Matthews making a run at the Rocket

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
Insecure Laine fans in this thread.

Funny hown they still haven't figured out that what Matthews is doing is way more impressive. One is playing the harder position while being good defensively with 2 third liners on his wings.

B...but LAINE?!?!?

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Leafs fans and Jets/other need to stop. Leafs fans need to realize Laine is one hell of a player. He would most likely have more goals than Matthews had he not missed games. Guy is a pure goal scorer and one of the best 18 year old goal scorers this league has ever seen. Matthews is still a beast though. He has two rookies who have half as much skill as Nylander, but yet is still producing like a first line center. I'll take Matthews over Laine, but to try to put down Laine is dumb. Guy is a superstar.

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
Insecure Laine fans in this thread.

Funny hown they still haven't figured out that what Matthews is doing is way more impressive. One is playing the harder position while being good defensively with 2 third liners on his wings.

B...but LAINE?!?!?

I'm not sure who you're responding to, but your reply has to be at least equally as moronic. Matthews is great. One of the best players to come into the league in a long time, but Laine being incredible and Matthews being incredible aren't mutually exclusive. Laine is a "year" younger than Matthews is, and at young ages it counts for a lot. He was a minor a short while ago, and he will develop a lot athletically still. I'm also unsure why you think the Jets are such a power house team. They are bad, and their record reflects that. I guess you call Laine's linemates good, so that it would make his play less impressive. Standard undermining practice.

Fans of Matthews call the Leafs trash so that it would make Matthews' play more impressive. It happens all the time around these parts. Price fans call the Habs trash, so that Price's play would be so much more impressive. "He pretty much carries the team alone! Everyone else are trash!" Just stop. Star players will be star players even without you anonymously pumping their tires at an internet message board.

GrizzLeaf

Registered Bear
Aug 13, 2010
Quebec
Leafs fans and Jets/other need to stop. Leafs fans need to realize Laine is one hell of a player. He would most likely have more goals than Matthews had he not missed games. Guy is a pure goal scorer and one of the best 18 year old goal scorers this league has ever seen. Matthews is still a beast though. He has two rookies who have half as much skill as Nylander, but yet is still producing like a first line center. I'll take Matthews over Laine, but to try to put down Laine is dumb. Guy is a superstar.

You're right, both are great players.

My shots at Laine fan boys are all in this thread because it's all about Laine to them.

If I go into a Laine thread, it's to discus how good he is, not to bash him or sing Mathews' praises.

Those guys are trolls or just being clueless about how little some of care about Laine when discussing Mathews in his own thread. If I wanted to compare them I would post in a Mathews/Laine comparison thread (or make one for that purpose).

Btw: Mathews > Laine is my pick as well. And not because of stats or records but because he plays a more complete game.

When the draft was happening, I couldn't help but think of Kessel when Laine's name would come up. Obviously Laine's level of compete and physical stamina are above Kessel's (when he was a Leaf anyhow) but it was a fear of mine.

I'll take the goal scoring, complete player over the pure goal scorer, thank you. We went pure goal scorer route once and look how that ended.

Pitts did it right. Built a great team and added a pure goal scorer as a final piece.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I'm not sure who you're responding to, but your reply has to be at least equally as moronic. Matthews is great. One of the best players to come into the league in a long time, but Laine being incredible and Matthews being incredible aren't mutually exclusive. Laine is a "year" younger than Matthews is, and at young ages it counts for a lot. He was a minor a short while ago, and he will develop a lot athletically still. I'm also unsure why you think the Jets are such a power house team. They are bad, and their record reflects that. I guess you call Laine's linemates good, so that it would make his play less impressive. Standard undermining practice.

Fans of Matthews call the Leafs trash so that it would make Matthews' play more impressive. It happens all the time around these parts. Price fans call the Habs trash, so that Price's play would be so much more impressive. "He pretty much carries the team alone! Everyone else are trash!" Just stop. Star players will be star players even without you anonymously pumping their tires at an internet message board.

Hasn't it been shown that in top picks, age tends to not make much of a difference? Pretty sure I've seen that.

I agree with your main point here though, and I've been saying that since the draft. These guys are defined by what they are doing, not how they compare to each other.

I know what you mean with the undermining practice as well. We had a guy on the Leafs board who pushed Rielly by comparing him to Fowler, and then saying that Rielly had to drag around a rookie while Fowler played with a seasoned veteran. Technically true, but severely misrepresents the abilities of Zaitsev and Bieksa. You see the same here, where Nylander gets lumped in as just a rookie, when you might as well refer to him as a elite possession player with top end offensive abilities.

Guys like these are good enough as it is without reaching to make excuses.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

Agreed

Not sure why some fans from both teams/players (some Finn fans) feel a need to provoke the other fans or insult the other teams player or mock one player when he gets injured. I've seen fans from both teams do this, one group is no more guilty then the other....both have been bad.

Just enjoy the raw talent both bring. Both are complete studs and super stars. Stop with the bashing.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I read through about half of this thread and found only about 1% of posts were on topic.

This is my view - Matthews is in the running for the Rocket, but many players are, and it is unlikely he will win it. Laine is in the running for the Rocket as well, but it is even more unlikely he will win it.

Out of the 18 top goal scorers 5 have 27 games remaining: Crosby, Carter, Atkinson Matthews and Malkin. The first 4 are also 4 of the top 5 goal scorers in the league right now (the other being Pacioretty 24 games remaining).

Grabner, Ovechnkin, Tarasenko, Oshie, Simmonds and Kreider all have 26 games remaining. Burns 25, Pasternak, Marchand, Rakell (and Pacioretty) have 24, and Laine and Scheifele have 23.

Five players are on pace for 40 goals this year (Crosby 47, Carter 43, Atkinson, Matthews and Pacioretty 40 each) with Grabner, Ovechkin, Tarasenko and Laine on pace for 38. Pasternak, Malkin and Oshie can't completely be ruled out either.

For arguments's sake I think it will take 42 goals to win the Rocket this year. For that Crosby would need 12 goals in 27 games and Carter 13 goals in 27 games. Matthews would need 15 goals in 27. Laine would need 16 goals in 23 games. So a hot streak could get Matthews there, but Laine would need one hell of a hot streak. On the other hand without a hot streak from Matthews, I could see Laine easily passing him in goals, I just doubt by enough to win the Rocket.

So to me, that leaves 12 players with a chance at the Rocket, and with Crosby coming back down to earth in terms of goal scoring, I think it is wide open. Personally, I think that such a situation should make people excited. Apparently not.

Last edited:

Center Ice Scrum*

Aug 20, 2010
The World Wide Web
LOL @ all the sensitive Laine fanboys. The insecurity really shows when they have to hijack yet another Matthews thread. There's a Laine hatty thread right now filled with Leaf fans praising Laine and rarely anyone saying a single bad thing about him or trying to pump up Matthews. Yet Laine fanboys come in here like they have a chip on their shoulder. It's very amusing.

Laine has accomplished a lot as an 18 year old rookie who is half a year younger than Matthews. BUT Matthews is in a whole different tier as a player. He is exceptional at every facet of the game (mediocre on FO still but quickly improving over past month of so). If we're counting points and goals, yea I can agree that Laine is slightly ahead production wise, but even offensively, Matthews creates so much more than Laine, that isn't even close.

Lastly, for those fans calling posters morons, etc. Relax. We're not out here personally attacking people, you don't need to either.

Laine I can see turning into a player like Thomas Vanek. They are very similar players. Matthews is closer Crosby/ Malkin in his playing style.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016

I think i love you! This is what more people need to realize and not let their bias get in the way.

In a huge Laine fan and absolutely love matthews game he is absolutely incredible!

The only thing is dont agree with in your post is the superstar part:) i dont think he is there yet but he is well on his way and so is Matthews. And Marner too. But again its too early to tell for all we know this will be their best seasons ever. Not likely to be that tho atleast i surely hope not.

Center Ice Scrum*

Aug 20, 2010
The World Wide Web
I think i love you! This is what more people need to realize and not let their bias get in the way.

In a huge Laine fan and absolutely love matthews game he is absolutely incredible!

The only thing is dont agree with in your post is the superstar part:) i dont think he is there yet but he is well on his way and so is Matthews. And Marner too. But again its too early to tell for all we know this will be their best seasons ever. Not likely to be that tho atleast i surely hope not.

No one is trying to put Laine down. We're just saying that Matthews is a ton better than him and there's no real comparison here. It's the Laine fans that come in here and act like they have something to prove. Let's not get twisted here. This is a MATTHEWS THREAD. No one asked for a Laine comparison or Laine mention. Same goes for the Mcdavid mentions too. Say the word generational and the pitch fork wielding Oilers/ McDavid fans come running. It's pretty sad.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
And McDavid has more assists THIS SEASON as Matthews does goals in his career. :amazed:

McDavid is a pass first guy, in case you were wondering.

This is a Rockets and goals thread. But good point for you to bring up if I troll a McDavid playmaking thread one day.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
No one is trying to put Laine down. We're just saying that Matthews is a ton better than him and there's no real comparison here. It's the Laine fans that come in here and act like they have something to prove. Let's not get twisted here. This is a MATTHEWS THREAD. No one asked for a Laine comparison or Laine mention. Same goes for the Mcdavid mentions too. Say the word generational and the pitch fork wielding Oilers/ McDavid fans come running. It's pretty sad.

Two different players two different roles. I cant decide whos better at their position and that has nothing to do with this thread so not gonna finish that.

I apologize on behalf on those immature fans. Both sides have posters acting very childish lets just ignore those in the future.

And as you said this is a Matthews thread.

55 (or is it 56 now?) Games and 27 goals. Dude is a monster. He has an disgusting amount of first goal of the game aswell. That is pretty impressive, as if the goalies were not ready for him^^ man 2-3 years from now he will be even better. I wonder what an potent goalscorer on his wing would do to gis production.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
LOL! Any chance this thread was started in respose to Laine becoming the first in NHL history to get 3 hat-tricks before 19? Can't let him get all the attention!

Mar 12, 2009
Laine has better gpg, ppg and apg and he's younger :laugh:

So who's the generational?

You guys are just as insecure as Leaf fans...holy ****, neither Laine fans or Leaf fans can talk about one of them without the other fanbase chyming in and starting pissing matches.

LOL! Any chance this thread was started in respose to Laine becoming the first in NHL history to get 3 hat-tricks before 19? Can't let him get all the attention!

This guy too. Start a Laine thread if you want to discuss his excellent hat trick. You're as obnoxious as leaf fans claiming AM is generational. Laine Justice Warriors over here.

Such a pissing match.

Every time. Avoided these threads for months, still the same with the same children saying the same things.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Sure, thats great production now. But Modano's 30+ goal seasons and 80+ point seasons put him 8-10th in the NHL in both categories considering his era and peers

The league was different back then, let's not pretend Modano could put up those points in the current NHL.

Which is exactly my point. If he puts up those numbers now, then who cares if he is a Modano clone. Those numbers are elite numbers in todays NHL.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Which is exactly my point. If he puts up those numbers now, then who cares if he is a Modano clone. Those numbers are elite numbers in todays NHL.

It's never an insult to have a Modano-like career. He was among the best centers of his generation. Modano level is neither Matthews' ceiling nor his floor. But I'd take it if that's how it ends up.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

I would say the chances are low as this thread was started before Laine scored his second goal last night, let alone his third.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
[mod] , how many 5v5 points do you guys think Laine (or really any other successful rookie, including Marner) would have playing with Brown and Hyman (or an equivalent since they need a center)? A lot less that's for sure. And that's not an insult at Laine but rather just pointing out how impressive Matthews numbers are. Scheifele right now is scoring at a PPG pace and is 2nd (!) in the league in even strength points, ahead of even Crosby. Ehlers I believe is also top 10 in ESP. What a luxury to play with guys like that as a rookie, especially when you're a goalscorer. And i'm not ignoring the fact that Laine's goalscoring is certainly part of the reason why that total is so high. But still, their linemates are in completely different leagues. Matthews will never win a Rocket playing with 2 guys who are around 150th in the league in even strength scoring.

Last edited by a moderator:

Randal61

Jan 12, 2014
[mod], how many 5v5 points do you guys think Laine (or really any other successful rookie, including Marner) would have playing with Brown and Hyman (or an equivalent since they need a center)? A lot less that's for sure. And that's not an insult at Laine but rather just pointing out how impressive Matthews numbers are. Scheifele right now is scoring at a PPG pace and is 2nd (!) in the league in even strength points, ahead of even Crosby. Ehlers I believe is also top 10 in ESP. What a luxury to play with guys like that as a rookie, especially when you're a goalscorer. And i'm not ignoring the fact that Laine's goalscoring is certainly part of the reason why that total is so high. But still, their linemates are in completely different leagues. Matthews will never win a Rocket playing with 2 guys who are around 150th in the league in even strength scoring.

Always have to circle back to that nonsense.

Last edited by a moderator:

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Matthews isn't even CURRENTLY the best player from his draft class but he's generational?

He is far and away the best player in his draft class. There's another guy who he's traded spots with a couple of times offensively, but he's just a one dimensional winger. No where near the same skill set defensively, or the same importance to a team. Not to mention that guy plays with top line players, and not a couple of rookies.

BDizzle*

Jul 7, 2010
Ontario
LOL @ all the sensitive Laine fanboys. The insecurity really shows when they have to hijack yet another Matthews thread. There's a Laine hatty thread right now filled with Leaf fans praising Laine and rarely anyone saying a single bad thing about him or trying to pump up Matthews. Yet Laine fanboys come in here like they have a chip on their shoulder. It's very amusing.

Laine has accomplished a lot as an 18 year old rookie who is half a year younger than Matthews. BUT Matthews is in a whole different tier as a player. He is exceptional at every facet of the game (mediocre on FO still but quickly improving over past month of so). If we're counting points and goals, yea I can agree that Laine is slightly ahead production wise, but even offensively, Matthews creates so much more than Laine, that isn't even close.

Lastly, for those fans calling posters morons, etc. Relax. We're not out here personally attacking people, you don't need to either.

Laine I can see turning into a player like Thomas Vanek. They are very similar players. Matthews is closer Crosby/ Malkin in his playing style.

It is pretty comical, but I guess that is what happens when insecure people try and use nonsensical "evidence" to prove their false agenda.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad