Player Discussion Max Jones

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Happy with this pick.

At worst a 4th liner who is very difficult to play against.

At best the rare true top-6 power-forward every team searches for.

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
Sounds like Ritchie but can skate, and does not fight as much. Maybe they are preparing for a Ritchie trade since both play LW.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
Source: TSN's Scouting Report

Max Jones

Hockey Sense|Competitiveness|Skating|Hands|Goal Scoring
3/5|4/5|5/5|3/5|3/5

Projection: Power Forward
"Blend of speed, power and physical intensity. Makes defenders uncomfortable and can close their space and create opportunities with his style. Excellent shot but needs to hit net more."

NHL Comparable: Dustin Brown

I was excited, until the bolded made me puke into my own mouth a little bit.

I'm just going to pretend I never saw that.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Jul 1, 2012
Personally I'm very excited about this pick. Great skaters all always fun to watch. Hopefully he can eventually contribute some points too.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
Some additional notes for you on Jones.

My final scouting report where I had him ranked 8th among OHL players.
http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2016/05/my-final-top-50-ohl-players-for-2016_20.html

Some notes/comments on Jones from my annual media/scout poll where he was also ranked 8th.
http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2016/06/final-mediascout-top-10-for-2016.html

Good read thanks. Hopefully he can keep a bit of an edge to make him effective, but not cross over and get in any trouble.

mytduxfan*

I'm much higher on this kid after reading his thread on the NHL prospect board. Sounds like his offensive numbers suffered being stuck behind Tkachuk, Marner and Dvorak at the London Knights. Played 2nd PP unit and really flourished whilst those guys were all at the WJCs. Has the potential to breakout next year with Marner and Dvorak gone.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
I didn't want to say it, but the same thing came to mind.

He does look better at cleaning up the garbage though.

Tunnel vision was one of his negatives from what I read, particularly throwing pucks from the corners, after winning possession, hastily on net rather than looking for passing options. Somebody who has actually seen him play can comment on that, but your observation seems accurate.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Seems like a solid pick. I think we've been spoiled by Getzlaf and Perry when it comes to bottom half first round forwards. How often does the bottom half of the first round become first liners, hell even second liners? It's such a crap shoot.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Worried he could be a all tools, no toolbox guy. He sure looks like he can skate for a big guy.

mytduxfan*

Worried he could be a all tools, no toolbox guy. He sure looks like he can skate for a big guy.

Not sure that applies here. My biggest concern is that Max is missing some tools, mainly the ability to pass. If he's bad at passing, that's only going to mean he won't pass i.e. he'll be the next Etem. Would love to see him open up that part of his game next season. Could be the next JT Miller if he does that, otherwise, yes, he's at risk of becoming another Etem bust.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Not sure that applies here. My biggest concern is that Max is missing some tools, mainly the ability to pass. If he's bad at passing, that's only going to mean he won't pass i.e. he'll be the next Etem. Would love to see him open up that part of his game next season. Could be the next JT Miller if he does that, otherwise, yes, he's at risk of becoming another Etem bust.

I think we are saying the same thing, more or less. The Toolbox is essentially hockey IQ and I would say 90% of someone being a good "passer" and playmaker is hockey IQ. I don't think Jones lacks the physical tools to pass, it's not like he tries and fails, it's that he doesn't yet seem to have the vision and IQ to see the opportunities. Also, etem is the epitome of all tools, no toolbox, so it seems by your own comparison you are suggesting the same concern for Jones as I am.

mytduxfan*

I think we are saying the same thing, more or less. The Toolbox is essentially hockey IQ and I would say 90% of someone being a good "passer" and playmaker is hockey IQ. I don't think Jones lacks the physical tools to pass, it's not like he tries and fails, it's that he doesn't yet seem to have the vision and IQ to see the opportunities. Also, etem is the epitome of all tools, no toolbox, so it seems by your own comparison you are suggesting the same concern for Jones as I am.

Yeah, I guess we are saying the same thing when you put it like that.

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
Yeah, I guess we are saying the same thing when you put it like that.

Way to early to say any of that, especially when he scored well for being on 2nd line and very little PP. he's got a lot of skills and has more speed the most power forwards. These are kids and a lot of the outplay there so called scouting reports. I remember them saying Jagr didn't have finesse to his game lol. Wait until he gets some time in the system before saying he doesn't have a tool box. Geesh. wonder what the critique would have been on Andy Mac, Kunitz, and other Guys who weren't drafted? No tool box, not big enough, AHL middle 6 player. It's fun to discuss what skills make them intriguing prospects, but guys develop to prove people wrong about their skills all the time (both good and bad).

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Some of those highlights are Etem-esque.

Perfect description, unfortunately

So far not that excited about this pick. So many teams have tried to draft ''prototypical power forwards'' and so often failed. So far, he screams bottom 6 energy guy, the one that can usually be fairly easy traded for 3d or 4th rounder during the season.
But of course i will let him prove otherwise, we will know more when he joins the pro`s where his strenght will not be that big of an advantage anymore

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
This next year will be a much better indicator as to how much offensive skill Jones has. As others have mentioned, he got zero PP time and played on the 2nd/3rd line for a stacked London team. Hopefully he excels with greater ice time in the coming season. I could easily see him having a 40g 80-90p season.

Etem was a one-trick pony...Jones seems to have a much better array of talent and is certainly more physical.

mytduxfan*

Way to early to say any of that, especially when he scored well for being on 2nd line and very little PP. he's got a lot of skills and has more speed the most power forwards. These are kids and a lot of the outplay there so called scouting reports. I remember them saying Jagr didn't have finesse to his game lol. Wait until he gets some time in the system before saying he doesn't have a tool box. Geesh. wonder what the critique would have been on Andy Mac, Kunitz, and other Guys who weren't drafted? No tool box, not big enough, AHL middle 6 player. It's fun to discuss what skills make them intriguing prospects, but guys develop to prove people wrong about their skills all the time (both good and bad).

I don't think it's wrong to point out areas in which Max could improve. He's a neat prospect, but he's got a long way to go. The comparison to Etem is fair, but the main problem with Etem was he was unwilling to change and when his usual strategy didn't work, he had nothing else. I can't really tell whether Max has the same kind of character as Etem from watching highlights of his game. Obviously, we'll have to wait and see.

This next year will be a much better indicator as to how much offensive skill Jones has. As others have mentioned, he got zero PP time and played on the 2nd/3rd line for a stacked London team. Hopefully he excels with greater ice time in the coming season. I could easily see him having a 40g 80-90p season.

Etem was a one-trick pony...Jones seems to have a much better array of talent and is certainly more physical.

Yes, next year will be very telling. Tbh, if I have concerns about Max then he's probably the right pick for us. We certainly don't need any "safe" picks, which Asplund and Howden would have been. Max is boom or bust and I think possibly getting a 20-20 2nd line power-forward is worth the risk of him becoming a bottom 6 grinder.

Etem had skills, but, yeah, even his highlight reel from his junior years shows the same old 'skate down the left side and fling a wrister on goal' strategy he continued to employ at the NHL level. Max's goals seem to come in a variety of ways and, with all due respect to Etem, Max seems to have a smarter head on his shoulders i.e. willing to evolve as he progresses through the levels.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
A number of the goals are "bull the puck to the net and go through the goalie or take out the trash."

So that's a good skill that is likely to translate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad