Max Comtois disables comments on Instagram

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
Just for the record it's not any better to post abusive comments on a message board either. Lots of players read hockey discussions.

Reactions: VP

blindpass

May 7, 2010
I’d like to take a second to remind you all how badly Jake Virtanen was crucified after the 2016 WJC loss.

These are the best juniors in the country. They are there to perform, and expectations are high. When they go dramatically unfulfilled, you have to expect some pushback from fans.

Granted, there’s a ****ing limit.
Yep, Virtanen was the target that year. I'd argue he did more to deserve some criticism but it was way over the top. Some fans just can't handle losing. It's ugly.

heynowbababooey

Sep 29, 2017
I see posting on message boards as more like venting into the void, rather than directing hate towards him specifically in the hopes that it hurts him

I can agree with this. I've voiced my displeasure for Comtois' cheap antics but I'd never go in the kids social media accounts and wish hiv on him like someone did.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Nobody doesn't deserve treat like this.
Those peoples who have been trolling Comtois personal instagram account needs to cool down and take some chill-pill.

I understand whole Canada is shocked for that first time ever Team Canada U20 WJC team is out of medals in home soil. Losing very close hockey game in overtime is devastating but come on this kind behavior is really childish.

If you have to give negative feedback do it somehow else but don't go trolling some players personal Instagram.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
I guess it's kind of like driving on the sidewalk with the intent to hit someone vs driving on the sidewalk just for fun.
Disagree with this analogy, it more driving on the road and hitting a pedestrian, and driving down the sidewalk aiming for them.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Even though, I don't think he represented Canada that well with his dives and such, this is way out of line. This is a kid who played for his country for free and wanted to win. He helped us win gold the year before. I hate the sports fans who lose it on these platforms tagging these guys and taking whatever cheap shots they can (fantasy sports brings out the worst of it). Not as extreme, but it reminds me of the cover a Vancouver newspaper put up about Virtanen (who had one of the worst games I've seen by a leader in a Canada jersey) and just trashed him. At the time, and still do think that stuff is way out of line. NHL guys I get (with newpapers trashing them on their covers), that's part of the deal when you play a sport for 7 figures a year, these kids volunteered their time to try to accomplish something. That shouldn't be forgotten.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Just for the record it's not any better to post abusive comments on a message board either. Lots of players read hockey discussions.
Depends on how you define abusive. If you are making a fair judgment on a kid such as I don't think he has the skill to make it, and he didn't play well, that is fine in my books. But, I would think to say the same thing on his social media with the intent of him seeing it is mean-spirited.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Twitter Reaction: Canada bounced by Finland in world juniors quarterfinal - Sportsnet.ca

Pretty sickening some of the posts being made on his Instagram account.

I don't draw too much of a distinction between posts on this forum directed at Comtois throughout the tournament and the idiots who decided to take it directly to his SM accounts. I wouldn't be surprised if a few are regular contributors in these parts.

You know what is wrong with the game of hockey today? the fans.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I don't draw too much of a distinction between posts on this forum directed at Comtois throughout the tournament and the idiots who decided to take it directly to his SM accounts. I wouldn't be surprised if a few are regular contributors in these parts.

We are absolutely allowed to be critical of his play. Players are also able to set filters on their social media accounts if they don't want to read any negative comments.

Unless someone is making death threats (or calling his parents and leaving voice mails, which would be insane) discussing a player's poor play and attitude on a message board or on their social media account directly is not harassment.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010

He doesn't deserve to get trashed for Canada losing the game. Criticizing him diving is one thing, piling on after a heart breaking loss is a whole different thing all together.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
I can agree with this. I've voiced my displeasure for Comtois' cheap antics but I'd never go in the kids social media accounts and wish hiv on him like someone did.

Right? That's exactly what I said earlier in this thread as well. I mean i complain about his diving here, but its not like i went to his social media accounts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad