Max Pacioretty, leading candidate for captaincy?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
What he said is that actions speak louder than words and Subban bending the team backwards to get that giga-contract could easily be interpreted as Subban caring about Subban 1st and foremost. Not that there's anything wrong with that but PK definitely didn't leave any money on the table that could help this team.

So Toews also doesn't care about his team? That's pretty ridiculous. It's a business decision and he didn't ask for anything he didn't deserve and earn.
You think Patches wouldn't be asking for around 7M+ if he had to renegotiate today?

Analyzer*

People want to see how Pacioretty does in the playoffs and I'm sure others are waiting for PK to not do selfish things on the ice.

Weaknesses for both.

Apr 28, 2010
Love Patches but I'd go with Subban. He deserves it a little bit more.

You all will realize this come playoff time.

CaptainBenn

Sep 8, 2012
So Toews also doesn't care about his team? That's pretty ridiculous. It's a business decision and he didn't ask for anything he didn't deserve and earn.
You think Patches wouldn't be asking for around 7M+ if he had to renegotiate today?

yeah blame Bergevin for not signing him earlier to a long term deal, whats subban gonna do, sign for 6M just to see another guy less deserving than him get overpaid? eller is paid 3.5M lol, not subban fault

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I still like Subban for it.

But Pacioretty would also be a fine choice.I think it was the right decision to withhold giving it to anyone at the start of this season. I'd stick to the plan and wait until next summer to decide. The way I see it, playoffs demeanor and performances count twice as much as regular season. Let's see how both guys carry themselves.

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik

When Subban wins us two cups I'll give him 18 million a year or whatever max is and just stop watching games until his contract runs out.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
So what? Subban is number 1 defenseman since he came on the team being in the top 30 of defenseman since year 1; Norris Trophy winner. It is obvious PK was on a tight leash in the first haft of the season. I don't know why they cut him lose but he is playing the best hockey of his carrer. A defenseman on pace for 60 pts is more impressive than a foward scoring 75 pts. And he will do it with a deficient PP. Something people never say is Subban was captain of his team when he was young. In the OHL Subban was assistant to Tangradi, but for the OHL all star game they chose him as captain. Even Hockey Canada game him an A in the 2009 world cup; we are talking about the best junior players in the world!. It's a good track record. He is a leader. If the guys are tired in a game 6 or 7 Stanley cup finale, PK's passion for the game will motivate them more. He is an excellent ambassador. I was there when they retired Lapointe's jersey: PK had tears in his eyes. He cares about this organization like I rarely seen any payer care before...

Read what my post was in response to and you'll soon realise how off track your response to it actually is.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Again. One of those thread...

First of all I will start by saying i am not a hater. I like Max's talent and he's been useful to the team this year, but since the beginning of the year I noticed something weird about him. I could not put my finger on it until last night. I think Max would be a great, but false leader. Why do I say false? At the start of the season he was fired up and had success. But is it really about the team? I record most of the games and watching some of them last week, I noticed several times Max could have made a pass but decided to shoot instead. It's more important for him to score than to make a pass which would be a better option. Michel Bergeron was saying Max should be the next captain because his line was modified many times by MT this year and Max did not complain. Of course he won't complain he wants the C. But it was just last year he said he wanted to play with DD and no one else. He even criticized MT. Last week I watched his interview on sportsnet, it was the period after PK's injury. The reporter asked him a question about all the defensemen being injured. Max just replied that the team would have to work harder as a whole. Nothing about hoping PK gets better. Those are glimpses, that lead me to think Max wants the captaincy but not in a good spirit. Before the season starts he said he understood everything about the importance of the face of franchise (probably talking about PK) but he said he still wanted to be captain. I get the feeling he wants to be captain only because PK is making double his salary and because PK is the most popular player on the team. This is not good motivation. They would name PK captain and I'm sure he would not be happy about it, maybe even ask for a trade... Now every reporter is pushing his candidacy not seeing that it's a decesion that will impact the team at least for the next decade. Since the beginning of the year I have been saying PK because of everything he had accomplished and he remained himself this year. But I'm no longer sure he should get it alone. I think it should be Pacioretty co-captain with Subban. Don't put the pressure on one player. Put it on both.

If it was going to be Pleky or Markov we would already have a captain.

I think they didnt choose Subban or Patches because they wanted to take this year to reevaluate, it should be Patches, he's a fit freak, does everything in his power to compete and get better during the offseason and he's looking elite on ice, perfect role model for any kid coming up.

As much as I like Subban I doubt there's a single captain in the NHL who would come to games in a "pimp" style fur coat (maybe Ovy), lol I love it personally but I think Patches fits what the organisation probably wants as C better. Im just thankful that we have both.

I know I'd get thrashed on the main board for this but he looks like freakin' Stamkos out there this year, he's unbelievable.

Gallagher could've been been captain material someday too.

Don't mind me, just highlighting some absurd comments.

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
That's 100% speculation on his part, and silly speculation, given Subban's history. It seems like he's just plain LOOKING for a fault. It's like noticing Pacioretty not buying organic food at the grocery store and saying he's a heartless person who wants to fill the world with pesticides. Just something totally irrelevant and ridiculous.

I'm not looking for a fault I'm pointing something out. In a world with a salary cap, we have one player who accepted well below market value and we have one player who held out because he wanted to get as much as he could get.

Subban makes more money than Crosby, that's what's insane about this, and Crosby re-signed not too long ago too so it's not like it's a different situation. Subban put himself above the team's needs when he signed the deal, and I get why he did it, and he didn't have to take a smaller deal to help the team, but if he did he would be the captain IMO. If Subban were to accept a 7.6M x 8yr deal he would be the captain right now.

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom

He might, but he wouldn't ask for 9M that's for sure.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
I'm not looking for a fault I'm pointing something out. In a world with a salary cap, we have one player who accepted well below market value and we have one player who held out because he wanted to get as much as he could get.

Subban makes more money than Crosby, that's what's insane about this, and Crosby re-signed not too long ago too so it's not like it's a different situation. Subban put himself above the team's needs when he signed the deal, and I get why he did it, and he didn't have to take a smaller deal to help the team, but if he did he would be the captain IMO. If Subban were to accept a 7.6M x 8yr deal he would be the captain right now.

This is such nonsense it's ridiculous. Seems like some people are still upset about the holdout. Blame the team, not the player who held out for fair value, then took a deal below value and then cashed in afterwards.

Max got a terrible deal and I'm sure when his contract is up, he will cash in. Captaincy or not.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

Well if you're unaware of the cap situation, I'd remind you that Kane, Toews, etc. all make more than Crosby... so.... It has nothing to with accepting a few hundred thousand dollars of a discount. Nothing. This is totally different salaray cap, in a totally different world. Subban makes a fair amount. In a few years, we'll be complaining about Pietrangelo, Doughty, etc. making over 10m+, while Suuban *only* makes $9m. I guarantee that this happens. Quote me on it, I'm certain people will call Subban's contract a steal long term, and others just "mediocre" in comparison.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
According to the responses I guess production = captaincy.

Strangely, when you look at forwards that are captains, they do happen to have some kind of production. But captaincy can also be about being a vet. Now....what do we have in Montréal....who are the vets that can be captains? Markov...does he wants it? Pleks...maybe. But are we looking for long time...transition? Who else? Then, if your point is not necessarily go for production...who do you go for? I would think he somewhat has to be somebody we'd keep around....Prust? Who else?

For Pacioretty, I think that he'd have no problem saying to anybody to get their act together, he will surely have the goals and points to say that he's pulling his weight. Seems to be liked in the room, seems to be somewhat vocal, maybe not rah rah Malhotra or Gorges, but enough.....Somehow the best mix we have of longetivity, production, model, etc. Next contract will surely make Max a Habs for life.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
The players should vote who they respect the most and then that player becomes Captain.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
If he shows up big in the playoffs, he probably got it.

For next year, I'd be fine with any of the current As to get the C. It's really a nice group, no leadership problem on that team.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
I fear how the media would treat Patches if he continues his playoff ghost act with the extra attention of having the C on him. Patches would be a Joe Thornton type captain IMO.

Subban is unquestionably the leader of our skaters come playoff time.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

I don't think he is actually making more than Crosby. Just the cap hit is higher.

Can't check on Cap Geek, obviously.

This putting himself above the team stuff is solid, smelly BS. It's a melodramatic fiction.

Hockey is a business. Period. Did Kane and Toews put themselves ahead of the team? Did Malkin and Crosby?

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
I don't think he is actually making more than Crosby. Just the cap hit is higher.

Can't check on Cap Geek, obviously.

This putting himself above the team stuff is solid, smelly BS. It's a melodramatic fiction.

Hockey is a business. Period. Did Kane and Toews put themselves ahead of the team? Did Malkin and Crosby?

That's correct. Subban is being paid 7 million with a 9 million caphit for this year, while Crosby has a 8.7 caphit but is paid 12 million in salary.

This website has been good enough for the moment http://nhlnumbers.com/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad