Matthews Vs Kaapo Kakko Vs Laine Vs Marner at 18 years old?

Vote for the best player at the age of 18

• Total voters

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Think I'll need to have Kakko #1 and Matthews #2 actually. Matthews never showed what Kakko has at worlds.
At the 2016 World Championships in 10 games played Matthews had 6 goals and 3 assists for 9 points. I say that's very good considering that historically the USA has not had the best players on their teams at that event, where as Finland has had better teams.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
The guy who is the best player of the group now: Mitch Marner.
No, that's not how you spell Austin Matthews. That's how you spell Mitch Marner.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I don't see how Laine and Marner can even be options here.
Laine was in contention for his shot alone, its that elite, Matthews is well Matthews. This Kakko kid looks like a gamer but hold up. Its a different yr. Laine and Matthews were better players than Huges and Kakko.
Also Marner could be the best of the bunch.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
At the 2016 World Championships in 10 games played Matthews had 6 goals and 3 assists for 9 points. I say that's very good considering that historically the USA has not had the best players on their teams at that event, where as Finland has had better teams.
USA usually always has a better team than Finland so no that’s not correct. They have more to pick from.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Every year this happens. The prospects look shinier than ever and people start taking them over established NHlers only a few years older.

At one point on this forum, Pulj was a can't miss guy that no one would trade for anyone over 23.

Matthews scored 40 goals as a rookie center with two rookie linemates. That has never been done before and likely won't be done again for some time.

Let's pump the breaks here.

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
ya, feels that way. With what we know now about Laine, I think Kakko could definitely be a better player, but there was lots of "future multiple Richard trophy" buzz about Laine when he was that age
Yeah that Laine guy is definitely a write off. The kid is ALREADY 21 and has only hit 110 goals so far. Will never win the Rocket!!

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Every year this happens. The prospects look shinier than ever and people start taking them over established NHlers only a few years older.

At one point on this forum, Pulj was a can't miss guy that no one would trade for anyone over 23.

Matthews scored 40 goals as a rookie center with two rookie linemates. That has never been done before and likely won't be done again for some time.

Let's pump the breaks here.
Remember this thread asking if Puljuravi will have a breakout season because he scored 2 goals, 1 assist and was named 1st star in a preseason game.

Jesse Puljujarvi Possible Breakout Season.

Reactions: Kamiccolo

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I didn't even have to click the link to know that thread and the well known poster who created it.
What makes that look pathetic is how Leafs fans have been bashed on here for similar thinking when it comes to our prospects. Although I can not remember any Leafs fans who made similar threads about Matthews when he scored in the preseason against Montreal prior to his rookie season.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
What makes that look pathetic is how Leafs fans have been bashed on here for similar thinking when it comes to our prospects. Although I can not remember any Leafs fans who made similar threads about Matthews when he scored in the preseason against Montreal prior to his rookie season.

We've both been here long enough that we both should be used to it but are still shocked at the mental gymnastics people can do to avoid seeing the double standard.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
We've both been here long enough that we both should be used to it but are still shocked at the mental gymnastics people can do to avoid seeing the double standard.
You are correct that Leafs players and fans are held to a double standard compared to other teams and their fans.

When Vegas blew their 3 goal lead in Game 7 I thought great it's not just the Leafs who have now done that. Nope they are given a pass because of the 5:00 penalty they were given and that's the excuse for the goals they allowed.

Anyway let's get back on topic of the poll.

Reactions: Kamiccolo

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017

:nopity:
Will Auston Matthews lead the NHL in points consistently in the next few years?

The Auston Matthews Thread Pt. 2

I remember when the Matthew's Mcadavid comparisons were off the charts, talked about everywhere.

Might not be preseason, but every team hypes their prospects. Also, is TWS even an Oiler fan?...

Saekk

Jul 25, 2017

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
:nopity:
Will Auston Matthews lead the NHL in points consistently in the next few years?

The Auston Matthews Thread Pt. 2

I remember when the Matthew's Mcadavid comparisons were off the charts, talked about everywhere.

Might not be preseason, but every team hypes their prospects. Also, is TWS even an Oiler fan?...
Both those topics were not even created on the Leafs board. Also in the second one thread the first post was about an assist Matthews had. Last time I checked plays like that usually get a thread on the main boards.

TWS is only a fan of those teams if he thinks the Leafs robbed a team of a player, (Tavares leaving the Islanders) when the Leafs trade their prospects (All of the sudden he's hyping up Grundstrom and Druzi who they traded for Muzzin) and in this case of Puljuravi, that thread was to show how he would become a better player than Matthews since they were in the same draft.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Both those topics were not even created on the Leafs board. Also in the second one thread the first post was about an assist Matthews had. Last time I checked plays like that usually get a thread on the main boards.

TWS is only a fan of those teams if he thinks the Leafs robbed a team of a player, (Tavares leaving the Islanders) when the Leafs trade their prospects (All of the sudden he's hyping up Grundstrom and Druzi who they traded for Muzzin) and in this case of Puljuravi, that thread was to show how he would become a better player than Matthews since they were in the same draft.

No they were created on the main boards by two leaf fans. Yes and ten posts down the assist thread there is a Leaf fan posting charts trying to compare AM with CM. TWS is a known leaf hater.

All fanbases are bashed for over hyping their prospects or teams, it's not something only Leaf fans have to deal with.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
All fanbases are bashed for over hyping their prospects or teams, it's not something only Leaf fans have to deal with.
I just don't recall any Leafs fans starting threads on the main board about their prospects based on 1 preseason game the way TWS did about Puljuravi. Before Auston Matthews played his rookie season I remember he scored a goal in the preseason against Carey Price and no one said he would become the greatest 1st overall pick because of that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad