Prospect Info: Mattias Norlinder Part 4

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
He was really never that great in the ahl, so this is par for the course. A couple good exhibition games don’t tell the true story. He’ll be back in Europe next year, I’m sure.
Yep it just goes to show how much of an effort NHL guys put in during the pre season, Norlinder looked like a stud playing the Leafs. He has arguably been the worst D on Laval in many of the games I watched.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I feel like if Beaudin was that good of a PPQB, Houle wouldn't healthy scratch him. To me it feels more like a treat to Beaudin for being professional in the room while being scratched.

The problem is the 2nd word of your sentence as it is inherently a flag for a biased and overly subjective narrative and that is fine as we all feel a certain way. The next step is to audit your feelings on the matter through an objective lens and that is not happening.

One dimensional PP QB's get benched and scratched all of the time, I just don't see where the confusion can possibly be on this matter.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
The problem is the 2nd word of your sentence as it is inherently a flag for a biased and overly subjective narrative and that is fine as we all feel a certain way. The next step is to audit your feelings on the matter through an objective lens and that is not happening.

One dimensional PP QB's get benched and scratched all of the time, I just don't see where the confusion can possibly be on this matter.
Dude, everything you post on here is based on your own feelings. Stop trying to be the smartest dude in the room. No one here has ultimate judgment on everything, not even in hockey.

As for the second part of your post, Beaudin is not the top ppqb of this team, which is why he shouldn’t be on the top wave, especially after being healthy scratch.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Dude, everything you post on here is based on your own feelings. Stop trying to be the smartest dude in the room. No one here has ultimate judgment on everything, not even in hockey.

As for the second part of your post, Beaudin is not the top ppqb of this team, which is why he shouldn’t be on the top wave, especially after being healthy scratch.

Oh calm down, I clearly stated that everyone has a bias. Zero reason for your tone or for your little rant.

If you consider my attempted adherence to something resembling objectivity to be bothersome then perhaps you might consider auditing your responses. And.....I never claimed that Beaudin is the default "top ppqb of this team". If you are going to respond in this manner at least take the time to properly address my statement instead of yet again filtering it through your bias and disingenuously paraphrasing me.

The Beaudin issue on this form was and apparently still is a silly one imo and is just a hot take born from an ill supported anti Houle narrative.

Can we not just let the process unfold a little longer and refrain from emotion driven narratives....or atleast back down from them just a little when we cool off? Everyone has emotional responses that are not based in objective analysis and some just need to learn to avoid immediately sharing those thoughts with everyone. I have had to learn that lesson but still slip up from time to time

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Yep it just goes to show how much of an effort NHL guys put in during the pre season, Norlinder looked like a stud playing the Leafs. He has arguably been the worst D on Laval in many of the games I watched.
Funny I said I was done with him after last season. Then he comes into camp and it looks like a plate of crow for me but he died the very second he got sent back to Laval. Thought he was going to make the team and folded when he didn't or realized he was never going to make the team or the NHL? :dunno:

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Yeah it is a bit puzzling after a strong camp that he immediately fizzled. At least we are no longer so short on defensemen that it is much of a problem.

At this point, Norlinder doesn't look good in the A and I look forward to him going back home to give icetime to more interesting players instead.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Yeah it is a bit puzzling after a strong camp that he immediately fizzled. At least we are no longer so short on defensemen that it is much of a problem.

At this point, Norlinder doesn't look good in the A and I look forward to him going back home to give icetime to more interesting players instead.
That kid Tourigny deserves a shot over Norlinder.

Last edited:

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
I’m shocked he’s still in NA. I said last season he’d be back in Europe soon. He’s just not that good.

Reactions: Tyson

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I’m shocked he’s still in NA. I said last season he’d be back in Europe soon. He’s just not that good.
Skilled but no intensity. He’s playing shinny hockey.

He’s already been passed on the depth chart by Struble, Harris and Kovacevic. And he’s about to be passed on the gallop by Hutson, Mailloux, Reinbacher and Engstrom.

Heck, even Trudeau’s looking better.

Jul 6, 2016
He is the worst D in Laval. Next season, he is back in Sweden for sure.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
He is the worst D in Laval. Next season, he is back in Sweden for sure.
So that looks sad. After all these posts, we are at Norlinder's part IV, we come to the conclusion he's not made for nhl, he's getting passed by at least 9 D, including Trudeau. What a waste of time, 4 threads about him.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Never understood the hype. I did have limited viewings of him so I tried to defer to others on this guy, but so many posters were ranking him our number 1 prospect etc. reminds me of the Poehling hype, two fringe prospects being glorified beyond belief.

This guy has no intensity/drive, loads of skill and no chance at becoming an NHL regular.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
So that looks sad. After all these posts, we are at Norlinder's part IV, we come to the conclusion he's not made for nhl, he's getting passed by at least 9 D, including Trudeau. What a waste of time, 4 threads about him.
When you’re desperate, you look for any silver lining.

While Norlinder has undeniable skills, there is no snap or urgency to his game. When you are playing in a league filled with skillful players and you don’t bring that sense of urgency or high compete level you will be properly and predictably passed by other prospects who are equally skilled but play at a higher intensity level.

Regrettably, for Norlinder, and the team that held out such high hopes for his ultimate ceiling , he is development- wise, the proverbial ship that has sailed.

Time to move on.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

While Norlinder has undeniable skills, there is no snap or urgency to his game. When you are playing in a league filled with skillful players and you don’t bring that sense of urgency or high compete level you will be properly and predictably passed by other prospects who are equally skilled but play at a higher intensity level.

Regrettably, for Norlinder, and the team that held out such high hopes for his ultimate ceiling , he is development- wise, the proverbial ship that has sailed.

Time to move on.
💯 %

Reactions: Dutronc

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Time to move on.

The good news is, so many of our D prospects are blossoming. We never expected or needed all of them to succeed. That's why you get a deep pool. And it's looking like more will succeed than we have space for.

The pool of young D is even deeper than the one that had Subban, McDonagh, Streit, Emelin, Y. Weber and O'byrne. Though we'll see if it has the same high end. It way very well.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Never understood the hype. I did have limited viewings of him so I tried to defer to others on this guy, but so many posters were ranking him our number 1 prospect etc. reminds me of the Poehling hype, two fringe prospects being glorified beyond belief.

This guy has no intensity/drive, loads of skill and no chance at becoming an NHL regular.

Norlinder had a couple very strong playoffs in the SweHL that led to him getting a lot of hype. I recall he had a couple bad concussions after that which didn't help his development.

The other reason for him being ranked high in our prospect pool was because how bad our drafting was in the years before he was drafted. From 2014 - 2018 our draft picks in the top 3 rounds were as follows:

2014: Scherbak, Lernout
2015: Juulsen, Vejdemo
2016: Sergachev (traded), Bitten
2017: Poehling, Brook, Ikonen, Walford, Fleury
2018: Kotkaniemi, Ylonen, Romanov, Olofsson, Hillis, Harris

Reactions: montreal

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land

Time to move on.
Yes, it happens. Not a tragedy. We have plenty good D in our bank.

Reactions: 26Mats

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad