Matthews vs Marner

Which player will be better going forward?

• Total voters

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
Who will be better going forward?
Matthews is absolutely elite and a PPG player. However, Marner has blown me away over the last few months. Two amazing players. Who has the higher ceiling?

PaulaMesser

Apr 18, 2018
^^ Matthews
http://:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:/buluhidung/46/g.png
http://:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:/buluhidung/46/image.png

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
I think Matthews as well-insane goal scorer. But Marner’s playmaking ability is off the charts. I wouldn’t be surprised if Marner has more PPG, while Matthews has more GPG going forward.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Matthews. If marner ends up being better and Matthews hits his expected peak, that would be fantastic for the leafs.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Matthews has 90-100 point potential while being elite defensively. Marner similar offensive potential (although, more assist heavy) and slightly worse defensively. You still take Matthews, but Marner is elite in his own right. Just need to see if Babcock will actually just realize the obscene offensive talent he has on this team and give them non-scrubs to play with instead of sand bagging them for months.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Marner!!

Matthews is good, but will end up more of a Sundin-like player........good for 35 goals a year and 70-80 points.

Marner will end up a level higher than that, I'm betting. He has all the tools in a child's body right now. Once he grows up and fills out, LOOK OUT.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Id take Marner. Guy beasted in the playoffs even tho his teammates kinda gave up. Matthews a great regular season guy i guess but DISAPPEARS in the playoffs. Marner AINEC

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Marner would have to absolutely demolish Matthews production to be the better player - position, goal scoring, play driving will set Matthews apart imo. Matthews at around 85-90pts as an average in a healthy year through his prime seems like a good estimate based on the progression this year, not sure how much Marner can be counted on to beat that by

kane v toews
probably poor man's Kane vs rich man's Toews, the symmetry of that comparison is nice but I don't think it well represents the reality with these two

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Marner has the tolerance to take more abuse, or so it seems in the playoffs. Matthews may still have lingering health issues, but played a little precious which neutralized a lot of his effectiveness in a physical series.

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
Id take Marner. Guy beasted in the playoffs even tho his teammates kinda gave up. Matthews a great regular season guy i guess but DISAPPEARS in the playoffs. Marner AINEC

Such childish garbage. 4G in 6 games last year. Had poor luck this year, and matched against the best defensive forward of what, a decade?
Even going against him (and Chara) Toronto out-chanced Boston while he was on the ice, and he won 55% of his face offs.

A disappointing series? Yep
DISAPPEARED? Nope

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Something I never thought I would have to say is this is actually close. Marner has raised his level significantly, and even without Matthews recent performance I view them as close. I would still go Matthews however.

Leafs Big 3 became a Big 2 this year. Both are significantly better than Nylander.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Of course it is Matthews. I think people get a little carried away based on one playoff series. One guy can be hot, one can be cold and it is short period of time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad