Max Domi vs Tyler Toffoli

Max Domi vs Tyler Toffoli

• Total voters

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I went with Toffoli because I think Domi most years is a ~50 point guy and toffoli is also a ~50 pointer. So I'll take Toffoli do to stronger defensive play every year vs Domi's occadional random bump in production.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I originally answered Toffoli, but I'm not sure. They're both 50ish point players, Toffoli worth a few more goals. I don't think either are all that great, but I might take Domi simply because he's a bit younger. Close enough that it wouldn't matter to me though. Domi is also someone I wouldn't even want on my team's bench though...

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think Domi can be better as the top guy on his line, whereas Toffoli is better as a complementary piece. Domi isn't good enough defensively to be an ideal center though (which apparently he wants to play) and you probably want a better player as the line driver in your top 6. So I'd say Domi might be better in a vacuum or on middle or the pack or lower teams, but Toffoli is probably more valuable to most contenders.

This pretty much echoes my thoughts.

It's a tough comparison, because of that. Domi seems to want to play Center, and seems more effective there...but isn't really good enough all-around to be a Top-6 center on a contending team. When he's playing there, he can have the bigger impact...but Toffoli is a lot better suited to plug in to a stronger Top-6 as a complementary scoring winger.

Weirdly, i feel like Domi might've actually been the better "fit" for Montreal's situation at the moment. But i'd lean toward Toffoli being the more "valuable" player overall.

Mar 26, 2010
Both Domi and Toffoli are solid Toronto boys. I am a fan of both players, but if I have to choose, Domi.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
This pretty much echoes my thoughts.

It's a tough comparison, because of that. Domi seems to want to play Center, and seems more effective there...but isn't really good enough all-around to be a Top-6 center on a contending team. When he's playing there, he can have the bigger impact...but Toffoli is a lot better suited to plug in to a stronger Top-6 as a complementary scoring winger.

Weirdly, i feel like Domi might've actually been the better "fit" for Montreal's situation at the moment. But i'd lean toward Toffoli being the more "valuable" player overall.

Gotta say you hit the nail on the head here.

People saying Domi is better, sure he is better in a vacuum. On a winning team and being able to slot into a lineup? Toffoli is a much better fit, it’s not even close.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
And i'm sure that either player is better than half your forwards and either would be on one of your top 2 lines.
So what's your point?

Probably not, considering Lafreniere or Kakko is probably going to be on line 3 to start the season.

And you've completely missed the point. I wouldn't want either on my team. They are exactly the types of forwards you don't want. The top teams don't recycle middle of the league veterans for large salaries. Could you ever see Tampa, Colorado, Boston, Vegas signing someone like Toffoli? No, because he's not needed on any of those teams. Toffoli is exactly the type of forward that Montreal, badly in need of some viable forwards, will sign.

Domi has settled into a second line forward. Thats not bad, but he's now being paid like one. You traded him for a guy whose scored more than 30 points once, and had 4 points last season. He was surplus to requirements for your team. Why would you believe all but the teams with the worst forward cores would need or want a player like this? In today's league, players like Toffoli and Domi are becoming extinct. Teams usually do not pay big salaries to veteran second or third liners. The best rosters now are ELC's and stars filling up the majority of the big/medium roles on a team.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Probably not, considering Lafreniere or Kakko is probably going to be on line 3 to start the season.

And you've completely missed the point. I wouldn't want either on my team. They are exactly the types of forwards you don't want. The top teams don't recycle middle of the league veterans for large salaries. Could you ever see Tampa, Colorado, Boston, Vegas signing someone like Toffoli? No, because he's not needed on any of those teams. Toffoli is exactly the type of forward that Montreal, badly in need of some viable forwards, will sign.

Domi has settled into a second line forward. Thats not bad, but he's now being paid like one. You traded him for a guy whose scored more than 30 points once, and had 4 points last season. He was surplus to requirements for your team. Why would you believe all but the teams with the worst forward cores would need or want a player like this? In today's league, players like Toffoli and Domi are becoming extinct. Teams usually do not pay big salaries to veteran second or third liners. The best rosters now are ELC's and stars filling up the majority of the big/medium roles on a team.

No one wants to pay out big salaries to veteran second or third liners you claim then why did you guys sign Strome?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I know that Toffoli is in here as he's taking Domi's spot/production in the lineup, but I think a more apt comparison is Drouin vs. Domi. Both are playmaking wingers with comparable production. Toffoli is a complementary piece for a play driver, the guy that can finish the play.

I picked Domi because I think he'll be more valuable to Columbus than Toffoli will be to Montreal.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
No one wants to pay out big salaries to veteran second or third liners you claim then why did you guys sign Strome?

If you think we wanted to sign Strome, let alone give him a big contract (hint: he didn't get one and fans definitely would not have approved of that), you aren't paying attention.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad