Post-Game Talk: Matty & Johnny Leads Leafs to Victory!

TheKule

Jun 3, 2011
Bit surprised Carlo C singled out Oz for his bad player award. I liked him overall, Carlo was watching live with the other alumni, maybe players saw little things I missed. He wasnt lights out, but there were worse players that seems obvious.

Yup, I would also disagree. Oz moved the puck effectively a number of times, maintaining possession when no adequate outlets were available. Dermott was also good.

Hainsey and Zaitsev were not good at all in this respect, lots of panic when under pressure, lots of turnovers. As others have mentioned, it all seems to stem from a systemic issue, the players only partially to blame.

Reactions: TimeZone

ninetyone

Jul 12, 2018
Matthews is on another level compared to Tavares.

individually yes, but his impact on linemates and generating chances off the cycle, it's a lot closer than you'd think.

They're both superstars but Tavares was really hidden on Long Island, away from the media and surrounded by terrible coaching/linemates/goaltending/defense.

He got more chances in the first game than in 5-6 games as an Islander. He hasn't yet started creating chances for Mitch and Hyman (they're still VERY sloppy as a line but you can see flashes). These guys will DOMINATE teams by mid-season.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
The Gardiner pass to Marleau was very underrated. Not sure if any of our other defenders outside of Rielly who could have made it.

ninetyone

Jul 12, 2018
Some observations from the game:

-Babcock gave Kadri a couple of shifts with Tavares and Marner 5 on 5. Helps with ice time distribution
-Kadri passed to Tavares on the goal but had gone to the bench. Marner had come onto the ice when JT scored but went back to the bench and let Kadri go celebrate.
-After Gardiner made the pass to Marleau on the OT goal, he looked back at the habs bench to make sure the guy actually went off the ice..

Yes I watched the highlights repeatedly.

Babs also used Hyman after PP (instead of Johnsson who looked invisible again) - he's going to spread around the ice-time and he should with all that talent.

I'm not liking Johnsson or Kapanen but for the 4th line, whatever!

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
We were 59% on the draw? The way Houghson was talking about faceoffs last night, you could have sworn that MTL won more than us... :laugh:

Faceoff statisitics need to be viewed with context. Some players will purposely lose the draw in certain situations. Matthews has shown this already.

Reactions: MyBudJT

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Kapanen had a really good game, he was a puck hound on the PK.

If Nylander is sitting, I'd like to see Kap on Matthews' wing.

Kappy on the 4th is stupid no matter if Nylander is here or not. At the very least Leivo Kadri Kappy. Brown had a good season because of Matthews and that's about it. He's good defensively and doesn't really belong on L3.

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
Matthews is on another level compared to Tavares.
Tavares was better yesterday though. Had many good chances in a quiet game by Marner and an offgame by Hyman and no stupid giveaways in his own zone like AM.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
individually yes, but his impact on linemates and generating chances off the cycle, it's a lot closer than you'd think.

They're both superstars but Tavares was really hidden on Long Island, away from the media and surrounded by terrible coaching/linemates/goaltending/defense.

He got more chances in the first game than in 5-6 games as an Islander. He hasn't yet started creating chances for Mitch and Hyman (they're still VERY sloppy as a line but you can see flashes). These guys will DOMINATE teams by mid-season.

Oh yeah, agreed. The Leafs need to also learn to play with more urgency. The way they played last night would get them burned against a lot of NHL teams. Also, being a young glamorous offensive team they have a target on their back.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
We were 59% on the draw? The way Houghson was talking about faceoffs last night, you could have sworn that MTL won more than us... :laugh:
He always seem to have an obsession when the Leafs are losing the faceoffs, especially if they are playing a team like the Bruins whenever Bergeron takes a faceoff.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Bit surprised Carlo C singled out Oz for his bad player award. I liked him overall, Carlo was watching live with the other alumni, maybe players saw little things I missed. He wasnt lights out, but there were worse players that seems obvious.

Hainsey was much worse for example. I thought Oz was solid outside of the Penalty.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Better defensive pairings for next time
(that Bobcat won't do, because Hainsey is a REAL GUD PRO)

Rielly Gardiner
Dermott Zaitsev?Oz?
Hainsey (on a short leash) Oz/Zaitsev

Both Rielly and Gardiner are being brought down by inferior partners.
Dermott might be a star in the making, give him some time and see if he can carry one of the Russians.
Hainsey on the third pairing, only until we can find some help somewhere, (yeah, i saw Marincin, Borgman, Rosen et al in the pre-season, no thanks).

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Hainsey has looked done since last season.

I see him getting Polak treatment sooner than later. He can’t keep up.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
353F206D-9530-450A-B0F3-56DDA0650662.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad