News Article: Matthews won't reach full bonuses ( Saves $2,000,000

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
well they already call him Mats, so you lose that battle.

Let the players call him Mats. Virtually none of them played with Sundin, so it's not disrespectful. However, I don't think fans should call him Mats. Most of the Leafs fanbase still remembers Mats Sundin, so it feels disrespectful for them to use that nickname.

Fans using players' nicknames for each other also feels like the same sort of crap as fans saying "we" -- like they're deluding themselves into thinking they're part of the team.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Hate to "ruin" the mood but the article says Thews can also get his Schedule B bonus if he's top 10 among forwards in goals per game with a minimum of 42 games played. Currently Thews sits tied for 5th in goals per game and he's played 59 games.

lmao Thews I cringed so hard.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Let the players call him Mats. Virtually none of them played with Sundin, so it's not disrespectful. However, I don't think fans should call him Mats. Most of the Leafs fanbase still remembers Mats Sundin, so it feels disrespectful for them to use that nickname.

Fans using players' nicknames for each other also feels like the same sort of crap as fans saying "we" -- like they're deluding themselves into thinking they're part of the team.

well it doesn't really surprise me you would have that mindset as your view of fandom is very different from a lot of other peoples.

There's nothing wrong with saying "we" nor is there anything wrong with using a form of nickname. but each their own. I however, would never assume people are deluding themselves regarding anything.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
He shouldn't receive any bonuses for a very weak and disappointing season like this one. Under 60 pts, 20 games missed (assuming he doesn't miss more), plus most of the games he's played he has played injured (including right now, where he looks like he's 50% at best, and that's being generous).

Hopefully he can fully heal -- we haven't seen 100% Matthews since early November. He should heal, refocus and come back next season and play well. Just forget about this season and move on from it.

I don't even see the point of him being in the post season at 50% with an inability to forecheck or check at all due to the shoulder stuff.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
well it doesn't really surprise me you would have that mindset as your view of fandom is very different from a lot of other peoples.

There's nothing wrong with saying "we" nor is there anything wrong with using a form of nickname. but each their own. I however, would never assume people are deluding themselves regarding anything.

How is there nothing wrong with saying "we"? If I was a player on a Stanley Cup winning team and heard some fan claiming "we won the Cup," I'd want to smash the idiot in the mouth for trying to take credit for something they didn't do.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
How is there nothing wrong with saying "we"? If I was a player on a Stanley Cup winning team and heard some fan claiming "we won the Cup," I'd want to smash the idiot in the mouth for trying to take credit for something they didn't do.

well. again. as i've said. you have a different way of fandom, and verbage than others.
that doesn't mean you are right, and they are wrong - nor does it mean they are right and you are wrong. but again. I wouldn't call you deluded because you view articulate your fandom differently than I do, but it seems that you do (hence your two statements).

the "6th man" phenomenon isn't new. and it's something that's promoted throughout all 4 leagues. (obviously not always 6, in football it would be "13th" or whatever) in a clear attempt to have that kind of synergy/ownership that you seem to dismiss. My team won the cup, we won the cup, it's the same kind of connotation. if you want to take it to mean that this mean I want credit for something my team did - that's your prerogative. but again, each their own.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
well. again. as i've said. you have a different way of fandom, and verbage than others.
that doesn't mean you are right, and they are wrong - nor does it mean they are right and you are wrong. but again. I wouldn't call you deluded because you view articulate your fandom differently than I do, but it seems that you do (hence your two statements).

the "6th man" phenomenon isn't new. and it's something that's promoted throughout all 4 leagues. (obviously not always 6, in football it would be "13th" or whatever) in a clear attempt to have that kind of synergy/ownership that you seem to dismiss. My team won the cup, we won the cup, it's the same kind of connotation. if you want to take it to mean that this mean I want credit for something my team did - that's your prerogative. but again, each their own.

Never said it was new. And of course, leagues promote it. Supporting the fan delusion that they’re part of the team is good for the team financially. And I’m sure that the "6th man" garbage is across all four leagues. I have certainly run into it in regards to NBA, NHL, and NFL, but I can’t say that I’ve run into it with MLB teams.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Never said it was new. And of course, leagues promote it. Supporting the fan delusion that they’re part of the team is good for the team financially. And I’m sure that the "6th man" garbage is across all four leagues. I have certainly run into it in regards to NBA, NHL, and NFL, but I can’t say that I’ve run into it with MLB teams.

fine.
we don't agree. i've said this three times now. and since you are very set in your feelings just let us move on it, you don't have to quote me to say (again) you disagree on something i've already acknowledged that you did.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Matts is his nickname in the Leaf room and I hear/read fans calling him Matts. Matty is Matt Martin's nickname.

I absolutely hate calling Matthews Matty but isn't Martin's nickname Marty, and Matthews Matty? I sear I've heard Babs call Matthews Matty and Martin Marty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad