Matthews vs Jones

Who is worth more?

• Total voters

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Anyone saying 'easily' is a homer.
This is really close, and it depends on what you project out of Matthews, because if he's a finished or near finished project it's Jones. You can literally hire two Jones' and have some extra cap for another player for one Matthews as well.

Dunno. Would love to have either of them on my team.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Matthews, and I don't have to think very hard about it.
In his third year, Jones was traded one-for-one with Ryan Johansen. This year would be Matthews third season, who in the league has similar value to him as a defenseman that is under 26? Dahlin? He's still a work in progress, albeit as close to a sure thing as a defenseman could be I suppose. There were plenty of players around the league that held Johansen's value or higher, and didn't have difficulties with contract negotiations.
This is incredibly bad reasoning - that trade was years ago, and Jones has evolved considerably as a player since. By this logic, Joe Thornton isn't particularly special because he was traded for three scrubs.

Between the two, I'd give the advantage to Jones right now because 1) contract and 2) he's got a developmental head start. (There is arguably more valuable in having someone who's elite now as opposed to In The Near Future, Probably). In a few years, tho, I wouldn't be surprised if Matthews pulls up level or even overtakes him.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Jones for me as he's a clear number 1 Dman which is hardest position to fill. Mathews is great but until he actually becomes a better play maker he's not worthy of consideration over a clear number 1 Dman. Mathews scores goals but needs to start setting them up to.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Without contracts, its very close, but I would still lean Jones.
You're comparing a current top 10 dman, with potential to be top 5 against a top 15 center, with potential to be top 5.
It's a lot of opinion on the value of position.

But if contracts are included I'm quite easily taking Jones

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
This is incredibly bad reasoning - that trade was years ago, and Jones has evolved considerably as a player since. By this logic, Joe Thornton isn't particularly special because he was traded for three scrubs.

Between the two, I'd give the advantage to Jones right now because 1) contract and 2) he's got a developmental head start. (There is arguably more valuable in having someone who's elite now as opposed to In The Near Future, Probably). In a few years, tho, I wouldn't be surprised if Matthews pulls up level or even overtakes him.

I didn't even read the title I guess. I was thinking along the lines of who would you rather draft given the choice, and I would simply take the center who develops early on as opposed to the Dman who takes longer, but still has a top 10 ceiling. I'd still probably value Matthews slightly higher today, but Jones is worth quite a haul himself. It's just tough to pass up on a guy who can compete for the Rocket for years to come and has youth on his side while Jones is UFA in 3 more seasons to Matthews 5.

su24

Sep 30, 2017
Let's see. #1 defenseman who can play 38 minutes per game (he just did it), who is more than twice cheaper... And looking at their PO stats this year:
Jones 6 games, 8 points +3
Matthews 7 games, 6 points, -3
And Jones scores 2 points per game against Boston. He's outproducing Matthews even offensively.
Easy choice here.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I didn't even read the title I guess. I was thinking along the lines of who would you rather draft given the choice, and I would simply take the center who develops early on as opposed to the Dman who takes longer, but still has a top 10 ceiling.
Hm. To be fair, if that's the question, I'd probably also pick Matthews.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Let's see. #1 defenseman who can play 38 minutes per game (he just did it), who is more than twice cheaper... And looking at their PO stats this year:
Jones 6 games, 8 points +3
Matthews 7 games, 6 points, -3
And Jones scores 2 points per game against Boston. He's outproducing Matthews even offensively.
Easy choice here.
I agree it's Jones, but the bolded doesn't make any sense. He played 38 minutes in a game (that went to double OT). He can not play 38 minutes per game.

Reactions: Voight

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Matthews when hes on can basically score at will but hes pretty streaky and when he isnt scoring hes really not doing much. I think Jones is a top 6 or so dman in the league. Hes young and isnt perfect either. However, I think their impacts on a game are pretty close to each others and a number one D is harder to find. Even if you want to give Matthews an edge over Jones, the difference in contracts makes Jones a way more valuable asset. I would rather build a team around that stud dman.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
People are saying AINEC. lol

It's pretty close. I'm going with Jones due to the contract.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
This is Jones and it isn't even close.

Plays almost 30 minutes a game mainly against top lines on a team who swept Tampa, meanwhile Matthews didn't even play against top lines in the Boston series and still did next to nothing in games 6 & 7.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Why are people saying Jones because of position? An elite goal scoring center is just as rare as a #1 D lol. He's 2nd in the NHL in goals per game since entering the league.. and doesn't play as much as most other elite scorers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad