Max Pacioretty, leading candidate for captaincy?

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
That's correct. Subban is being paid 7 million with a 9 million caphit for this year, while Crosby has a 8.7 caphit but is paid 12 million in salary.

This website has been good enough for the moment http://nhlnumbers.com/

Thanks. I checked and Crosby makes more than Subban each year of his contract (10, 11 years?) except the last 3. 2 of the last 3 he makes 9M, the last year is 3M, which is how his cap hit is lower. Obviously, this is an illegal contract according to the latest CBA.

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
Well if you're unaware of the cap situation, I'd remind you that Kane, Toews, etc. all make more than Crosby... so.... It has nothing to with accepting a few hundred thousand dollars of a discount. Nothing. This is totally different salaray cap, in a totally different world. Subban makes a fair amount. In a few years, we'll be complaining about Pietrangelo, Doughty, etc. making over 10m+, while Suuban *only* makes $9m. I guarantee that this happens. Quote me on it, I'm certain people will call Subban's contract a steal long term, and others just "mediocre" in comparison.

Since you brought up Kane and Toews, keep an eye on how that team will struggle to fit under the cap in the future. They already had enough trouble after they won the cup, now they're paying two players 10.5M a year each. If the cap is up to 72M next year that means they're paying 27.8% of their total cap hit to 8.7% of their roster. They definitely deserve big money but I think the way things are going, any team that wants to have success is going to need some really good quality players on entry level deals, players on discount deals, or both.

I'm not bashing Subban (despite people attacking me like I am... soft spot?) but in my eyes a captain is someone who puts the team before himself.

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
Since you brought up Kane and Toews, keep an eye on how that team will struggle to fit under the cap in the future. They already had enough trouble after they won the cup, now they're paying two players 10.5M a year each. If the cap is up to 72M next year that means they're paying 27.8% of their total cap hit to 8.7% of their roster. They definitely deserve big money but I think the way things are going, any team that wants to have success is going to need some really good quality players on entry level deals, players on discount deals, or both.

I'm not bashing Subban (despite people attacking me like I am... soft spot?) but in my eyes a captain is someone who puts the team before himself.

Well, if we start going into hypothetical situations, Subban wanted 5x5 before he signed the bridge contract, so it's not unreasonable to think that he would have signed for a longer term if offered more money. Imo, if MB trusted in Subban's abilities he could have probably signed him for 6 or 6.5 million for 7-8 years back then, however he wanted Subban to prove himself and after he did, he had to pay a premium.

I think we're beating a dead horse here though, so there's no point in criticizing Subban for wanting to be paid what he believes to be fair.

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
Well, if we start going into hypothetical situations, Subban wanted 5x5 before he signed the bridge contract, so it's not unreasonable to think that he would have signed for a longer term if offered more money. Imo, if MB trusted in Subban's abilities he could have probably signed him for 6 or 6.5 million for 7-8 years back then, however he wanted Subban to prove himself and after he did, he had to pay a premium.

I think we're beating a dead horse here though, so there's no point in criticizing Subban for wanting to be paid what he believes to be fair.

Agreed.

How many people were sold on Subban before the bridge deal though. He took a gamble and failed but we can't blame him for that.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I think it's a given to have Patch as the future captain as of right now, but as I said many times in the past, I'm not willing to give him the C until he proves he can bring it in the playoffs the way Subban does.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

I see it more as you want a captain who fights for what he wants. IE. The Stanley Cup. Or his market value on a contract. Molson and co. are getting an average of what? $200 per seat 41 times a year, plus preseason, plus playoffs.

Advertising and F&B revenue, equal share of a $5B TV deal. Merchandise....

It's the GM's job to make the salary cap work. You have top players who get paid, rookies on ELCs and everything between.

There have been isolated cases of home discounts, but they're almost exclusively on a final contract rather than an early one.

shawdowmaker

Dec 20, 2011
Montreal
Markov is the captain I don t care what anybody says. Next option: Subban he is involved in all facets of the game. Performs in regular season and playoffs. Last years playoffs performance was one of the best I ve ever seen from a habs player. The effort vs the Rangers was sick... Absolute leadership.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Agreed.

How many people were sold on Subban before the bridge deal though. He took a gamble and failed but we can't blame him for that.

Dude... anybody with two eyes could see that the guy was a stud even back then. Not a crippling mistake by MB, but still, he could have managed that better.

But yeah, we're beating an undead horse at this point. :laugh:

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Agreed.

I was. I wonder if we can find my post back in November during the lockout screaming for a long term deal around 4.5-5 a year.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I was. I wonder if we can find my post back in November during the lockout screaming for a long term deal around 4.5-5 a year.

Most of the board was calling for a long term contract right there and then. I'd be inclined to say the majority of posters around here wanted that, but I'd have a very conservative estimate that it was at least 50/50.

We could have Subban on the same kind of bargain as Pacioretty. His contract would be up sooner, but hell, I don't see anyone complaining about having to resign Pacthes in a few years.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Pacioretty seems to have sealed the deal this season.
A streaky sniper with questionable playoff showings shouldn't be a lock until he changes the paradigm.

Less than 12 months ago the media was telling him to stay home if his performance was to continue being so uninspired.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
I'm not going to lie, I was 100% on Subban having the C when the season first started and throughout most of this year. However, Max has really shown strides that he's not only a goal scorer who floats around the perimeter; he's become a great two-way player with his plus/minus totals and his greatly-improved defensive play.

I would not lose sleep if he got the C.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
It should be Markov.

If not him Plekanec.

Let the young bucks have their chance another day.
So every other team with a young captain is doing it wrong?

Markov refused capitancy and Pleks is not talented enough (same problem that affected Koivu) - I have issues with both Subban's comportment and Pacioretty's playoff experience but they're better options.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
This has probably already been posted but I just caught it on ******. It's Max mic'd up during the Columbus game.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I think it's a given to have Patch as the future captain as of right now, but as I said many times in the past, I'm not willing to give him the C until he proves he can bring it in the playoffs the way Subban does.

Cross your fingers and hope Coach allows Max to be a difference maker.
I can almost guarantee you he will need to be split off again to make that happen.
There will be long stretches of PO hockey where you aren't scoring...
What are you doing besides?
Max has proven he can contribute in many different ways and the process is far better for his psyche than waiting for a telegraph. :sarcasm:

We shall see...

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I used to think it was Subban but Pacioretty has taken it and run. That said, I don't think I want that type of burden and pressure on him. I'd rather Plekanec or Markov have it, although if they don't have it now, they clearly don't want it.

AmeriHab

Aug 3, 2012
NY
right this moment, Patch takes it, but with the DSP trade, I can imagine PK takes him because DSP looked up to PK (according to an article someone posted in the trade trade thread) and PK can show him how to handle the scrutiny of MTL media because both drafted almost the exact same spot and have had a lot of pressure on them

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Thanks. I checked and Crosby makes more than Subban each year of his contract (10, 11 years?) except the last 3. 2 of the last 3 he makes 9M, the last year is 3M, which is how his cap hit is lower. Obviously, this is an illegal contract according to the latest CBA.

People need to stop comparing old contracts with new ones. Shea Weber cap hit is lower than Subban but in the current year and next 4 years Nahville will give Weber 58 millions while Montréal will give Subban 46 millions. It's not possible to do that anymore. Today you can't have more than a 35% variation from the first year (salary + bonuses). If the first year is 10 millions than any other years can't be more than 13.5 millions or less than 6.5 millions. Also the minimum year can't be more than 50% less than the maximum year. If the maximum salary is 10 millions then the minimum can't be less than 5 millions.

Weber maximum salary is 14 millions. I think his contract will go as low as 1 million (he will be something like 40). That's not even close to be possible these days.

There's no way Weber would have signed for his 8 millions cap hit for 7-8 years. His cap hit is low cause it includes his salary when he will be 40. Can't do that anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad