Proposal: Matthews [TOR] for Laine + Trouba [WIN]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Neither team would be interested in this deal.

Value-wise it likely favors Toronto, but I doubt the management has any interest in dealing away a franchise center, even if it means getting a franchise winger and potential top-line D in return

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
I don't give a **** if every other fan says " lol toronto would take this".
We absolutely would not. Matthews is untouchable. Unless you're offering McDavid, you're not getting him

Quiksilver*

I'm always right.
Sep 1, 2003
Toronto says no.

Even if they wanted to, which they wouldn't, don't think they could fit Trouba and his salary demands under the cap.

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
Um I think leafs take this one

I think they do too but they would also need a separate trade to get a #1 centre to minimize any fan backlash.

If the Leafs could acquire Duchene this offseason as well, preferably back to back they would close the first trade FO SHUR

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Toronto says no.

Even if they wanted to, which they wouldn't, don't think they could fit Trouba and his salary demands under the cap.

Is there something you know that we don't about Trouba's salary demands? Please feel free to share this info with us.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Whether the value is there or not (which it clearly is here IMO), you don't win these days without elite level centres. The Leafs aren't trading what could be their only shot at one so they can build around a winger again. No combination of lesser pieces would make sense for the Leafs because they'd still be lacking that player. McDavid (obviously) and Eichel (lateral move) are honestly the only two players in the league I would move Matthews for at this point in their rebuild.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Both teams would laugh at the idea

This.

Toronto isn't giving up a young potential franchise C for anything less than a better young franchise C. They have been looking since Sundin.

Winnipeg could be giving up the better player in the end, and adding a young top 4 D. They don't need Matthews nearly enough to overpay like this.

This looks like a thread put up just to start some arguments.

DraberlyakMcHallkins*

Toronto takes this and runs out of the room. Flip Laine for an equivalent C, even a bit worse and you make out like bandits. What's their other 1RD option?

WPG should never touch this, especially with Scheifele-Little down the middle

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Toronto's (eventual) starting roster would look pretty great imho, especially since it seems we're practically sleeping on Willy at this point:

Laine - Nylander - Marner

Rielly - Trouba

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I myself value Laine higher than Matthews so...

That said, Toronto isn't moving their franchise centre. Winnipeg isn't giving up their future superstar winger and future top pairing RHD.

• Haha
Reactions: Burt Macklin

DraberlyakMcHallkins*

Zaitsev probably. Or literally anyone else than having to pay Trouba 6+ million/year.

Do people just forget there is a cap?

I would wait until he's signed a contract before we say he's a 6+M dollar man, I'd DEFINITELY hold out until he signs before being a sarcastic ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad