Post-Game Talk: Matthews with a 4pt night and the Oiler win 7-1

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Here's the "legal" hit, no penalty, on Yamamoto...

u7VdsOI.gif

The Oilers haven’t called up any forwards yet so I guess that’s a good sign ?

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Taking two from the Flamers made for a glorious weekend including an embarrassment enhanced ever more by Tkachuk's turtle pre-game bravado speech which was as effective as a wet popcorn fart in rallying the troops behind him. That Flamers team has trouble and it is joyful to see. They played to the edge last night and were scorched by the best player in the world and lethal PP that responded to each dubious cheap shot administered. This league has been moving to become a no hit finesse game aided and abetted by ticky tack penalty calls. Unfortunately this is also a league that doesn't protect its stars so the Oil go down two players - thank gawd we didn't see any significantly dirty shit with McDavid or Draisaitl.

I hope this results in a death spiral this year for the Flamers team. However I am pragmatic that these goofs will right the ship and continue to be a thorn in the side of the Oilers. It's in their nature and they have been ingrained to compete and battle hard against their arch enemy... better so frankly than the Oil who have been roadkill for a long while. It is this history that leaves me celebrating today but wary of many more grinding, borderline games to come in this unusual season. The cheap stuff will continue and the current Oil roster is better built to win on the scoresheet not in the alleys or streetfight.

On another note, I lived in downtown Cowtown for 20 years as a very visible Oilers and Roughriders fan(atic?). Never once was I ever physically threatened. Lots of good fun ribbing and some caustic exchanges which maybe had some potential to go pear shape. Seems strange to me to read about some of the situations others experienced there.

Reactions: harpoon

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
One question I had from last night:

I thought you only get a penalty if your challenge fails on an offside call? I didn't know you got a penalty for a failed goaltender interference call. Is that new?

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Hmmmm nope

My friend was die hard flames fan and then moved to Edmonton years ago for a job and started watching oil game and now likes both teams. He’s pretty die hard.

I think we have different definitions of die hard. In my definition it would be impossible to cheer for both teams. Diehards live and breathe with one main team, and would never cheer for their most hated rival. Secondary teams are allowed, but way down the list. BUT NEVER THE FLAMES. ;)

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
I think we have different definitions of die hard. In my definition it would be impossible to cheer for both teams. Diehards live and breathe with one main team, and would never cheer for their most hated rival. Secondary teams are allowed, but way down the list. BUT NEVER THE FLAMES. ;)
Haha fair enough. He’s pretty passionate about both, like I am with Oil and Sens. But I get your point

None the less, I shall eat some pulled pork, and watch the Flyers Bruins game shortly.

Reactions: bellagiobob

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
So so lucky to have won the McLottery my god.

Imagine if we had Hanafin instead of McDavid - we'd be on the other side of that play last night. :oops:

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
One question I had from last night:

I thought you only get a penalty if your challenge fails on an offside call? I didn't know you got a penalty for a failed goaltender interference call. Is that new?
I also have this question.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Taking two from the Flamers made for a glorious weekend including an embarrassment enhanced ever more by Tkachuk's turtle pre-game bravado speech which was as effective as a wet popcorn fart in rallying the troops behind him. That Flamers team has trouble and it is joyful to see. They played to the edge last night and were scorched by the best player in the world and lethal PP that responded to each dubious cheap shot administered. This league has been moving to become a no hit finesse game aided and abetted by ticky tack penalty calls. Unfortunately this is also a league that doesn't protect its stars so the Oil go down two players - thank gawd we didn't see any significantly dirty shit with McDavid or Draisaitl.

I hope this results in a death spiral this year for the Flamers team. However I am pragmatic that these goofs will right the ship and continue to be a thorn in the side of the Oilers. It's in their nature and they have been ingrained to compete and battle hard against their arch enemy... better so frankly than the Oil who have been roadkill for a long while. It is this history that leaves me celebrating today but wary of many more grinding, borderline games to come in this unusual season. The cheap stuff will continue and the current Oil roster is better built to win on the scoresheet not in the alleys or streetfight.

On another note, I lived in downtown Cowtown for 20 years as a very visible Oilers and Roughriders fan(atic?). Never once was I ever physically threatened. Lots of good fun ribbing and some caustic exchanges which maybe had some potential to go pear shape. Seems strange to me to read about some of the situations others experienced there.
NEVER underestimate a wet popcorn fart. It has the ability to clear out an entire baseball dugout. Heard it from a friend.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Here's the "legal" hit, no penalty, on Yamamoto...

u7VdsOI.gif
Like wrestling shit out there. What other club mugs in stereo like the Flames. 2 or more on one is their thing and always has been. Even back in the day they would pay the refs so that they'd be holding our guys while letting Flames punch players in the face. Never seems to change. 3 blind mice Didn't spot this alley mugging despite an injured player that didn't get up, despite video review capability etc.

2 Cowards looking for the smallest player on the ice to mug. A flames moral victory right there.

But the Oilers as an org should be filing to league office for crap like this. Would also make the NHL answer to it more, and one way to do that is highlighting concerns even before the game starts. Somebody in the org should have been in touch with the league, maybe they were, (I doubt it) before the game was even played because this was almost another Brad May bounty type situation here. 2 Oilers players injured, no fault of the Oilers, NHL won't do a thing about it.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Ugh, it’s hard. We usually only play twice a year. Whenever needs it more. This year Edmonton. Sens have no shot

if both make the cup........ I don’t know. That would be brutal for me. It really would.
Walk the plank, matey.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Like wrestling shit out there. What other club mugs in stereo like the Flames. 2 or more on one is their thing and always has been. Even back in the day they would pay the refs so that they'd be holding our guys while letting Flames punch players in the face. Never seems to change. 3 blind mice Didn't spot this alley mugging despite an injured player that didn't get up, despite video review capability etc.

2 Cowards looking for the smallest player on the ice to mug. A flames moral victory right there.

But the Oilers as an org should be filing to league office for crap like this. Would also make the NHL answer to it more, and one way to do that is highlighting concerns even before the game starts. Somebody in the org should have been in touch with the league, maybe they were, (I doubt it) before the game was even played because this was almost another Brad May bounty type situation here. 2 Oilers players injured, no fault of the Oilers, NHL won't do a thing about it.
Parros will suspend Yamo (after he recovers and is fit to play of course) for throwing a chin at one of the Flamers when he went down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad