Proposal: Max return for Chabot

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I proposed a swap for Parayko, but the 2 people that replied seemed to think St.Louis wouldn't do it.

It's an avenue I'd explore none the less.
No way blues do this. Parayko is a nonstarter in talks for him. It’s difficult for other fans to grasp but parayko plays toughest minutes against best players, and while he may just be treading water in them if anyone else on team had to do that they would drown. He protects rest of shallow and often shaky d. But I do think chabot would be of interest to us if deal could be built around guy like krug and prospects or picks.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
:sens
  • Thomas Chabot (5 years remaining, 8M AAV)
  • Anton Forsberg (2 years remaining, 2.75M AAV)
  • Erik Brannstrom (1 year remaining, 2M AAV, 425k Retained, Arb Eligible RFA)
  • Total Cap: 12.325M AAV

:pens
  • Erik Karlsson (4 years remaining, 10M AAV)
  • Alex Nedeljkovic (1 year remaining, 1.5M AAV)
  • Pierre-Oliver Joseph (1 year remaining, 825k AAV, Arb Eligible RFA)
  • Total Cap: 12.325M AAV
This trade is Karlsson for Chabot 1 for 1. The other pieces in the trade are moving parts for cap reasons. Pittsburgh is not going to retain on Karlsson, so they take Forsberg's contract instead. Brannstrom, Nedeljkovic, and Joseph are expiring contracts meant to balance the cap this season. None are likely to be kept qualified or re-signed, unless they have a strong closing to the season.

We will assume that by the time the trade deadline comes around, the gap between where Pittsburgh is in the standings and a wild card spot will increase. They will be sellers, or at least will listen on players.

Karlsson has a NMC, but he would almost certainly waive to return to Ottawa with Melnyk gone and Alfredsson involved in the organization. If Pittsburgh were a playoff team, that might be a different story.

• Haha
Reactions: NyQuil

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I was thinking a better version of Marc Andre Bergeron
I was just talking about reputation. The fans lambasted him for years as the whipping boy for the Habs' misfortunes. He certainly was weak defensively early in his career, but once he had the rep, he would get booed mercilessly even though his underlying numbers showed substantial gains.

Reactions: Homesick

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
No way blues do this. Parayko is a nonstarter in talks for him. It’s difficult for other fans to grasp but parayko plays toughest minutes against best players, and while he may just be treading water in them if anyone else on team had to do that they would drown. He protects rest of shallow and often shaky d. But I do think chabot would be of interest to us if deal could be built around guy like krug and prospects or picks.
Agreed, if the Blues can find a way to make a deal for Chabot with Prospects+picks we should be all over it. Chabot does feel like an offseason style deal tho.

Reactions: Blueston

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I proposed a swap for Parayko, but the 2 people that replied seemed to think St.Louis wouldn't do it.

It's an avenue I'd explore none the less.

Add me to the makes no sense for StL camp. We need to add to Parayko, not replace him. We'd just switch our area of need from 2-way top pair LD to defensively strong top pair RHD. And we'd be adding to our cap for the privalage. LD are easier to find than RD generally, so I stick with cheaper, more defensive RD in Parayko.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010

It's not tough to grasp at all. It's literally the only reason anyone would want him at all. Lol

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
You’re the Flames. Hard to get players there as UfAs in a rebuild so if you feel compelled to waste key draft picks to acquire players that once had promise but aren’t living up to their contracts… swing away.

What’s one more bad contract in Calgary? You’ve got several already. Flames don’t rebuild anyway. They just retool in order to secure the ~11th overall pick in perpetuity. Chabot’s bad contract should allow y’all to keep winning just enough games to avoid the high lottery picks you really need.

This feels like an all Canada trade between the lower level clubs north of the border. Good deck shuffling of poorly arranged chairs on a sinking ship
Meh, the Flames aren't going to intentionally bottom out. And they have 30M in cap space with only 2 NHL defensemen signed for next season. Kylington should be back and maybe Tanev returns as well. But if he doesn't, then safe to say the Flames will be acquiring a top four defenseman one way or the other, especially since the prospect pool on the defensive side of things isn't great.

R2010

May 23, 2011
Chabot is just the latest incarnation of the whipping boy for the city. Previously the best known one was Spezza who fans complained about for years only to later realize how hard it is to get that type of player.

Analytically, Chabot is a top pairing defenseman whose offense more than makes up for his defensive shortcomings. Top pairing d-men on the market get 8+. The concern with him is that he makes mistakes that are big obvious ones. Those can be cleaned up because we've seen him have years where he was less gaffe prone. The microstats collected by groups like Sportlogiq have been very favorable to Chabot because he's one of the best puck transporters in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad