Prospect Info: Mattias Norlinder Part 4

TomKosto

Oct 17, 2017
Montréal
True. Though you're not going to ask Barron or Ghule to quarterback your powerplay, whereas that's the thing Norlinder can do in his sleep... It's the rest of his game that isn't NHL ready that he and Luke Richardson and others need to work on and instill in him.
Is he that much of a PP QB honestly? I know he has some offensive skills, but 2 pts in 20 games in Europe doesn't scream offensive upside that much. It's gonna be really hard for him to climb the D hierarchy IMO.

Reactions: Nicko999

bopeep

Jan 22, 2004
bc
Is he that much of a PP QB honestly? I know he has some offensive skills, but 2 pts in 20 games in Europe doesn't scream offensive upside that much. It's gonna be really hard for him to climb the D hierarchy IMO.
Both he and Brook are in similar situations - age and deployment wise, injuries, and how they were once viewed in the organization until today where they've had other prospects climb past them. A wise poster in this forum preached patience with Norlinder and I'm trying to work with it

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I really like how you developp here, i'm convince!
From what I saw, Frolunda relies on vets for their 1st PP wave, they dont use top wings prospect Edvinsson either. Norlinder only gets very few opportunities on the 2nd PP wave at times.

SHL is a tough league for most kids, I like that Norlinder is putting more efforts on his defensive game and plays more physical than he used to. I do think he has the skills to be a PP quarterback and should get plenty of opportunities next year with either Montreal or Laval. Winning a championship with Frolunda would be huge for him.

Edit: As an example, William Eklund, drafted 7th OV last draft has only 1 goal 14 pts in 29 games this year in the SHL and his team got relegated to the 2nd division.

Last edited:
Reactions: TomKosto

Habaddict

Apr 12, 2009
toronto
If he can overcome his mobility issues in Laval next year,
and has a good off season getting a little bit stronger, he's
got #1D type skills. I'm still hopeful!

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
Noted bust Mattias Norlinder with another assist. Continuing his trend as being a player who produces during the big games.
He’s not a bust. He’s a 3rd round over-ager pick that will most likely not make an impact in the NHL and who regressed this year because he was mishandled.

Hope I’m wrong and these playoff performances show his true ceiling.

Reactions: Frank JT

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
What did you think of his play in all the SHL games you saw this year?
I know what I saw from training camp to his stint in the AHL.

Don’t have the privelage if watching SHL games like some others here unfortunately, but from what I’ve read here and based on his stats for an offensive defenseman, I can only assume not great.

How do you think he played in the regular season? Well enough to get you excited for his NHL future?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I know what I saw from training camp to his stint in the AHL.

Don’t have the privelage if watching SHL games like some others here unfortunately, but from what I’ve read here and based on his stats for an offensive defenseman, I can only assume not great.

How do you think he played in the regular season? Well enough to get you excited for his NHL future?

That's what I figured, it's been this way on HF for as long as I can recall, people just talk so much shit. You say he's regressed this year but do so without having seen him play and clearly not taking into effect that he played 1 game in the SHL, then came over then got injured, goes almost 2 months without playing a game, plays 3 in the AHL, goes up to the NHL and plays 6 - 2 under 10 mins, 12:09 ave TOI over the 6 games.

Then goes back to Sweden where he goes almost a month in between games. Plays 1 game and in the next game he get hit into the boards from behind 5 mins into the game. Days after the hit he talks about having headaches. Goes over a month in between games. Plays 18 games mostly as a 5th D, ave TOI 15:02 over all 21 games.

So you say he's regressed without seeing him, which to me I don't get that, why say he's regressed when you haven't watched him play, why not just ask or say his points are way down. But this has always happened on HF by countless posters. I haven't watched him much this year because we have so many prospects and I can't watch them all, I have seen a lot of him in the past in the SHL so I'm not worried.

That said you could be 100% right, he could have regressed, or it could just be a combo of things like the injuries, having to constantly have to shake the rust off from going 4-5 weeks in between games several times, then you have the much lower TOI as his team knows he's not coming back next year since he's not under contract with them and he is with us so it's not like they need to do him any favors. He went from top PP to 2nd PP unit this year.

In the playoffs his ave TOI is 18:59, 4 mins over the 21 games in the regular season and If he had 1 more assist, only 1 blueliner in the SHL playoffs would have more then him. He's currently tied for 8th OA in points for blueliners in the playoffs. He's 2nd OA in points for U-23 defensemen.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
That's what I figured, it's been this way on HF for as long as I can recall, people just talk so much shit. You say he's regressed this year but do so without having seen him play and clearly not taking into effect that he played 1 game in the SHL, then came over then got injured, goes almost 2 months without playing a game, plays 3 in the AHL, goes up to the NHL and plays 6 - 2 under 10 mins, 12:09 ave TOI over the 6 games.

Then goes back to Sweden where he goes almost a month in between games. Plays 1 game and in the next game he get hit into the boards from behind 5 mins into the game. Days after the hit he talks about having headaches. Goes over a month in between games. Plays 18 games mostly as a 5th D, ave TOI 15:02 over all 21 games.

So you say he's regressed without seeing him, which to me I don't get that, why say he's regressed when you haven't watched him play, why not just ask or say his points are way down. But this has always happened on HF by countless posters. I haven't watched him much this year because we have so many prospects and I can't watch them all, I have seen a lot of him in the past in the SHL so I'm not worried.

That said you could be 100% right, he could have regressed, or it could just be a combo of things like the injuries, having to constantly have to shake the rust off from going 4-5 weeks in between games several times, then you have the much lower TOI as his team knows he's not coming back next year since he's not under contract with them and he is with us so it's not like they need to do him any favors. He went from top PP to 2nd PP unit this year.

In the playoffs his ave TOI is 18:59, 4 mins over the 21 games in the regular season and If he had 1 more assist, only 1 blueliner in the SHL playoffs would have more then him. He's currently tied for 8th OA in points for blueliners in the playoffs. He's 2nd OA in points for U-23 defensemen.

The Nordlinder I seen last fall should play in NHL. At a fairly high level. What has happened since he went back to Sweden I do not know about? He could be another Nygren too. Unsure

Reactions: montreal

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009

Ok so you and a couple of other guys have fun discussing while the rest shut their mouths. What a great forum this will become.

Ive seen norlinder play a lot of games this season which allows me to make my claim. Dont care if you think Otherwise. You are not the authority on my opinion.

Eye test in NA (albeit too early but like I said before the damage was done), plus a regression in production in the SHL for an offensive defenseman (with limited insight other than your own posts and others on this board who have the time and means to watch european hockey) makes me feel confident in my claim.

I have every right to post my comments and you have every right to refute and challenge. What’s not appreciated is attempting to belittle other people’s opinion because it’s not educated enough for your liking.

I’ve watched a bunch of your highlight packages on european prospects and if you’re not posting them to give us visibility into the prospect’s performances so we can form opinions based on what we’re seeing, then what’s the point?

Reactions: HabsHammer

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Ok so you and a couple of other guys have fun discussing while the rest shut their mouths. What a great forum this will become.

Ive seen norlinder play a lot of games this season which allows me to make my claim. Dont care if you think Otherwise. You are not the authority on my opinion.

Eye test in NA (albeit too early but like I said before the damage was done), plus a regression in production in the SHL for an offensive defenseman (with limited insight other than your own posts and others on this board who have the time and means to watch european hockey) makes me feel confident in my claim.

I have every right to post my comments and you have every right to refute and challenge. What’s not appreciated is attempting to belittle other people’s opinion because it’s not educated enough for your liking.

I’ve watched a bunch of your highlight packages on european prospects and if you’re not posting them to give us visibility into the prospect’s performances so we can form opinions based on what we’re seeing, then what’s the point?

He laid into you pretty hard, i admit, but you have to see through it to see the general comment: do not speak in absolutes unless you have knowledge to bring to the table.

Also, if you had that knowledge, it is quite probable that you wouldn't allow yourself to be so certain, because you would see that things are not black and white.

The addition of "In my opinion" would have made a world of difference in perception of your post.

Reactions: Brownies

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

who said anything about shutting their mouths, I never said people can't talk about him, but instead of saying something that you legit know you don't know what you are talking about because of course watching someone play hockey vs just looking at stats is very very different. So why not just ask people that have watched him, what they think or are they concerned with his lack of production, etc... There's a legit chance he just been overrated and amounts to nothing, it happens as he's a boom or bust prospect mostly likely as if he's not putting up points then he's not likely going to bring enough to make up for other areas of his game.

But the puck skills are legit, they are there, the SHL is a low scoring league and I don't know what happened to him and why his points are really bad and why he seems to crush it in the playoffs. What I know is he's very skill, he can shoot the puck so well but also moves it well. While I would never expect him to be the next Markov, I do think he's our best hope, as Mailloux I could see having a little higher upside due to his size but I haven't seen enough of Mailloux to really say yet.

We'll see what happens next year and it make take more then that since this year he's lost so much time, the hope is that he can stay healthy and showcase his talents under a new more offensive coach. I still consider him one of the Habs top prospects and is right there in the group with our best of Mailloux, Roy, Farrell, Guhle, Harris, Barron, Kidney

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
who said anything about shutting their mouths, I never said people can't talk about him, but instead of saying something that you legit know you don't know what you are talking about because of course watching someone play hockey vs just looking at stats is very very different. So why not just ask people that have watched him, what they think or are they concerned with his lack of production, etc... There's a legit chance he just been overrated and amounts to nothing, it happens as he's a boom or bust prospect mostly likely as if he's not putting up points then he's not likely going to bring enough to make up for other areas of his game.

But the puck skills are legit, they are there, the SHL is a low scoring league and I don't know what happened to him and why his points are really bad and why he seems to crush it in the playoffs. What I know is he's very skill, he can shoot the puck so well but also moves it well. While I would never expect him to be the next Markov, I do think he's our best hope, as Mailloux I could see having a little higher upside due to his size but I haven't seen enough of Mailloux to really say yet.

We'll see what happens next year and it make take more then that since this year he's lost so much time, the hope is that he can stay healthy and showcase his talents under a new more offensive coach. I still consider him one of the Habs top prospects and is right there in the group with our best of Mailloux, Roy, Farrell, Guhle, Harris, Barron, Kidney
You are the only reason I still hold out hope for this player @montreal

Reactions: montreal

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
You are the only reason I still hold out hope for this player @montreal

I don't think I'm the only one that's still high on him, but of course we are all wrong from time to time as I was really high on many that didn't pan out from M-A Thinel Hossa, Balej, Perezhogin, both Kostitsyn's, Kristo, Collberg, Nygren, Galchenyuk, Garon, Hudon

He's putting up points in the playoffs at a very good rate so that's something. He'll need a good off-season and hopefully he has a strong camp and they figure out how best to use his skills. If he has to start out in Laval then so be it.

Reactions: Tyson

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
He laid into you pretty hard, i admit, but you have to see through it to see the general comment: do not speak in absolutes unless you have knowledge to bring to the table.

Also, if you had that knowledge, it is quite probable that you wouldn't allow yourself to be so certain, because you would see that things are not black and white.

The addition of "In my opinion" would have made a world of difference in perception of your post.

What absolutes did I speak? I said he regressed cause thats what I saw?

This is a message forum. We’re all spewing out our opinions.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009

I watched him play hockey enough to form my opinion as I’ve stated several times. Thanks for the advice.

I do like to refer to your posts and videos for knowledge on euro prospects. The amount of time you dedicate to watching hockey is something I’m not willing to do but is something I and many on this board do appreciate. The fact that I dont doesnt disqualify my opinion, especially because I’ve watched him play hockey a lot this season.

Appreciate your input in this post under your initial message.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I watched him play hockey enough to form my opinion as I’ve stated several times. Thanks for the advice.

I do like to refer to your posts and videos for knowledge on euro prospects. The amount of time you dedicate to watching hockey is something I’m not willing to do but is something I and many on this board do appreciate. The fact that I dont doesnt disqualify my opinion, especially because I’ve watched him play hockey a lot this season.

Appreciate your input in this post under your initial message.

Yes it does, If you say a player has regressed without seeing them play, that's not a well informed opinion it's just saying something that you would have no way of knowing if true or not since stats don't always tell the story and if you haven't watched him in Sweden and just go based off what he showed over here while he struggled badly doesn't mean he's regressed. It just shows that he's struggled to stay healthy and with the smaller ice and pace of the game. How do you know how much of it was impacted by injuries? None of us know, but that's why I don't go around saying something I can't know if it's true or not.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
What absolutes did I speak? I said he regressed cause thats what I saw?

This is a message forum. We’re all spewing out our opinions.

You said he regressed, if you aren't watching him in Sweden how do you know that? What's it based off, as what you saw in North America was not what he's shown in Sweden in the past and now in the playoffs. How do you know that the concussion and shoulder just didn't impact him this year?

If you say a player has regressed and then say you haven't watched a single game, then you are going to get called out for it. Again you could be 100% right but if so it's based off nothing then stats.

Reactions: Miller Time

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
You said he regressed, if you aren't watching him in Sweden how do you know that? What's it based off, as what you saw in North America was not what he's shown in Sweden in the past and now in the playoffs. How do you know that the concussion and shoulder just didn't impact him this year?

If you say a player has regressed and then say you haven't watched a single game, then you are going to get called out for it. Again you could be 100% right but if so it's based off nothing then stats.

You’re thinking too hard on my comments here. I’m sorry that my perceived uninformed opinion has triggered this angst you share for people who talk shit on this forum without backing it up.

He was unimpressive this season in the games I saw (am I allowed to say this? Please confirm. Thank you in advance.) and based on the highlights you so generously share with the uninformed North American only watchers on this forum. Stats watching is a sin and shouldnt be considered in evaluating prospects we cant watch live, so thanks again for doing your part.

He wont make an impact in the nhl in my humble opinion. I hope I’m wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad