Post-Game Talk: Matthews with a 4pt night and the Oiler win 7-1

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Valimaki and Nesterov being on the ice for three goals against in 5 minutes of ice time was truly impressive.

McDavid flat out abused that pair in a way I haven't seen in a while. And he had some fun with Hanifin (who I still maintain is hands down the most overrated player in the league) as well.

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
Amazing weekend. Have to enjoy it because there will be slumps and struggles to come, but at this point I am convinced that I was wrong to doubt the Oilers after their rough start. I think this team can, and will, make the playoffs.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Cassie having to talk about the McDavid performance.

giphy.gif

Some dude from Manchester England playing the role with all his heart..heh. just kidding around but they wouldn't have to spray tears on Cassies face..

Reactions: BlackDogg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
They don’t like each other..... silly folks. Granted there is a guy on the sens board that doesn’t like me, because I cheer for two teams. People are strange for the reasons they don’t like people. I don’t get it. Cheer for whoever you want. I have a friend that cheers for Dallas and Washington

poor confused soul. I’m not mad at him, I just pray for him and his demons :) lol

Just to clarify no conflict before, no dislike, just that there is no point in dialog with somebody that is not engaging in clear discussion. Thats no slight, the person seemed to be heated, and its harder to have rational dialog with somebody predisposed to that.

I certainly take no hard feelings from it, and hope others don't. Its a discussion board. you get to know some people a bit more, others you don't and never the twain shall meet. People know whether or not they connect with this poster or that. Thats natural.

Reactions: tardigrade81

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
McDavid flat out abused that pair in a way I haven't seen in a while. And he had some fun with Hanifin (who I still maintain is hands down the most overrated player in the league) as well.

What does he do? Skating well isn't enough. He's not a shutdown guy, an offensive guy, he's not tough, he's a whole lot of just there. He's still young and D can take some time, and it's not like he's useless, but he doesn't seem to do anything great and that's not a guy I'd want to heavily rely on. They better hope Valimaki figures the league out soon because at LD, like Obi, he's their only hope.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
What does he do? Skating well isn't enough. He's not a shutdown guy, an offensive guy, he's not tough, he's a whole lot of just there. He's still young and D can take some time, and it's not like he's useless, but he doesn't seem to do anything great and that's not a guy I'd want to heavily rely on. They better hope Valimaki figures the league out soon because at LD, like Obi, he's their only hope.

If we didn’t win the 2015 draft lottery he’d probably be an Oiler right now....

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Flames fans getting triggered in the Calgary dysfunction thread on the mains. You love to see it.

Reactions: frag2

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
:laugh: He did. That is officially worse than chop wood.
Its hard to conceive as being possible, but Pat Quinn was even worse, add that he mumbled everything that came out of his mouth. Players didn't have a clue what he was talking about, neither did I. Jam, filling, jamtarts, poptarts, toast, he had a thing for breakfast.

Reactions: McFuhryous

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

On top of all that he's prone to monumental screw ups. He slid into his own goalie as he was taking himself out of the play on the winning goal Friday, then mishandled the puck and got torched by McDavid on Saturday.

He's kind of average at everything skills wise (other than skating which is above average), but you can tell he's severely lacking in hockey sense which renders him no better than an average #4 at best.

Before the game Friday Gregor had some Flame media hack on (forget his name, but it wasn't Francis) who was befuddled by his perception that the Flames "had the best D on paper in the North Division," but weren't getting results. He had even proclaimed the Hanifin - Tanev pair the "best in the league" to that point in the season (seriously). I was laughing that this continues to be the annual narrative out of Calgary, but they still get confused when the performance doesn't match their dumb expectations.

Gio (37 years old, skating declining) - Andersson (1st/second pair tweener)
Hanifin (sucks in second pair role) - Tanev (good 2/3 d man)
Valimaki (sucks) - Nesterov (sucks)
Kylington (sucks) - Stone (sucks)

Not sure how anyone can possibly look at that group and think they equal, let alone better than Montreal, Toronto, Edmonton, even Winnipeg and Vancouver. Only group they're hands down better than are the Senators, but even they have an ace (Chabot) that the Flames can't match.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Flames fans getting triggered in the Calgary dysfunction thread on the mains. You love to see it.

Seems like a lot of Oilers fans posting in that thread. I think a better look would be the Oilers fans adopting the Nurse-Marzipan interaction. Nurse totally ignoring him like the non entity that doesn't even matter. Perfectly captured by our artistically eloquent @Wen22
game-20-extra-jpg.398856

Just take the two points, know that the Flames don't even matter, aren't even relevant. Nurse: "Go home little Marzipan kid before you get hurt..;) Not by me, I'm not even going to waste my knuckles on you"

Last edited:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Seems like a lot of Oilers fans posting in that thread. I think a better look would be the Oilers fans adopting the Nurse-Marzipan interaction. Nurse totally ignoring him like the non entity that doesn't even matter. Perfectly captured by our artistically eloquent @Wen22

Just take the two points, know that the Flames don't even matter, aren't even relevant. Nurse: "Go home little Marzipan kid before you get hurt..;) Not by me, I'm not even going to waste my knuckles on you"

Not everyone is as chivalrous as you. :sarcasm:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Not everyone is as chivalrous as you. :sarcasm:

I did spit coffee at that one. I think more the case I pick my focal points of frustration better. Trailing off this board for too long is seldom any good for much of anything. I mean some quick schadenfreude and out of there. I hate getting sucked into the worst vortexes of "conversation" out there.

"Yeah butz the Oilers suckeds worst"

I think I learned around 10yrs ago, maybe earlier, that fans of different teams trying to talk about hockey is worse than trying to talk about religion. It seldom goes well and shit escalates quick!

nah, not playing. ;)

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I did spit coffee at that one. I think more the case I pick my focal points of frustration better. Trailing off this board for too long is seldom any good for much of anything. I mean some quick schadenfreude and out of there. I hate getting sucked into the worst vortexes of "conversation" out there.

"Yeah butz the Oilers suckeds worst"

I think I learned around 10yrs ago, maybe earlier, that fans of different teams trying to talk about hockey is worse than trying to talk about religion. It seldom goes well and shit escalates quick!

nah, not playing. ;)

Let us have our fun, (grand)dad. ;)

Konami McDavid

May 1, 2015
Edmonton
Is it just me, or was McD staring at Tanev the whole time on that glorious no look goal. I have watched many angles, and to me he doesn't look like he is staring at Nuge. To me he looks like is is staring directly into Tanev's soul like "I will take this from you now".

Glorious regardless.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Just to clarify no conflict before, no dislike, just that there is no point in dialog with somebody that is not engaging in clear discussion. Thats no slight, the person seemed to be heated, and its harder to have rational dialog with somebody predisposed to that.

I certainly take no hard feelings from it, and hope others don't. Its a discussion board. you get to know some people a bit more, others you don't and never the twain shall meet. People know whether or not they connect with this poster or that. Thats natural.
Well said!!! Completely agreed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad