Matthews Vs Kaapo Kakko Vs Laine Vs Marner at 18 years old?

Vote for the best player at the age of 18

• Total voters

yzerman

Apr 23, 2017
Sweden
Kaapo Kakko is 18 right now and if you compare him with the others at the age of 18 which player is the best one?

Note that Multiple votes are allowed to see what order we get.

Last edited:

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Matthews for me, I'm surprised that Kakko is being Laine, his buzz doesn't feel nearly what Laine's was. He'll probably be a lot more complete player but the hype seems smaller

ThatsSoSlavin

Aug 23, 2018
Kakko outscored laine in less games in Liiga so I’m not surprised he’s beating him,

I will agree there is less hype around him then there was laine and for what reason I’m not sure I understand haha

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
ya, feels that way. With what we know now about Laine, I think Kakko could definitely be a better player, but there was lots of "future multiple Richard trophy" buzz about Laine when he was that age

It's easier with Laine to look back and see that the concerns haven't changed for better.

Kakko beat Laine in both goal scoring/points on the regular season and is way more versatile player/threat, he just dominates like Laine didn't.
Laine "dominated" more with his shot where as Kakko with his game.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
It's easier with Laine to look back and see that the concerns haven't changed for better.

Kakko beat Laine in both goal scoring/points on the regular season and is way more versatile player/threat, he just dominates like Laine didn't.
Laine "dominated" more with his shot where as Kakko with his game.
ya you can see the production and the more complete game, just feels like less hype to me. Without the benefit of hindsight I think we would expect Laine to go first in the same draft, but for sure there was projection involved with Laine's tools at that point

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
ya you can see the production and the more complete game, just feels like less hype to me. Without the benefit of hindsight I think we would expect Laine to go first in the same draft, but for sure there was projection involved with Laine's tools at that point
Laine's tools are so delicious to ignore them would be ignorant. His raw skill, shot, vision reach is too sexy. But Kakko just looks like hockey player when you watch him. Big skilled, heavy, versitile, you just know his game translates to a very good player. Rantanen makes people like Kakko to an extent, because he is better at this age and similar in style.

Reactions: Randy Randerson

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
Matthews for me, I'm surprised that Kakko is being Laine, his buzz doesn't feel nearly what Laine's was. He'll probably be a lot more complete player but the hype seems smaller
Kakko is a more well rounded prospect than Laine entering the draft, not to mention Kakko beat him from a production standpoint IIRC. Honestly, Kakko is a 1st overall quality pick in several draft years.

PeterForsberg

Aug 4, 2012
Kakko will score 70+ next season calling it. Salty that the Avs didn't have a chance to scoop him.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Hype shouldn't mean much in this, and since Laine draft we've seen Finland actually be able to produce multiple high end players which on it's own will kill some of the hype.
At that time it was still only Barkov, and kids with potential.

Now it's Barkov, Rantanen, Laine, Aho, Heiskanen.......

Kakko just doesn't have a major weakness to his game and can dominate games in his own better.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015

Laine had a bad year (still a better year than most 20yo's and great during playoffs) so suddenly he was never a good prospect.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
ya, feels that way. With what we know now about Laine, I think Kakko could definitely be a better player, but there was lots of "future multiple Richard trophy" buzz about Laine when he was that age

So you're admitting you're falling for recency bias.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Laine had a bad year (still a better year than most 20yo's and great during playoffs) so suddenly he was never a good prospect.
Laine had some significant issues, but he(in 2016) probably is underrated as a prospect right now. His concussion probably derailed him somewhat. He was looking truly fantastic during the games before the concussion.

I still think Kakko's superior as a prospect, though. Far superior production on a dysfunctional team, especially towards the end of the season. Also superior playoffs, as short as they were for TPS. And his weaknesses aren't as glaring, while he has attributes more traditionally sought after in NHL.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Kakko will score 70+ next season calling it. Salty that the Avs didn't have a chance to scoop him.
On the Rangers I wouldn’t be so sure of that. Our only offense is Zibanejad. I’d say around 50 points

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Hype shouldn't mean much in this, and since Laine draft we've seen Finland actually be able to produce multiple high end players which on it's own will kill some of the hype.
At that time it was still only Barkov, and kids with potential.

Now it's Barkov, Rantanen, Laine, Aho, Heiskanen.......

Kakko just doesn't have a major weakness to his game and can dominate games in his own better.
Assuming that both Hughes and Kakko live up to their hype and are both in contention for the Calder, I wonder if that will become version 2.0 like we saw with Matthews or Laine during their rookie seasons. One similarity is one is American and the other one if from Finland. The only difference is unlike the Leafs and Jets fans, we know the Rangers and Devils fans have a rivalry with each other.

Reactions: Hischier and Hughes

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Think I'll need to have Kakko #1 and Matthews #2 actually. Matthews never showed what Kakko has at worlds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad