYR needs to get faster and smoother with the puck. Trouba will never waive though.

Wondercarrot

Jul 2, 2002
Lol if he was moveable he'd have been moved already. Nobodies paying quality pieces for an 8 million dollar defenseman who sucks defensively and is hurt every 20 games.

Fascinating.
So we’d trade a top pairing D man (for nothing) with an A on his sweater while having no backup plan in case Chychrun decides to leave.

Any other nonsense you’d like to make up and share with us?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Chabot and Trouba would make sense as an even swap, but as much as the Rangers could really use another puck mover who can help us transition up ice quicker, we also aren’t exactly killer defensively as is. But on paper it’s a swap that makes sense on both sides. Miller, Chabot and Lindgren would be the LH D, Fox and Schneider on the right. Ottawa needs RH D that are less offensively focused. NYR needs to get faster and smoother with the puck. Trouba will never waive though.

Trouba for Chabot would be an absolute coup for the Sens. He's exactly what they need, and would balance out their defence corps so perfectly (if they can then retain Chychrun).

But yeah...that's obviously a non-starter from Trouba's end. So it's a moot point.

I think the sort of unspoken element in the frustration and reason to potentially move on from Chabot in Ottawa, is that he's kind of the poster boy for everything that has been disappointing and under-delivered in this "era" of the Senators "rebuild". He's a "big name" who can individually post good offensive numbers and log a ton of minutes...but he's a total flake defensively who just bleeds chances, can take little brain vacations far too frequently, and really doesn't "play the right way" overall as part of a "winning team".

That's been largely the story with the Sens during this era as a whole. Just a collection of talented guys who might seem fine individually, but putting all those individual talents together ends up being far less than the sum of it's parts as a group. I think that being the most glaring example, a big $$$ contract commitment, and one of the sort of OGs of this rebuild era, makes Chabot a bit of a target to move for a meaningful shakeup. He's certainly part of the problem and playing as many minutes as he typically does, he's a real tone setter. So if you want to radically overhaul that "tone" being set...he's probably the single biggest "bang for your buck" shakeup move. Moving him and bringing in someone more defensively-oriented, mean, physical, intense, would be a major statement that i'm not sure any other particular player on the team would represent.

Reactions: LokiDog

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2