Max Pacioretty, leading candidate for captaincy?

CanadianLover

Oct 27, 2014
Except that he's been consistently great all year.
So what? Subban is number 1 defenseman since he came on the team being in the top 30 of defenseman since year 1; Norris Trophy winner. It is obvious PK was on a tight leash in the first haft of the season. I don't know why they cut him lose but he is playing the best hockey of his carrer. A defenseman on pace for 60 pts is more impressive than a foward scoring 75 pts. And he will do it with a deficient PP. Something people never say is Subban was captain of his team when he was young. In the OHL Subban was assistant to Tangradi, but for the OHL all star game they chose him as captain. Even Hockey Canada game him an A in the 2009 world cup; we are talking about the best junior players in the world!. It's a good track record. He is a leader. If the guys are tired in a game 6 or 7 Stanley cup finale, PK's passion for the game will motivate them more. He is an excellent ambassador. I was there when they retired Lapointe's jersey: PK had tears in his eyes. He cares about this organization like I rarely seen any payer care before...

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Captain material right here:

"Indeed, after having been presented post-game Saturday with the so-called hero’s cape as the Canadiens player of the match, he assembled defencemen Beaulieu, Greg Pateryn and Jarred Tinordi and forwards Christian Thomas and Jacob de la Rose for a group photo."

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/h...ys-one-timer-and-sharing-glory-with-habs-kids
Like this. Richer was never a captain for a reason. Just putting up good numbers doesn't mean you are a leader.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

"Indeed, after having been presented post-game Saturday with the so-called hero’s cape as the Canadiens player of the match, he assembled defencemen Beaulieu, Greg Pateryn and Jarred Tinordi and forwards Christian Thomas and Jacob de la Rose for a group photo."

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/h...ys-one-timer-and-sharing-glory-with-habs-kids

LOL max is screaming "yeah just give me the C already"

while i agree we should wait to see how he does in the playoffs after an underwhelcming one last year

its just so god damn obvious hes gonna be captain

added pressure? no it just means talking to the media alot, which is what hes BEEN doing all year long

lol @ people who think plekanec is gonna get it

edit :someone find that picture!

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Yes. Ask me this a year ago, I say Subban. As me this 6 months ago, I say Subban. Ask me this a few months ago, I'm iffy. Ask me now, it's definitely Pacioretty. He's already our captain in my eyes.

Bob Cole

Tom ******* Brady
Oct 30, 2009
Max just gets it. Will make a great captain.

Good to see that's he's also learning French :handclap:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Should be his. When we're not playing well or when we're not scoring he's the only one producing. He also has an incredible work ethic and he accepted a great contract in order to stay with the team.

Subban might be a good vocal leader but someone who forces his team into giving him the maximum money possible (literally 2x as much as Pacioretty) doesn't seem like he cares as much about the team's success.

Did I actually just hear you say Subban doesn't care as much about the team's success? What a terribly ignorant statement. :facepalm:

Subban cares more than probably anyone on our roster. If anything, he cares to a fault.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax

Quote from Max (re: Thomas' fight):

“It looked like a 1980s fight. What a tough kid. I loved it. It definitely got our bench going. Something like that goes a long way within the room."

WHY LIE GUY

Nov 28, 2011
Love PK, but I don't want him anywhere near the Captaincy. Plays tons of minutes, and when we need something to happen, he's a guy you can count on to do it, but the diving/embellishment and some of his other pest-like antics just don't embody what a captain should be, imo. He needs to mature a bit more.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

That's league leading.

I think he's definitely in the lead for Captaincy, but the POs might change that. He will need to lead the offensive charge in the POs. PK has shown he can step up his game with added pressure but I think he's too charismatic for a pretty conventional organization.

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
Did I actually just hear you say Subban doesn't care as much about the team's success? What a terribly ignorant statement. :facepalm:

Subban cares more than probably anyone on our roster. If anything, he cares to a fault.

What he said is that actions speak louder than words and Subban bending the team backwards to get that giga-contract could easily be interpreted as Subban caring about Subban 1st and foremost. Not that there's anything wrong with that but PK definitely didn't leave any money on the table that could help this team.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
What he said is that actions speak louder than words and Subban bending the team backwards to get that giga-contract could easily be interpreted as Subban caring about Subban 1st and foremost. Not that there's anything wrong with that but PK definitely didn't leave any money on the table.

That's 100% speculation on his part, and silly speculation, given Subban's history. It seems like he's just plain LOOKING for a fault. It's like noticing Pacioretty not buying organic food at the grocery store and saying he's a heartless person who wants to fill the world with pesticides. Just something totally irrelevant and ridiculous.

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
Remember a few months back after Galchenyuk's hattrick, there were people calling for him to be captain, or PK at the end of last year? I can't wait to look back on this thread in a year or two when Pacioretty's gone through a weak stretch and half the people on here are calling for his head.

Either way he's probably the leading candidate at this point, I'd like to see how he performs in the playoffs before I say he's ready for the captaincy, but at this point the C is his to lose, all I'm going to say is I'd prefer PK at this point in time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad