Proposal: Matthews [TOR] for Laine + Trouba [WIN]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quiksilver*

I'm always right.
Sep 1, 2003
If Reilly is so much better than Trouba, why do people keep insisting Trouba will get over $6,000,000 AAV contract, when Reilly settled for $5.0 million?

Because one gets to play in Toronto, while the other would be stuck living in Winnipeg.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
If Reilly is so much better than Trouba, why do people keep insisting Trouba will get over $6,000,000 AAV contract, when Reilly settled for $5.0 million?

lol.

I'm not sure who is the better player at this point, but judging by the way Laine played in the WHC, it's definitely close.

No thanks. Reilly/Matthews for Trouba/Laine would be a fair trade.

I get you like your assets in-house, but most people overvalue their pipeline. I am not a fan of either team and there is zero chance a Trouba/Laine package is worth more than a Rielly/Matthews package (not actually even IMO and there is no point for TOR to do it if its an even swap because Matthews is definitely the best player in the deal)

Matthews is without a doubt a better forward prospect at a more valuable position than Laine.

Rielly projects to be a high end PMD and is only 22 coming off a 36 pts season for a last place team. Trouba is no doubt a better defensive dman, but like I said earlier, depends on your team needs. Some teams need a defensive dman and other teams need the high octane offensive puck mover. Trouba also isnt coming off a very dazzling year either

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
If Chevaldayoff offered this Toronto would be stupid not to accept. The difference between Matthews and Laine clearly isn't Trouba....

True the value favours the leafs. But losing a future 1C isn't just a value based thing. It's about how much the trade helps the leafs.

This trade doesn't help either team

kb

Aug 28, 2009

lol.

I'm not sure who is the better player at this point, but judging by the way Laine played in the WHC, it's definitely close.

No thanks. Reilly/Matthews for Trouba/Laine would be a fair trade.

No, it would not be. Not even close. Since when does a LW carry the same value as a C in any trade -- especially when the team giving up the C has its biggest need at C?

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
Yeah, Rielly is a dud. Highest # of points in his draft year amongst defenceman (tied with Lindholm), and tied for 5th overall in points in his draft year - 20 ahead of Trouba. Over 23 mins/game last year.

Dud.

No he did not call him a dud. He called him a stud. I disagree with that assessment

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Yikes. Go back and look at how all this started .......*pro tip* it's cap related. Which is one of the reasons why the Leafs would say no. So 6/year, get steppin.

I never said he was "holding out" either, context young fella. I said do you think he's holding out this long to simply say "ahhh F it, I'll just go ahead and sign that original offer". He's holding out as much as Matthews is.

Who knows nothing.

Toronto says no.

Even if they wanted to, which they wouldn't, don't think they could fit Trouba and his salary demands under the cap.

Right, lol. Trouba is holding out this long to sign a sweetheart deal. He's made his intentions clear, besides 6+ was just a number. Doesn't matter if it's 5, 5.5 or 6.

And who is this "equal value C" the Leafs are trading Laine for? Someone making league minimum?

It doesn't work. At all.

You just clearly stated he has high contract demands and is holding out. Which is exactly what I accused you of saying. Thanks for confirming.

Scheifele signed just over a week ago. Was he holding out for money? Is gaudreau holding out? Is Monahan? It's July. Unlike ELC's, which should be easy to sign, RFA contracts require a bit of negotiation. If he's not signed in 2 months feel free to throw out the "holding out" comments.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
No he did not call him a dud. He called him a stud. I disagree with that assessment

And I disagree with your disagreement. He broke out when Phaneuf was moved to the Senators and played his best hockey after that, along with being arguably Team Canada's best defender at the World Championships.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Yeah, Rielly is a dud. Highest # of points in his draft year amongst defenceman (tied with Lindholm), and tied for 5th overall in points in his draft year - 20 ahead of Trouba. Over 23 mins/game last year.

Dud.

You do realize there's more to playing defense than scoring points, right?

kb

Aug 28, 2009
You do realize there's more to playing defense than scoring points, right?

You do realize that he rarely played on the power play the first half of the season because Babcock wanted him to concentrate on defense first and not to worry about points?

Quiksilver*

I'm always right.
Sep 1, 2003
You just clearly stated he has high contract demands and is holding out. Which is exactly what I accused you of saying. Thanks for confirming.

Scheifele signed just over a week ago. Was he holding out for money? Is gaudreau holding out? Is Monahan? It's July. Unlike ELC's, which should be easy to sign, RFA contracts require a bit of negotiation. If he's not signed in 2 months feel free to throw out the "holding out" comments.

How does "holding out this long" in the context I used it equate to he's "holding out" and will miss camp etc. :help: It's really not that difficult, or atleast I thought.

If he got the contract he wanted, he would be signed by now, same goes for Matthews. Until then, they are "holding out" until they get the contract they want.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
It's weird seeing a fan of a non playoff team chirp another team for being bad...

Chill bro. The Jets are crazy good, they finished in 25th place while trying to make the playoffs, now that is nasty. And then they lucked out at the lottery and got Patrik "Gretzky" Laine who will score at least 105 goals next season.

Tbt to the "The Jets are serious SC contenders" threads from the beginning of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad