Player Discussion Max Jones

Oct 18, 2011
why don't we give him some time to develop before deciding he's doomed to be a 4th liner, power forwards don't need to score pretty goals to be good players

Norduck

youllneverquackalone
Feb 9, 2015
CA
A number of the goals are "bull the puck to the net and go through the goalie or take out the trash."

So that's a good skill that is likely to translate.

He does appear to have a Kreider/Perry-esque relationship with goalies, from the little I've seen.

I like seeing the clean-up-the-garbage goals in the crease. Very translatable skill, given most NHL goals these days are pure garbage. Especially Ducks goals.

mytduxfan*

why don't we give him some time to develop before deciding he's doomed to be a 4th liner, power forwards don't need to score pretty goals to be good players

Just to clarify, that isn't my opinion. Let's see how it goes.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
This next year will be a much better indicator as to how much offensive skill Jones has. As others have mentioned, he got zero PP time and played on the 2nd/3rd line for a stacked London team. Hopefully he excels with greater ice time in the coming season. I could easily see him having a 40g 80-90p season.

Etem was a one-trick pony...Jones seems to have a much better array of talent and is certainly more physical.

Etem scored 50 in juniors and we all know how well that translated. So far Jones uses his superior strenght to score many goals but that strenght will not be that big of an advantage in the pros.

Markus078

Feb 26, 2003
Austria
Visit site
Like Etem, it is some sort of a gamble. At 24 you will not get a player with his toolbox without having some flaws. He would have been a top 10 pick then. Rickard Rakell had a lot of questionmarks as well, Theodore too.

Like some mentioned before, he can be a 4th liner at worst. I was just a little bit confused why Howden wasn't taken at this point. Usually our staff loves to strenghten the middle and Howden is a center. Nevertheless, Jones will face a nice situation in London and he will be a go to guy there. In a perfect world Matthew Tkachuk somehow makes the Flames team which isn't out of reach imho.

pesko

Sep 14, 2004

No, it's obvious from looking at a few YouTube videos that he's the next Etem and our scouting team sucks because they clearly haven't Googled his videos :sarcasm:

It's only June, there's plenty of venting due before the season starts.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
No, it's obvious from looking at a few YouTube videos that he's the next Etem and our scouting team sucks because they clearly haven't Googled his videos :sarcasm:

It's only June, there's plenty of venting due before the season starts.

But there is no hockey and i want to vent.

No but really, at least from my side i mentioned that of course i will give him time to prove himself but just that i will most likely not be impressed with his work in juniors because he can use his superior strenght advantage against 17 year olds there.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Etem had the skill set to be pretty solid player he kinda reminds me of sbisa a bit tons of potential and skills but doesn't translate to nhl well.

I think max jones has a bit more of a bite to his game, seems like he can play all situations, I love the pick personally, the 30th I woulda preferred us taking a shot at debrincat or asplund tho

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
I bought the NHL Prospect Black Book for this year and last.... Crouse and Jones have almost the same exact scouting reports and notes.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
I bought the NHL Prospect Black Book for this year and last.... Crouse and Jones have almost the same exact scouting reports and notes.

I remember Crouse's defensive IQ being considered top notch which was a big part of his ranking, I've personally never heard the same about Jones. Would you be able to post some quotes from them? Is that allowed on the site?

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
I remember Crouse's defensive IQ being considered top notch which was a big part of his ranking, I've personally never heard the same about Jones. Would you be able to post some quotes from them? Is that allowed on the site?

I put as much as I want to, the guy that put the book together is on this site someone recommended me so I don't wanna put too much out there. There is a scouting report then notes from different scouts.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California

From videos I've seen, Jones looks terrific on the PK. I know that doesn't equate to him being good defensively, but it's a good sign.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
After going through lots of draft lists, I'm pretty comfortable that Jones was the BPA at #24 and has a ton of upside. Hopefully he will continue to develop but it is hard not to like a player who is 6'3", fast, physical, great on the PK, and scored 28 goals with virtually no PP time.

I'm more worried about the Steel pick than I am about Jones.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
For comparsion I have the 2015 nhl black book and jones was ranked #5 and steel was ranked #15 last year.

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
From videos I've seen, Jones looks terrific on the PK. I know that doesn't equate to him being good defensively, but it's a good sign.

His coach said they were in the 20's on the PK, so they put Jones on it and he helped turn it into a top 5 unit. People read to much into some 10 clips of him scoring goals.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
His coach said they were in the 20's on the PK, so they put Jones on it and he helped turn it into a top 5 unit. People read to much into some 10 clips of him scoring goals.

That`s sure interesting, it`s always a good sign for a player to be good on the PK

c4rcy

Power lvls over 9000
Jun 15, 2009
OC, California
Jones is a player in the making. I think we'll see him on the team sooner than later in a more sheltered role with some PK time. He has great compete level and great skating. He'll just have to cool it down and not get so crazy with the after whistle stuff. Hoping he can turn into a nice complimentary winger. I feel like he could be a better Matt Beleskey.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Expecting one of Ritchie/Jones to pan out. If both do, then I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Either way, nice to have a couple highend physical forwards in the pipeline, feel like it's been a while (Maroon and Beleskey were great for us but I wouldn't classify them as high end prospects really)

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
Expecting one of Ritchie/Jones to pan out. If both do, then I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Either way, nice to have a couple highend physical forwards in the pipeline, feel like it's been a while (Maroon and Beleskey were great for us but I wouldn't classify them as high end prospects really)

I really like what Jones brings w/his speed. When we drafted Ritchie, everyone talked about how he was a big guy, but such a good skater. Where did that go? (actually, on second thought, we all know where it went).

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
I really like what Jones brings w/his speed. When we drafted Ritchie, everyone talked about how he was a big guy, but such a good skater. Where did that go? (actually, on second thought, we all know where it went).
IIRC, Ritchie had "good for his size" skating. Jones has flat out good skating.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
IIRC, Ritchie had "good for his size" skating. Jones has flat out good skating.

That seems about right. Ritchie moved well for a big guy, but if he were smaller no one would be bringing up his skating in a positive light. Jones would be seen as a great skater regardless.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

huh... I thought Noesen and Kerdiles were high end, physical forwards that the Ducks acquired and drafted, respectively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad