News Article: Matthews won't reach full bonuses ( Saves $2,000,000

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! and yes I get you are joking.

I'm only partly kidding actually. I know it's still unlikely due to the inevitable cap crunch we'll face, but maybe this will increase the chances of management at least considering making JVR a fair offer.

And yes, I know I'm in the minority on this one.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Hate to "ruin" the mood but the article says Thews can also get his Schedule B bonus if he's top 10 among forwards in goals per game with a minimum of 42 games played. Currently Thews sits tied for 5th in goals per game and he's played 59 games.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Hate to "ruin" the mood but the article says Thews can also get his Schedule B bonus if he's top 10 among forwards in goals per game with a minimum of 42 games played. Currently Thews sits tied for 5th in goals per game and he's played 59 games.

Well lock this baby down mods. So sorry!!! I didn't even read that! sh!t

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016

Goals per game is not a Schedule B criteria. Points per game is (top 10) but he is not in any danger of cracking that.

10th in pts/game is currently 1.12

Matthews sits 34th in ppg at .97

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
The goals per game noted in the article looks like a typo.

Bonus criteria is listed in the CBA if anyone is interested - Exhibit 5

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Lol that's right. I believe it, how do I put this politically....makes Caucasians uncomfortable.

You're not wrong, the term is a lot more sexualized in Caucasian culture. It's also not a common hockey nickname because of it. I can't think of any hockey player that was known as big daddy but I know it's more acceptable in sports like baseball.

I mean it's a nickname I guess but it's still very weird to call a hockey player big daddy at this point and time.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
As @White Shadow mentioned regarding Schedule B bonuses, Auston is quite a ways away from hitting the Top 10 mark.

Regarding Schedule B bonuses:

Two types of bonuses covered under type B:

1. The first type are paid by the league, not the team, and they do not ever count against the cap. They are paid out to any player on an ELC who hits one of the following:

• The first is for finishing in the top few in voting for or winning any of the NHL trophies given out at the NHL Awards.
  • The second is for finishing in the league top ten in simple counting stats for your position—goals, assists, points, ice time, goals against average, save percentage or wins.
2. The second type of B bonuses are given for any of the same set of criteria, with a few minor differences in which trophies are included, but they are paid by the team, and the amounts for each bonus are negotiated by the team and the player's agent. They do count against the cap.

The total amount a player can receive in team-paid type B bonuses is $2 million.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad