Prospect Info: Mattias Norlinder Part 4

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
continue... Prospect Info: - Mattias Norlinder - Part 3

I asked a question in twitch about him, Hughes said the plan is for Norlinder to be at development camp and will play in either Laval or the Habs.

will be great to have Norlinder, Harris, Ghule all pushing each other/competing for a roster spot out of camp... not too mention older guys like Clague, Brook, Schueneman in the mix. In a good structure, that kind of competition will bring out the best...

especially in an environment with the style of coaching leadership, we've seen from MSL, and GM leadership from Hughes that appreciates the importance of clear, supportive communication with players.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
will be great to have Norlinder, Harris, Ghule all pushing each other/competing for a roster spot out of camp... not too mention older guys like Clague, Brook, Schueneman in the mix. In a good structure, that kind of competition will bring out the best...

especially in an environment with the style of coaching leadership, we've seen from MSL, and GM leadership from Hughes that appreciates the importance of clear, supportive communication with players.

certainly would like to see Norlinder on the PP under MSL and passing to Caufield instead of having him watch Chiarot try to run the PP.

Habaddict

Apr 12, 2009
toronto
certainly would like to see Norlinder on the PP under MSL and passing to Caufield instead of having him watch Chiarot try to run the PP.
That annoyence is over. But my impression is his biggest talent
is creating space 5 on 5, by jumping into holes, with or without puck.
Could be lethal with CC and Suzi !!!

Reactions: montreal and 26Mats

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
He should start next season in Laval getting use to the rink size and physicality.
Having Guhle, Barron, Norlinder and Harris getting lot of ice time and some time to gel and grow together would be great for the future of this D. Once we are out of the playoff you call them up.

Reactions: cphabs and montreal

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He should start next season in Laval getting use to the rink size and physicality.
Having Guhle, Barron, Norlinder and Harris getting lot of ice time and some time to gel and grow together would be great for the future of this D. Once we are out of the playoff you call them up.
Plus Xhekaj and Fairbrother.

That's already 6.

Will be interesting to see what happens to Brook and long timer Ouellet.

Jul 6, 2016
I was high on Barron before the draft, still am. Had my doubts about Guhle, esp. vs Schneider but he has been trending well.

I merely try to always remember that a prospect is nothing certain. And even being this pessimistic some would call it, I was fooled when Norlinder did not make the team and has shown nothing in Sweden since...
Norlinder seems weak physically and mentally.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He did not want to play with Laval this year. Homesick ? Pissed off to have been sent down to Laval ? What has he done since then in Sweden ?

Those, or $$$.

I can't comment on his offensive numbers and ice time. Hope he can get healthy and come over here next year to play in Laval.

I thought we own his rights so he'll have to. But Gorton seemed to say in a press conference that he hoped Norlinder would play in Laval next year if he didn't make the big club, as if it wasn't automatic.

Jul 6, 2016
Those, or $$$.

I can't comment on his offensive numbers and ice time. Hope he can get healthy and come over here next year to play in Laval.

I thought we own his rights so he'll have to. But Gorton seemed to say in a press conference that he hoped Norlinder would play in Laval next year if he didn't make the big club, as if it wasn't automatic.
I think he would had benefitted a lot if he would had stayed in Laval for a full season.

Reactions: 26Mats

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
He did not want to play with Laval this year. Homesick ? Pissed off to have been sent down to Laval ? What has he done since then in Sweden ?

He was told by Marc Bergevin that if he didn't make the Habs they would return him to Sweden. They kept him around in the NHL without playing him after the injury, then sent him to Laval on conditioning, brought him back up and barely used him until they could exploit the loophole and send him back down to Laval.

I don't like being lied to, do you?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
This failed Season where he was no good in MTL and in Laval.

he was starting to play well in Laval. But lot's of players have come back from a poor start after being injured. He's got to stay healthy but it's not like his skills just disappeared the same way that Caufield could only score 1 goal in 30 games.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He doesn't have much choice in the matter since he signed a contract.
Yeah, I was surprised to hear Gorton say he hoped Norlinder would play in Laval if he doesn't make the big club.

At the end of the day, the players aren't slaves. I suppose he could always push to terminate his contract like Reway did when the team wanted him in Laval and he didn't want to play there? Plus, now since the Ukraine war I think the KHL and NHL don't have any agreement, so I'd imagine he's free to sign in the KHL?

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022
Yeah, I was surprised to hear Gorton say he hoped Norlinder would play in Laval if he doesn't make the big club.

At the end of the day, the players aren't slaves. I suppose he could always push to terminate his contract like Reway did when the team wanted him in Laval and he didn't want to play there? Plus, now since the Ukraine war I think the KHL and NHL don't have any agreement, so I'd imagine he's free to sign in the KHL?
If he’s smart he’ll come over and play where ever the coaches tell him to play. Trust the professionals kid.

Reactions: 26Mats

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
How can you judge da mentull??

It probably shouldn't be called "mental attributes" but Norlinder looked so lost on the ice when he was with us. I've followed the Habs for some time now and there were a few players we brought up too quick who looked like they severely lacked certain elements to be an NHLer when they were young. The example that comes to my mind is Latendresse in his first year. He was probably the slowest player in the league, it just jumped at you how slow he was.

Norlinder was a bit like that to me but with his positioning. It's not normal to see a D-man go so far in the O-zone that you feel there could be a 2 on 1 at any point. He also looked way too confident for a guy who clearly was out of his depth. I did thought that his offense looked very promising though, but the defense was just way too far off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad