TSN: Matthews on TSN: "We really don't care what other people think".

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
I'm glad the team still has confidence, but Dubas has to do something about that Blue line. It will look different next year, Berrie won't be back, maybe one of the young guys will make the team. Who are they going to trade for a top 2 D? Dubas says the Marner criticisms are idiotic, I think not. Willy has a good contract I'd keep him. Marners contract looks atrocious right now, he's got to at least see this. Honestly I'd be fine without Marner if we got atop 2 d for him.
I'm bout that sire. BERRIE :biglaugh:
But on another note, as marner's offensive game this season was poor, his d-game is real good. PK he is elite. He does d-plays nother suckas can't even think. If that mother gets his offensive sucka on, he'll be aaaaight. Even monster. But I'ma see to it.

Reactions: Nineteen67

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He did his job.
How was any forward line supposed to function anyway when, every time the puck went back to the point, it got squandered. It's like playing shorthanded every shift against the opponent's best checkers.
Impossible situation, Matthews was fine.

Actually he didn't do his job, he could have done more and we could have won. They didn't win and we got shut out in two games. He's the primary goal scorer and Franchise player. They usually win but I know it takes more than just him to make that happen much like Toews and Kane in the past.

likecheese

Oct 21, 2019
Actually he didn't do his job, he could have done more and we could have won. They didn't win and we got shut out in two games. He's the primary goal scorer and Franchise player. They usually win but I know it takes more than just him to make that happen much like Toews and Kane in the past.
Using Toews and Kane as an example almost makes your point against you, how much have they won without the depth behind them? Look at the defense those teams had, they could actually cycle the puck to the point and not have it explode every time.
Our whole offense from the blue line was one guy, who was injured all season.

Azazel

Jan 2, 2016
They should care that GMs around the league and players on other teams are not the least bit worried about them

Edit:A bit harsher then I wanted.

But he should understand why they are getting criticized and take responsibilty

Last edited:

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
He really shouldn't care about a damn thing he hears, he actually showed up. Now. My boy Marner on the other hand I hope comes into next season with some sort of chip on his shoulder and shows us what we all know he's capable of doing. My favorite player but damn he disappointed me these past two playoffs.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Couldnt be said any better Matthews. makes me want to follow you because I'm starting to not care about the Leafs anymore. in the end what does it matter?
Be nice if I could actually be happy as a Leafs fan again. are we only here to get pointed and laughed at?
Embarrassing to be a Leafs fan. makes me not want to support them anymore and just follow the overall NHL.

Maybe the COVID setup was a huge reasoning this year but it’s the first time it was hard for me to get excited. I knew they didn’t have it in them to go far regardless if they won a round or not. I also merely tune in to the rest of the teams now even though I’m “working” from home and could realistically watch hockey all day.

Before I’d be glued to the TV 24/7 during playoffs and emotionally invested in the team. Game 5 I was just thinking win or lose, meh they’ll Likely be done next round anyways. I was more so hoping we advanced to not give the Canes a high pick lol

As a side note I saw another interview with Matthews where he states this team has 4 more years with the core. Almost like my contracts done and I’ll be gone. Marner and Tavares have 5 years btw. There’s just something about him I can’t come to like as a person. I’m not the sensitive type or anything, I just think he doesn’t give af about this team. He also fits the entitled millennial description to a tee

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Matty is probably the only player this season who brought his A game from start to finish.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
No points duirng game 5 or during our last two game 7's.

For 11.6 x 5 he needs to be the best player every night.

"...eventually".

How long does he expect us to wait?

Three 1st round exits and then we failed to even make the playoffs. Trending in the wrong direction.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Maybe the COVID setup was a huge reasoning this year but it’s the first time it was hard for me to get excited. I knew they didn’t have it in them to go far regardless if they won a round or not. I also merely tune in to the rest of the teams now even though I’m “working” from home and could realistically watch hockey all day.

Before I’d be glued to the TV 24/7 during playoffs and emotionally invested in the team. Game 5 I was just thinking win or lose, meh they’ll Likely be done next round anyways. I was more so hoping we advanced to not give the Canes a high pick lol

As a side note I saw another interview with Matthews where he states this team has 4 more years with the core. Almost like my contracts done and I’ll be gone. Marner and Tavares have 5 years btw. There’s just something about him I can’t come to like as a person. I’m not the sensitive type or anything, I just think he doesn’t give af about this team. He also fits the entitled millennial description to a tee

He said the core has been together for four years. He never said the core has 4 years left.

Seems like your mind is made up to just dislike him.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Alamo Leafer

Help end animal cruelty
Sep 12, 2018
Gatineau, QC
He was our best player during the season & the PO no doubt. Having said that, he can show his support for his teammates & management other ways, or choose his words better in public, if he ALSO cares about the fans.

I also realize he most likely was talking about the media, but this is T.O where media has the pulse of the fans in most occasions.

This is another example why I too am glad he didn't get the captaincy, at least not yet.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

OppositeLocK

Nov 18, 2017
It seems the overall organizational culture is trending towards big egos who feel they are beyond reproach. Some humility could go a long way to turning things around.

This has always been the problem with star players in Toronto. For over a decade the team was a country club.

Stay the course people say.... as if they got eliminated in the conference finals...

Last edited:
Reactions: LeafsRus

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Good for AM... clearly some of you need to read...

51MT0MbpD7L.jpg

..I strongly recommend it...

SoftDumpNtheCorner88

Jul 5, 2020
Just win a first round and then you can talk, you lose.. you take your boos and shut up.

I'm sorry, I'm usually the first to be defending these players against the media, but all the big names chose to take us to the cleaners for those new shiny contracts while other big name players responded with taking discounts to help their team sign other players even after our players could of inflated the market for them and some of those players and their teams are still in the playoffs.!..

This was the year to prove their worth right? No more excuses.. can't blame Babs this year right?... So they sit on their 12million (bonuses included) and still get kicked out the first round AGAIN?.. and they don't want to hear the boos now?... Come on!. They're still getting paid.. so of course they don't care what we have to say.. they collect that money and hope they don't get hurt to collect more later, that's business I guess.

If they collectively took SOME SORT OF A DISCOUNT.. atleast 1or 1.5 million each.. we could of had the room to get some other players or be able to keep certain guys or even help us with future signings now...... But nope, took us to the cleaners HARD and couldn't get the job done ... If we got passed a series ATLEAST!!!!. I wouldn't be complaining, I would call that PROGRESS!.

but nope, same old crap ... Now take your boos and shut up!, Dubas paid for it.

Last edited:

horner

May 22, 2007
He's still a hot headed child. And some wanted him to be captain.

He has accomplished nothing in his career thus far, yet he has this attitude.
We bleed blue and white.
I would love to turn off this team but I can't.
I would like to block out all of the leaf jokes that I have heard for years and years.
I would like to not watch the NHL draft where we may see a stud goaltender get drafted with our pick.
But I can't I bleed blue and white.

The players can block out everything which they have done for years and years.
We can't .
4 years of the same crap .

I hope the players will bleed blue and white some year , then there won't be any noise.

Prove me wrong

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
It seems the overall organizational culture is trending towards big egos who feel they are beyond reproach. Some humility could go a long way to turning things around.

Unfortunately it's common human nature to be defensive.

Essentially our top players took inflated contracts, Marner in particular isn't living up to his, and their inflated contracts are largely the reason we haven't been easily able to upgrade the blueline and also why we just lost the 13th OA pick.

These guys don't like the feeling that their own greed has hurt the team and/or that they're not worth their contracts, so they lash out at the source that's saying these things.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It was obvious that Matthews, Marner and Nylander didn’t care too much about winning, at least together, when they took all the cap space limiting management’s ability to put good players around them.
Relying on guys from the KHL that have never performed in the NHL is not a proven method of building a championship.

Last edited:

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
It was obvious that Matthews, Marner and Nylander didn’t care too much about winning, at least together, when they took all the cap space limiting managements ability to put good players around them.
Relying on guys from the KHL that have never performed in the NHL is not a proven method of building a championship.

50% of the blame goes to the greedy players and their selfish demands.

50% of the blame goes to Dubas for acquiescing to their greedy demands.

horner

May 22, 2007
He really shouldn't care about a damn thing he hears, he actually showed up. Now. My boy Marner on the other hand I hope comes into next season with some sort of chip on his shoulder and shows us what we all know he's capable of doing. My favorite player but damn he disappointed me these past two playoffs.
They all need to come in with a chip on there shoulder .
They only came back in the 4 th game because Werenski was hurt and didn't play in the last period.
When I heard he was playing in game 5 , I knew we were done.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Good for AM... clearly some of you need to read...

51MT0MbpD7L.jpg

..I strongly recommend it...
waste of time in my opinion, want to read a book that will actually help you become a better person? Read this.

Oh and Dubas, forget the Chinese proverbs and make every player read this...............

images

Reactions: Nineteen67

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
waste of time in my opinion, want to read a book that will actually help you become a better person? Read this.

Oh and Dubas, forget the Chinese proverbs and make every player read this...............

images

You think people in our society have the discipline to follow Navy Seal practices?..

If you want people to be better people watch this:

Reactions: dukeofjive

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad