Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Messier

Votes: 141 92.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
Matthews obviously has a long way to go career wise, but he's getting there. He's clearly an all-time great talent and will win the Hart Trophy over a prime McDavid this year.

Reactions: Regal

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Matthews isn't even good enough to eat one of Messier's elbows.... although if they played at the same time Mess would gladly introduce him to it

Reactions: pikkuvaimo

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Until Matthews guarantees a victory in a do or die game and then being down 2-1 going into the 3rd and then scores a natural hat-trick to win that game and go on to win the Cup.....it will always be Moose! ;)

But I am naturally biased......even though the above happened in NY. :D

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
Obviously Messier is the "greater" player with an incredible career, but if we are talking who is "better" at their peak Matthews probably has a decent argument, especially since he is likely going to full peak over the next 2-3 years

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Soo, the consensus is that Messier>McDavid?

Probably still.

McDavid's all time ranking is like 3 tiers above Matthews though. You're comparing 4 Art Rosses, 3 Lindsays, and 2 Harts with potentially 1 Hart and Lindsay. It's not even remotely close.

Messier has an insane playoff resume. It'll always be an issue for guys like McDavid or Messier to overcome without a Cup.

Reactions: pikkuvaimo

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
This isn't a fair poll to Matthews....Messier is an all-timer who played a long, full career. Silly stuff, has to be a troll attempt.

Apr 27, 2016
WTF is this again. Next is AM vs 99? Stop this trolling bullsh*t. And after this, Leafs fans ask why noone likes them? My god

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Messier by a longshot. Matthews can surpass him, but he's got a long ways to go.
Ya this is true! Messier was a much more complete player and incredible leader. Also former league MVP ! Matthews can for sure become this though I believe that he's more than likely heading down the road of being the next Alex Ovechkin. What do you think? Does that seem accurate?

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Obviously Messier is the "greater" player with an incredible career, but if we are talking who is "better" at their peak Matthews probably has a decent argument, especially since he is likely going to full peak over the next 2-3 years

In Messier's peak season in 89-90, he was 2nd in league scoring behind Gretzky then led his team to a Cup.

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
One of these players is 3rd all time in points. The other is.... 600th...

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Auston Matthews is the better player. A generational goal scorer. Leadership and intangibles aside.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
I've always found Mark Messier is one of the least talented greatest players ever.

Ask me to rank "greatest players of all-time" and he probably ranks around 20th or so.
Ask me to rank most skilled/talented players of all-time - and he's probably closer to 100th.

This actually isn't meant to be an insult, but a compliment. I've always found what he accomplished is really great, because he did it while having nowhere near the skills of Gretzky, Lemieux or others closer to his rank like Jagr, Esposito, etc.

So if the question was who is more skilled/talented - not so sure you couldn't rationalize an answer of Matthews.
Will Matthews ever come close to matching Messier's career? Well no, that's where I'd agree with your answer.

It's a 100% valid opinion. I would say Crosby is his closest modern equivalent. Not that Crosby isn't talented but I would argue Crosby's drive and willpower have had as much to do with his success as his natural talent.

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
Come on people, this poll isn’t even fair. Awe-ston scored almost as many goals this year alone as Messier had career points in 400 some games.

Wait, this poll is about Eric Messier, right? Right? :oops:

FeartheSpill

May 5, 2022
Matthews is better right now than Messier ever was.
Your kidding me right ? Lol prime Messier would drop 129 points in the regular season then top it off by dropping 30 plus in the playoffs and would guarantee and drag his team to a cup. He won 6 cups, blast Matthews Physically and outskate him to the ground.

Matthews is not at Messiers level. Stop embarrassing yourself bro.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Your kidding me right ? Lol prime Messier would drop 129 points in the regular season then top it off by dropping 30 plus in the playoffs and would guarantee and drag his team to a cup. He won 6 cups, blast Matthews Physically and outskate him to the ground.

Matthews is not at Messiers level. Stop embarrassing yourself bro.
129 points in 1989-90 is like 107 in today's NHL. Matthews has already peaked higher as a player

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Regular season Messier is definitely approachable. He had 3 top 5 Hart seasons. Matthews just completed his second. It's playoffs that really separates it.

Being a top 3 player on 6 Cups is massive. Being a top 5 player on 3 more teams to make the conference finals or beyond is another layer.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
I feel a twinge of sympathy for logic based Leafs fans being constantly undermined by the unwashed masses of their fanbase.

Going to feel another pang when they’re down 2-1 after tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad