Proposal: Max return for Chabot

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Teams looking to win now don't have anywhere near that kind of cap space, and that's a lot of money/time for Ottawa to retain on.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Yeah. That's not a deadline move. That's a draft day type roster and cap reconfiguration type deal.

It's hard to even pin down what a defensively flakey but talented $8M offensive defenceman is "worth" these days. I think the book is pretty much out on Chabot, that's he's not ever going to become that #1D some were projecting him as previously.

If Chychrun is actually willing to stick around, i do like the idea of shaking up the Sens by moving Chabot for a big package. Build around Sanderson+Chychrun as the top LHD. Likely going to be to another non-playoff team looking to reconfigure and bolster their own blueline though. Which means...it's more likely to look like a hodgepodge "quantity" package of futures and middling/not fully established younger players. Thinking...more along the lines of the Dubois trade. But i'm not sure how many natural trade partners there are for that ~type~ of player at that price. St.Louis jumps out to me, depending on whether the figure they're coming or going. Chabot would fit their need to rebuild the blueline especially at LD, and the sort of "retool" age range they were rumored to be targeting and more or less fits with guys like Thomas, Kyrou, etc.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I proposed a swap for Parayko, but the 2 people that replied seemed to think St.Louis wouldn't do it.

It's an avenue I'd explore none the less.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Kuzmenko for Chabot?

Overpaid forward for overpaid defenseman.

Chabot is a defensemen, Kuzmenko is a winger. Right there that tells you Chabot who plays 25-30 minutes a game is a lot more valuable.

Then, Ottawa doesn't need Kuzmenko.

Chabot doesn't need to be traded. He's incredibly useful and as much flack people want to give him Ottawa is a much much much better team with him in the lineup and he's a leader on the team.

0 chance Chabot moves unless it's a trade that helps Ottawa pretty significantly because losing Chabot would be hard to replace, and honestly it might not even be possible to replace him.

• Haha
Reactions: McJedi

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I proposed a swap for Parayko, but the 2 people that replied seemed to think St.Louis wouldn't do it.

It's an avenue I'd explore none the less.

That is because the Blues would be adding him to play with Parayko. Not creating another hole to add him.

I don't think we have the pieces to acquire him and I am not sure why Ottawa wants to move on from him to begin with. I understand moving on from Chych, but not quite Chapot.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
He's got a partial NTC kicking in July 1st that I doubt would be an issue, but how much of a market will there be for an 8 mil AAV (10 mil in salary) offensive D-man given the current UFA D market and other guys who may be available.

Unless its more of a hockey trade, most teams have a D in that role, don't have the cap flexibility and/or are in the middle of a rebuild. St. Louis, Washington and Calgary seem like the best fits, but I don't think any of those teams are all that interested in moving really good picks or top prospects in trades, and I don't think they'd move NHLers the Sens would actually want.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Sens probably wouldn't get much.

Lazy one dimensional OFD that makes an average salary of 9.5M over the remaining 4 years on his contract.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
That is because the Blues would be adding him to play with Parayko. Not creating another hole to add him.

I don't think we have the pieces to acquire him and I am not sure why Ottawa wants to move on from him to begin with. I understand moving on from Chych, but not quite Chapot.

We don’t want to move on from either but we currently have 3 top pairing LD - so one is always playing the other side given the glaring hole we have on RD 2nd pair - and neither Chychrun nor Chabot are especially good at that.
One thought is to go 3 deep on the LS with Kleven also expected to make the team next seasonand allocate more $$ to the D (to Chychrun when his contract is up and a # 4 RD)
Money gets tight the year after next though - so remains to be seen if the Sens can pull it off, or if that is even the direction.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
He's not good enough for Ottawa, but good enough for another team to spend major assets on?

Why is Ottawa looking to trade him? I think he's a good 2way dman?

StoneHoffs129

Oct 24, 2017
He's not good enough for Ottawa, but good enough for another team to spend major assets on?

Why is Ottawa looking to trade him? I think he's a good 2way dman?
It's just typical sens fans, I for one love Chabot and want him to stay. But most sens fans find a whipping boy such as Spezza and don't stop till their gone.

CornerStone61

Apr 13, 2015
It's just typical sens fans, I for one love Chabot and want him to stay. But most sens fans find a whipping boy such as Spezza and don't stop till their gone.
I think it's more that we have 3 LD and would be looking to trade one of them, as they'll collectively be making 20M+, in order to acquire an RD as we're weak on that side. For the record I'd rather not trade chabot either as I think we get rinsed in a trade but I understand why his name is getting brought up

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010

It's really just down to keeping him of Chychrun. People just like Chychrun better right now.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
The reactions of the Ottawa board are reason enough to keep him around

When he's gone it will be the next player that is shit on immediately, regardless

Reactions: NyQuil

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I would love Chabot (or any of the LHD on the Sens) on the Blues, I just don't think we have the pieces to acquire him because I'm pretty doubtful they will be looking for futures for him.

Reactions: BradyTkachucky

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad