Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Messier

Votes: 141 92.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Matthews is as talented maybe more, but not even close to the 6 cups (2 without gretz to), a couple of conn smythes and really great longevity as a power forward center in the 80’s and 90’s where headshots and hook and holding were rampid. This is just too early of a poll, needs to be revisited 10 years from now.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Seriously? If Messier was playing against Matthews then Auston probably wouldnt live long enough to score a goal. Not even the most homery homer could vote for Matthews in this

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Messier so far obviously, but Matthews could potentially surpass him - needs more playoff success though

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Matthews is as talented maybe more, but not even close to the 6 cups (2 without gretz to), a couple of conn smythes and really great longevity as a power forward center in the 80’s and 90’s where headshots and hook and holding were rampid. This is just too early of a poll, needs to be revisited 10 years from now.
All correct except for the Conn Smythe. Mess only won it once.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
Well this thread wont be around much longer. One of the easiest poll questions to answer ive seen in a while.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Messier is one of my all-time most disliked players. He's a scumbag and should just vanish. However, he was a significantly greater player than Matthews so far. There's probably a tiny chance Matthews surpasses Messier, but most likely he will not.

Reactions: pikkuvaimo

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Mark Messier by about 100x.

He's a consensus top 15 centre all time. 6 Cups. Conn Smythe. 2 Hart Trophies. 5x end of year All Star. Arguably top 10 playoff performer all time.

Matthews has 0 cups, Smythes. Might win his first Hart this year. Will be his second end of year All Star nod.

Messier by a very wide margin.

I've always found Mark Messier is one of the least talented greatest players ever.

Ask me to rank "greatest players of all-time" and he probably ranks around 20th or so.
Ask me to rank most skilled/talented players of all-time - and he's probably closer to 100th.

This actually isn't meant to be an insult, but a compliment. I've always found what he accomplished is really great, because he did it while having nowhere near the skills of Gretzky, Lemieux or others closer to his rank like Jagr, Esposito, etc.

So if the question was who is more skilled/talented - not so sure you couldn't rationalize an answer of Matthews.
Will Matthews ever come close to matching Messier's career? Well no, that's where I'd agree with your answer.

Reactions: MrazeksVengeance

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I mean you're obviously not going to get anyone claiming Matthews' is better when he's not even 25 and doesn't have playoff success under his belt yet. This thread would be a lot better in about a decade, especially if Matthews wins a cup or two and Smythe.

Reactions: abo9

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Mark Messier by about 100x.

He's a consensus top 15 centre all time. 6 Cups. Conn Smythe. 2 Hart Trophies. 5x end of year All Star. Arguably top 10 playoff performer all time.

Matthews has 0 cups, Smythes. Might win his first Hart this year. Will be his second end of year All Star nod.

Messier by a very wide margin.

Sure what you say is true but at the same age and points in their career this is AM all the way even with Moose having a Conn Smythe don't you think?

Matthews has a very tough road to try to catch Brett Hull, let alone Mark Messier!

If you stop and think about it he really doesn't have a tough time catching Brett Hull given his age.

DRW895

Dec 29, 2021
Matthews is nothing even in comparassion with Gilmour. How can we compare him with Messier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad