Confirmed with Link: Mattias Ekholm extended (4yx6.25m)

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Obviously the team wants to boost sales and I hope it works, I personally would like to see the team stay in Nashville.

But

What exactly am I missing that they are over hyping? Ekholm is a top 2 Dman in this league, they should be happy that he's signed to this contract for a very reasonable amount of money and term.
I mean, I’m a fan of his. Glad he is here and the deal is good. But the whole ‘MAJOR HOCKEY ANNOUNCEMENT’ build up? And I guess I’m out of it. Are there rumors of the Preds leaving Nashville?

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
If you are comparing Ekholm to Kevin Klein, well you should stop making comparisons.
Klein was a good second pairing Dman for a while and I really liked him on the Preds but that's just idiotic to compare them.
I realize Ekholm is technically on the second pair now but that's only because of being the second best LHD on the team. Luckily for the Preds it actually gives the defensive pairing a nice one two punch and some balance.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I mean, I’m a fan of his. Glad he is here and the deal is good. But the whole ‘MAJOR HOCKEY ANNOUNCEMENT’ build up? And I guess I’m out of it. Are there rumors of the Preds leaving Nashville?
It was a major hockey announcement. The whole f***ing NHL mediasphere has been discussing Poile trading him for over a year now. The fact he is signed is a top headline throughout the league not just here.

No rumors. Are you against boosting sales in some way? Is that a bad thing?

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Most hockey media is based out of Toronto. To them Toronto=$ So pro Toronto everything. Also hype=everything. Toronto media goes gaga for Stephen A Smith.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Anyone else remember Ekholm getting 1 game at the start of a season and Trotz calling him awful and he got sent back to Sweden for the entire rest of the season?
I don't remember that but I remember pumping his tires in his rookie season and very few people believing/understanding what I saw.

Reactions: triggrman

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
It’s going to be interesting to reference back to this thread in a couple of years if Dom is right. Think we had the same disparity relative to the Granlund contract. Time will tell but as of today I’m glad Ek is with us for a few more seasons.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I can't find any sources that don't say 2 games. They perhaps are including preseason games in the article.
Date on the article is 10/22 so he was probably on the 23 man roster for 6 games but was scratched for 4 of them, it is an NBC article after all.

Also, now that I think about it, that seems like such a Trotz thing to do back then. Scratch a kid for 4 out of 6 games then bash him in the media for not playing well...

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
So Ekholm is going to go from extreme high end 2nd pairing / 1st pairing dman to full kevin Klein (#4 in his best years) in one season? Call me skeptical. I mean I think it was best that we trade him given his age and where the team is at but this doesn’t look like a bad deal to me. A tad more expensive then I wanted but term is good. Given the stupid money that was thrown out a dmen this off-season he probably could’ve gotten more as a ufa

Reactions: bdub24

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
It was a major hockey announcement. The whole f***ing NHL mediasphere has been discussing Poile trading him for over a year now. The fact he is signed is a top headline throughout the league not just here.

No rumors. Are you against boosting sales in some way? Is that a bad thing?
Honestly I didn’t think Ekholm was at severe risk after the initial deals went through. LOL at your question about having something against sales. The Preds have been doing amazingly well for quite a while now. Really since the hosting of the ASG and they have a game at Nissan Stadium coming up this year. I really don't think butts in seats is gonna be an issue.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Ekholm is a 2nd pair defenseman in the same way Malkin is a 2nd line center. I was a massive Kevin Klein fan, but was like the definition of a #4.
And... not that I expect it to happen again or that it has necessarily happened before (although a couple recent playoff seasons just maybe)... and last year was a really weird year in a lot of ways... but still... Ekholm was better overall for us than Josi last year. Yep. Call it :propeller if you want. But he was.

And not that voters are necessarily all that smart or that it ALWAYS means something... but... 10th in Norris voting in 2019. That's 10th amongst ALL DEFENSEMEN IN THE NHL. That wasn't very long ago. And he has not dropped off noticeably in his play since.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad