Proposal: Matthews [TOR] for Laine + Trouba [WIN]

Status
Not open for further replies.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Yeah, Jet's getting a bit hosed here. The difference between Matthews and Laine if there is even any is not Trouba.

Quiksilver*

I'm always right.
Sep 1, 2003
If Toronto was really trying to move Matthews I think they would be better off approaching Arizona. He would have maximum value there. Maybe Arizona puts a package together including OEL ,Domi ?

Arizona tried (they stated as much). Toronto said they were not moving Matthews for anything. Thus, they failed.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Yeah, Jet's getting a bit hosed here. The difference between Matthews and Laine if there is even any is not Trouba.

There is definitely a difference between Laine and Matthews, and fairly decent sized one, but to your point, the add-in is no where near a player of Trouba's caliber

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
If the Leafs wanted Laine, they'd have just drafted him at #1. They wanted the franchise #1 C instead.

No to anything Winnipeg gives up.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
There is definitely a difference between Laine and Matthews, and fairly decent sized one, but to your point, the add-in is no where near a player of Trouba's caliber

I would agree if this was a trade in a vacuum with team needs not considered. Problem is, the Leafs would be trading exactly what they need for something that, although very nice to have, is not exactly what they need.

Same for the Jets.

Finnflash

May 19, 2016
Winnipeg
I don't speak for all jets fans but in my opinion:

1. I value Trouba a lot

I watched 78 jets games this past year and 5 leaf games. Out of those 5 leaf games I didn't like Riely in two games. In three I thought he played great. In the 78 jets games I can say that I liked Trouba game in the majority that he played. But I know to make a fair comparison I would need to watch lot more leaf games. So I won't pretend to say Trouba is better than Riely because I didn't see enough of Riely. So for now I'll keep it safe by saying I'd rather have Trouba.

2. Mathews vs Laine is ridiculous

I watched the same amount of games for each player I can honestly say I think Mathews is a higher valued player I don't think I would pay more than even if it was a Mathews/Laine swap. Other teams might value Mathews more but I don't feel we need a lot more depth at centre. If we didn't have shief and little I might take a look at the op's proposal. But the fact is I don't think we need to with our depth.

Bottom line for me is player value has everything to do with the whole team picture and not just how good that player is (or might be)

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Obv stupid proposal but to even the value out

Laine
Trouba

for

Rielly
Matthews

That is proper value

No its not

Rielly is a stud offensive dman. Depending on your need you could argue Rielly>Trouba

Matthews over Laine 8 days a week

Make it:

Gardiner/Matthews

for

Trouba/Laine

and THAT is close to fair value. Both Trouba and Gardiner are 2nd pair dmen, albeit different styles, but Trouba>Gardiner and Matthews > Laine but neither matchup is over the other in a huge margin. I think they weigh out pretty close to even

Fishy

May 14, 2016
Winterpeg
I read literally a thousand and more posts on the Laine thread before the draft with LeafNation vs Finns on who was better between AM and PL. please stop, I am begging you.

Besides
  • Jets need D depth
  • Jets just locked up their franchise C

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
I would agree if this was a trade in a vacuum with team needs not considered. Problem is, the Leafs would be trading exactly what they need for something that, although very nice to have, is not exactly what they need.

This is exactly why a trade like this would never happen. Along with 95% of the trade proposals on HFboards...

DraberlyakMcHallkins*

You're right, this is HFBoards, not NHL16.

no you're totally right. One is a simulation and one is where we throw **** against the wall and hope it sticks, different stratospheres. We can't take NHL16 too seriously around hfboards of all places

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
If Chevaldayoff offered this Toronto would be stupid not to accept. The difference between Matthews and Laine clearly isn't Trouba....

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Please tell me what you think Trouba will sign for. Any "insider" has claimed the number to be astronomical.

Nobody is signing a sweetheart deal to stay in Winnipeg. Most of all, Trouba.

Care to make a wager? I'll take 6/year, you take 4. Closest wins.

I'll gladly take 6 a year if it's a 7 or 8 year deal. Proclaiming he's "holding out" when we signed Scheifele just over a week ago is a pathetic statement. Was Scheifele holding out? Is Monahan holding out? Is Gaudreau? Lindholm?

You know nothing.

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
No its not

Rielly is a stud offensive dman. Depending on your need you could argue Rielly>Trouba

Make it:

Gardiner/Matthews

for

Trouba/Laine

and THAT is close to fair value. Both Trouba and Gardiner are 2nd pair dmen, albeit different styles, but Trouba>Gardiner and Matthews > Laine but neither matchup is over the other in a huge margin. I think they weigh out pretty close to even

Some kind of a joke? Gardener ? Let me take a guess...you live in Toronto ...

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Proposal makes no sense and neither team does it. It doesn't even matter that in vacuum the value is off. But Leafs are not trading away potential franchise C for anything else than a better franchise C. Jets are not willing to trade their potential star winger and potential 1st pairing D.

This thread is just made to rustle up some jimmies. Cause the proposition makes no sense.

Avsblitzkrieg

May 1, 2016
Westminster
I think they do too but they would also need a separate trade to get a #1 centre to minimize any fan backlash.

If the Leafs could acquire Duchene this offseason as well, preferably back to back they would close the first trade FO SHUR
You aren't gonna like the price of Duchene

IMO neither team should do this

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
No its not

If Reilly is so much better than Trouba, why do people keep insisting Trouba will get over $6,000,000 AAV contract, when Reilly settled for $5.0 million?

lol.

I'm not sure who is the better player at this point, but judging by the way Laine played in the WHC, it's definitely close.

Make it:

Gardiner/Matthews

for

Trouba/Laine

No thanks. Reilly/Matthews for Trouba/Laine would be a fair trade.

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
Leafs. Are. Not. Trading. Matthews. For. Anybody. Other. Than. McDavid.

You guys get it yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad