Matthews & Tavares vs Stamkos & Kucherov

TML vs TBL

• Total voters

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Tampa bay has the edge in wingers and defense. Toronto has the edge in centers goaltending and coaching. Overall I think tampa is better, no slight against Toronto tho.
I can get fully behind this.

The difference in the quality of wingers and centremen between the Lightning and the Leafs is not very significant, and basically equivalent to one another.

The difference in the quality of defensemen between the two teams, however, is fairly large. Goaltending and coaching is basically a toss up.

Tampa is still top dog in the Atlantic, for now...

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I was focusing more on them being tied for 2nd with 40 goals because more people rather focus on Matthews getting less total points.

Fair enough. As I said in my initial post, I think he's much closer than their point totals suggest, when you look at ice time , ES numbers and goals, but the overall production gap is too big for me not to put Kucherov ahead for now.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Fair enough. As I said in my initial post, I think he's much closer than their point totals suggest, when you look at ice time , ES numbers and goals, but the overall production gap is too big for me not to put Kucherov ahead for now.
Since Kucherov has already played 5 seasons and Matthews has just played 2 seasons, shouldn't that put him ahead based on experience?

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
Interesting Poll. If you go by skill then it is the Tampa duo by a slight margin:

Kucherov >>>>>>>>>> Matthews
Tavares >= Stamkos

However if you go by position value (2 #1 C's vs #1 C and W), you'd certainly have to go with the Toronto duo.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Its harder to choose than it appears.

But to place them on the Jets team.
It might be the 2 centers.

The 2 dmen are both rd
Jets will have 5 rd and 1 ld

But that will be an insane Dcore

Morrissey Karlsson
Burns Trouba
Myers Byfuglien

Going with forwards

Ehlers Schiefele Wheeler
Perrault Tavares Laine
Connor Matthews Roslovic 《《《:naughty:
Copp Lowry Little

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Depends on how much Matthews develops and what his ultimate upside is. Because as it stands, Kucherov is currently the best player of the four, and Stamkos/Tavares is essentially a wash.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Im surprised this is really all that close.

Kucherov is a top 5 player in the NHL, Matthews is arguably not even a top 10 center.

Tavares=Stamkos. This is a personal choice, but I don't think there is any significant gap between them

So Ill go Tampa

Reactions: Peggy

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Matthews & Tavares.

I prefer Tavares to Stamkos.

I think that Kucherov vs Matthews is almost a coinflip right now with Matthews most likely being better going forward and playing the more important position.

How is kucherov and Matthews a coin flip

Last edited:
Reactions: Iceman

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
I know that last season Kucherov had a better season than Matthews, although there was also the factor of Matthews missing 20 games. However during Matthews rookie season he and Kucherov were both tied for 2nd in the NHL with 40 goals, so I think that's something a lot of people forget.

Think you're forgetting kucherov had 85 points and Matthews had 69

Laine has 44 goals last year and 70 points so I guess Laine > kucherov too then right?

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
Im surprised this is really all that close.

Kucherov is a top 5 player in the NHL, Matthews is arguably not even a top 10 center.

Tavares=Stamkos. This is a personal choice, but I don't think there is any significant gap between them

So Ill go Tampa

Well the poll is who would you rather build around, not who is better right now. To think Matthews isn't going to make another few significant jumps in development at his age is being naive. Kucherov hadn't even set foot in the NHL at that age.

As great as all of these players are, I would be shocked if Matthews isn't the best of the four for a good number of years starting very soon. I love kucherov and he's extremely underrated, but the big complete game C is always going to be more valuable to a team compared to a winger putting up similar points, which these two guys will be doing most likely as early as this season.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
So bolts have better elite forwards, better depth, better defense, better goaltending.

man, they should run away with the division this year.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
So bolts have better elite forwards, better depth, better defense, better goaltending.

They have better wingers
Better defense and goaltending can be a wash if you want

Are you really that delusional you think Toronto is better even tho Tampa bay was better all season including the playoffs

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
They have better wingers
Better defense and goaltending can be a wash if you want

Are you really that delusional you think Toronto is better even tho Tampa bay was better all season including the playoffs
Tampa only had 8 more total points and 5 more total wins than Toronto last season. So it's not as bad as you want to make it sound.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Kucherov is far better than Matthews who's easily last on this list, guy should break 70 points first.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I know that last season Kucherov had a better season than Matthews, although there was also the factor of Matthews missing 20 games. However during Matthews rookie season he and Kucherov were both tied for 2nd in the NHL with 40 goals, so I think that's something a lot of people forget.

Yeah let's disregard Kucherov actually elevating his teammates with his playmaking abilities because of Matthews falls short in that department.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah let's disregard Kucherov actually elevating his teammates with his playmaking abilities because of Matthews falls short in that department.
Where exactly did I disregard Kucherov? I said last season he was better than Matthews. I also mentioned how in Matthews rookie season both of them were tied for 2nd in the NHL with 40 goals scored. So I didn't mention him having more total points because I focused on their goals scored instead.

alexgreeen

Jun 5, 2018
Kucherov >>> Matthews
Stamkos = Tavares

future
Kucherov >> Matthews
Stamkos = Tavares

ainec Kucherov & Stamkos

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Like they did last year? If not for loser points they'd have a double digit lead on every team in their division.

upload_2018-9-24_10-26-39.png

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I like the centers and Stamkos' health scares me a bit though I guess the same could be said for Matthews. Either pair could be the best two players on a cup winning team

Let's hope we get to see a series where they square off

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
Kucherov >>> Matthews
Stamkos = Tavares

future
Kucherov >> Matthews
Stamkos = Tavares

ainec Kucherov & Stamkos

Ah the good old AINEC is getting tossed around like nothing. If you know anything about hockey this is the kinda of poll that you can make an argument for both sides

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad