Matthews making a run at the Rocket

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Could Matthews winning the Rocket put him in the generational talent class? And stop people from saying he's just a Modano (who was amazing by the way)

But what would it do for him? And can he win it as a rookie?

27 goals

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Matthews is better than most people seemed to expect. The generational tag is a very very contentious one that most people won't agree on outside of the big names like Crosby and McDavid.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Shades of 66 out there tonight. He's generational. HF doesn't make that decision, his skill set does.

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
Only 3 back now. If the leafs load his line up with Marner I could see it. Multiple times tonight it was painfully obvious his Hyman and brown could not keep up with him.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Only 3 back now. If the leafs load his line up with Marner I could see it. Multiple times tonight it was painfully obvious his Hyman and brown could not keep up with him.

Hyman and Brown have been terrible lately especially Hyman. Tonight alone Hyman fell twice while going in on the forecheck and later on missed the net completely on a 2 on 1....cringe worthy.

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
Hyman and Brown have been terrible lately especially Hyman. Tonight alone Hyman fell twice while going in on the forecheck and later on missed the net completely on a 2 on 1....cringe worthy.

Lol my buddy jokingly today was telling me Matthews was not a first line player. His proof? Him playing on the third line.

Kunta Kinte

Nov 10, 2011
He is 4th right now.. Still has a chance.

To be honest, I would bet him not finishing top-5.

Crosby, Ovechkin, Carter, Pacioretty and Tarasenko are my bet to go 1-5.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I don't think Matthews has talented enough linemates to make it happen.

Matthews is likely franchise tier. McDavid, Crosby and Ovechkin are generational types

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Laine has better gpg, ppg and apg and he's younger :laugh:

So who's the generational?

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
I don't think Matthews has talented enough linemates to make it happen.

Matthews is likely franchise tier. McDavid, Crosby and Ovechkin are generational types

If he contributes to a Cup win for Toronto, no one will care what title people put on him. He will be legendary and kept in our hearts for the next 50 years.

At the end of the day, that's all that matters, the team winning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad