Matthews,Marner,Rielly Vs Eichel,Skinner,Dahlin Which trio for the future?

Which trio for the future do you take?

• Matthews,Marner,Rielly

Votes: 200 45.4%
  • Eichel,Skinner,Dahlin

Votes: 241 54.6%

• Total voters

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Matthews>Eichel
Marner>Skinner
Rielly<<Dahlin

Probably pretty even but I'll take the Leafs.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Matthews>Eichel
Marner>Skinner
Rielly<<Dahlin

Probably pretty even but I'll take the Leafs.

Agreed. I'd go further....

Tavares >>> Mittelstadt (TODAY) 3-4 years could be interesting
Kadri = Reinhart

It's the defense where the Sabres have a big edge in my mind.

Rielly << Dahlin
Gardiner < Risto
Dermott < Scandella
Lilly = Guhle
?? < Bogosian
?? < McCabe

Reactions: Brock Radunske

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Buffalo.

I don't really care about Skinner, whose obviously the weakest link. I like to pick based on top end talent, vs looking at the weakest link.

Eichel ~ Matthews. Matthews has been better so far, but I still think Eichel had the higher ceiling. Very likely they end up comparable career wise.

Dahlin >> either of the other 2 players (for potential). So I wouldn't pass up on him.

Reactions: Mrb1p

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Matthews/Marner is pretty comparable .to dahlin/eichel

Skinner doesn't really belong here. certainly not alongside Rielly.

and you guys realize Skinner is 26, right? and an impending UFA? might be better off comparing him to a guy like Gardiner.

Last edited:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Yeh I'd say it hinges on him. If he's as advertised, the difference between him and Rielly will outweigh the superiority of the Leafs forwards.
Nothing is for sure until it is, though.

I feel this way.
As of right now, it's clearly the Leafs trio to me.

Matthews and Eichel to me are washes. Both guys are in that same tier of centre, to prefer one over the other is pure preference/homerism.
Skinners and Marner, Marner has shown more in his two years than Skinner has really. I mean, it's closer than people are making it out to be... but Marner's only, like, what, 21? Skinner's 26 or 27; and in his prime already.
Rielly is already a top pairing guy in the league, we have no idea what Dahlin is. If he's as good as he's been, and able to translate to the NHL; then it's no question.

Essentially:
1C vs 1C
Top 6W vs Top 6W
Top 2D vs ?D

If that questions is Elite 1D, then clearly it swings to Buffalo.

I think Buffalo and Toronto will renew that rivalry sooner rather than later.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Is Skinner seriously Buffalo's second best offensive player? Yikes.

That D is looking really good though.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Having Dahlin in there is big, even if Skinner looks like he doesn't belong. I like Matthews more than Eichel but I'll happily take the Eichel/Dahlin duo over the TOR trio.

Your 1C and 1D are set for the next decade+. Much easier to fill out the rest of the squad.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Yeh I'd say it hinges on him. If he's as advertised, the difference between him and Rielly will outweigh the superiority of the Leafs forwards.
Nothing is for sure until it is, though.

Prospects aren't quaranteed, but like with Matthews& McDavid the risk with Dahlin should be much lower than normally.

Imagine changing Rielly with Karlsson/Hedman, it's a massive difference, but for next year it's easy Toronto, and the team overall still.

Raymoondo

Leafs Cup 2021
Apr 9, 2013
Toronto
Agreed. I'd go further....

Tavares >>> Mittelstadt (TODAY) 3-4 years could be interesting
Kadri = Reinhart

It's the defense where the Sabres have a big edge in my mind.

Rielly << Dahlin
Gardiner < Risto
Dermott < Scandella
Lilly = Guhle
?? < Bogosian
?? < McCabe
I'd argue Zaitsev > Bogosian but the rest seems pretty fine

Reactions: HoBOonFiRE

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Just out of these players i might lean towards Buffalo due to Dahlin, and assuming Skinner stays. But Toronto's overall group of young talent is higher at the moment.

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
Dahlin hasnt even played a friggen game yet. The amount of stock thats put into potential on this board is hilarious.
Yeah some people really love potential over results for sure. Heard the same thing about Ekblad too, i'll just wait and see how Buffalo develops him before I throw the "franchise tag" on him.
This poll is the Leafs trio today.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
Really depends on dahlin. I'm not sold he's going to be the next EK so for me it's the leafs trio. Will be interesting to see how he develops though

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Dahlin hasnt even played a friggen game yet. The amount of stock thats put into potential on this board is hilarious.
Right but he's being hyped as a generational dman. Even before Mcdavid or Crosby or Ovechkin had set foot in the NHL we knew they were going to be superstars.

Reactions: Mitts888

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Prospects aren't quaranteed, but like with Matthews& McDavid the risk with Dahlin should be much lower than normally.

Imagine changing Rielly with Karlsson/Hedman, it's a massive difference, but for next year it's easy Toronto, and the team overall still.

I agree. I think Dahlin's floor is a top-pairing dman and a ceiling of the best defensemen in the league.
That being said, I think as a core group, when it's all said and done, the Leafs forward core will be >> Buffalos and Buffalo will have the superior defense core (with potential yo be >> the Leafs)
I think we'll see some fun playoff series in the coming years.

Reactions: Mitts888

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

I've been a little more reserved on Dahlin because of position and also the style he plays is pretty unique. There may be an adjustment period. I expect him to be very good, but it may not be instantaneous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad