Player Discussion Mattias Samuelsson, LHD (USNTDP), The Antidote, Distributing Cobra Strikes

2 others

Mar 9, 2021
He shouldn’t be there much longer. It looks like he’s on autopilot (in a good way). To me he meets both criteria for being called up which is, 1.) not much for him left to develop in AHL and 2.) there’s no way he’s not one of the organizations top 6 d men right now. I’d argue top 4.
Devil's advocate aka the Facepainter: How can he be a lock for top 4 if
1. he never played a full season in the NHL, or even close to it
2. his production doesn't scream top 4

Isn't it premature to call him a top 4 dman then?

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Devil's advocate aka the Facepainter: How can he be a lock for top 4 if
1. he never played a full season in the NHL, or even close to it
2. his production doesn't scream top 4

Isn't it premature to call him a top 4 dman then?

One doesn’t need to pile on the points to be a top 4 dman. Tanev was never known to do that and he’s a top 4.

RasmWristshotlainen

Jun 24, 2015
Finland
Something about his play that reminds me a lot of sekera when he was with us, solid defender with a hard shot and som offensive instincts as well. Would really love to see this guy with the same traits but more physicality. Exactly what we need. So pumped for him

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Something about his play that reminds me a lot of sekera when he was with us, solid defender with a hard shot and som offensive instincts as well. Would really love to see this guy with the same traits but more physicality. Exactly what we need. So pumped for him
Probably why they thought they could let Borgen go and get a usable year out of Hagg.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
One doesn’t need to pile on the points to be a top 4 dman. Tanev was never known to do that and he’s a top 4.

It's quite true that a top 4 dman doesn't need to pile on the points [in the NHL]. It's also unusual for a top 4 quality NHL dman to not pile on the points prior to the NHL. If you're good enough to be an above average NHL defensemen you're probably a star at the lower levels.

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
Borgen was let go because they had to expose someone. Even with the fleecing of Philly, I’m sure there are still some people that wish they protected Borgen over Risto.
I doubt it. Risto got like like 4x return of what he was worth.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
It's quite true that a top 4 dman doesn't need to pile on the points [in the NHL]. It's also unusual for a top 4 quality NHL dman to not pile on the points prior to the NHL. If you're good enough to be an above average NHL defensemen you're probably a star at the lower levels.

This is wrong though. To me, top 4 isn’t “4 best dmen”. It’s “good enough to be playing the most minutes with a partner whose skill sets compliment each other”.

Like you can do any combo of Dahlin and Joker, and Power and Samuelsson. One is the defensively responsible guy, one is more free to jump in the play. Then you just need to find someone with Bryson (Pysyk? Johnson? A D we draft this year? FA signing or a trade? Other prospect?). Regardless you just need to find people who have skill sets that are interchangeable, so it won’t matter if injuries or caught on a line change happens.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
This is wrong though. To me, top 4 isn’t “4 best dmen”. It’s “good enough to be playing the most minutes with a partner whose skill sets compliment each other”.

Like you can do any combo of Dahlin and Joker, and Power and Samuelsson. One is the defensively responsible guy, one is more free to jump in the play. Then you just need to find someone with Bryson (Pysyk? Johnson? A D we draft this year? FA signing or a trade? Other prospect?). Regardless you just need to find people who have skill sets that are interchangeable, so it won’t matter if injuries or caught on a line change happens.

Historically, it’s very very rare for someone who is not a major point producer at lower levels to break through as an NHL regular. He’s not wrong..

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Historically, it’s very very rare for someone who is not a major point producer at lower levels to break through as an NHL regular. He’s not wrong..

I was thinking of people like Gudas and Benn in regards to that they don’t really put up points, and can be the worst top 4 guy. Even they seemed to have put up points at lower levels, but that looks to be in a “one of their teams best dmen” thing.

Also apparently Gudas is only 31. I thought he was at least 36.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I was thinking of people like Gudas and Benn in regards to that they don’t really put up points, and can be the worst top 4 guy. Even they seemed to have put up points at lower levels, but that looks to be in a “one of their teams best dmen” thing.

Also apparently Gudas is only 31. I thought he was at least 36.

Not talking about a graduated player who’s already in the NHL, it’s the commentary about guys who in junior or in development leagues who wind up playing in the NHL. For example, Jay McKee was a point producer in the OHL. That was not his game.

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
I love this prospect. So solid defensively and a natural skater even tho not necessarily fast.

He really does remind me of a left-handed Kris Letang who's less impactful offensively but better defensively.

He's exactly what this team needs going forward, a big defense-centric d-man who wins battles and can transition the puck out of the zone.

7 assists in 10 games.
Not ground-breaking but keep in context he's a defense first player while still racking up assists.

He should probably start in Buffalo next year or 2023. Just such a steadying presence in the defensive zone which Sabres sorely lack. He can be signed on the cheap too prob., points seems to be the game when it comes to contracts- if he can just clear the puck out of the d-zone consistently, we found an absolute gem & missing piece of the puzzle.

Only 2 minor penalties in 10 games also as a d-man who's constantly in his own zone.

I wouldn't be fawning over him if I didn't feel so strongly from watching him and Sabres fans should be talking about him more imo.

*Just reread what I wrote cos I'm a nerd but edited for an honorable shout-out to Laaksonen and Davidson. I think both are B+ prospects and if one of them pans out, we'll be in good shape. Laaksonen oozes with skill but is learning to play defense better. Davidson is an awesome 2-way force who, like Samuelsson, is pretty spectacular in his own zone- at the AHL level at least.

I think the future is extremely bright at the blue-line and in general. But then again I've felt like that for like 15 years so.................................... We Shall See.

Last edited:

Bufbro

Jun 19, 2018
Just give us

dahlin - Pysyk
bryson - joker
Samuelsson - Miller

For the year and be done with it!
Except for the fact that you'll see Power near end of season and you're likely dumping Miller at the deadline.
End of Season:
Dahlin - pysyk
Power -Joki
Samuelsson-Bryson

Reactions: beerme1

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Except for the fact that you'll see Power near end of season and you're likely dumping Miller at the deadline.
End of Season:
Dahlin - pysyk
Power -Joki
Samuelsson-Bryson
You'll see Johnson also as Adams isn't going to skrimp and risk him returning to school for his senior year by not giving him any NHL games to burn an ELC year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad