Matthews is averaging 30 ESG in his first two seasons (28/30 this year)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Goalies can read him well and he's not much of a passer is my guess.
Possibly could be the issue this year, but last year his totals were 22 points on the PP broken up into 9 goals and 13 assists. So more assists than goals. Sometimes it's a matter of luck too. I think he'll rebound on the PP next year.

paragon

May 5, 2010
Goalies can read him well and he's not much of a passer is my guess.
I would guess north-south players who score on a rush a lot have a harder time scoring goals on PP which is generally a lot more east-west. Would explain also why McDavid is such a beast on EV, but has had relatively bad production on PP.

Reactions: Conspiracy Theorist

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I agree Mathews has 30 goals in 57 games and is elite. Mcdavid has 27 goals in last 29 games, not elite..I get it..

Mcdavid miles ahead at every aspect of game, speed, smarts, scoring. That’s why he is labeled as a generational player. He’s one of a kind. No slight against Matthews, he’s a nice player. Guy is over 80th in league scoring, he’s not close to being elite yet.

If that's what you believe that's cool, not worth arguing with a child. There has been enough of that junk on here.

Yasuo

Sep 7, 2016
I would guess north-south players who score on a rush a lot have a harder time scoring goals on PP which is generally a lot more east-west. Would explain also why McDavid is such a beast on EV, but has had relatively bad production on PP.
His ev on ice shooting % is 12.5 this is not sustainable at all.

Brian McDavid

Aug 4, 2017
Oil City Roadhouse
lmao.

I have no bone to pick in this fight. If you think Drysaddle is on his level, then so be it. You're not upsetting me as I'm not a leafs fan. But keep going please.

PS. it was a joke, you know, sarcasm? Don't be an insecure Oilers fan. Lord knows we have enough of you guys on this board already

Lol. Leaf fans are hilarious.

And yes, Matthews is elite.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Imagine how much room for improvement some of these young players still have? McDavid, Matthews, Laine etc. There is an incredible amount of talent to watch over the next decade.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
It really is baffling to me how he doesn't score at all on the powerplay. Maybe he takes JVR's spot in front of the net next year.

Not trying to detract from his even-strength abilities, it just seems weird that it comes easier to AM when there are more opponents on the ice.

Last season he had 21 PP points. This idea that he can't score well on the powerplay is false, this season it's more about how he's been used.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
He should take JVR's spot next season on the PP.

He scores a ton of his goals right near the net and his hands are insane in close just like JVR. With Marner setting up Matthews instead of JVR he is going to score a ridiculous amount of goals on the PP.

But you never know with Babcock and he likes to spread out the talent for the PP so he might end up on the 2nd unit and get like 30 seconds per PP like he does this season.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
What a player. He'll challenge Laine for the Rocket every year AND will challenge McDavid for Art several times when at his best.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
If you want to be an elite player, you need to be ppg as a minimum to start conversation. Matthews is not.

You are literally grasping at straws. He is currently at 0.95 P/GP despite playing fewer total minutes and PP minutes than any of the other elite around the league and missing 20 games to injury (injury hangover).

Last edited:

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
You are literally grasping at straws. He is currently at 0.93 P/GP despite playing fewer total minutes and PP minutes than any of the other elite around the league and missing 20 games to injury (injury hangover).

Isn't he 0.95PPG? ;)

Reactions: The Podium

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
If you want to be an elite player, you need to be ppg as a minimum to start conversation. Matthews is not.

Says who? you?

You're entitled to your opinion but don't try to pass it off as fact. That is not the ultimate standard for an elite player. A lot goes into a player's ability to be elite without points - albeit points play a solid role in the argument but it's not everything. Top top it off, you're acting like he's 0.34 PPG when he's very close to 1.0 PPG. He's currently at 0.95 PPG :sarcasm:

Reactions: bionic

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I agree Mathews has 30 goals in 57 games and is elite. Mcdavid has 27 goals in last 29 games, not elite..I get it..

Mcdavid miles ahead at every aspect of game, speed, smarts, scoring. That’s why he is labeled as a generational player. He’s one of a kind. No slight against Matthews, he’s a nice player. Guy is over 80th in league scoring, he’s not close to being elite yet.

How the hell does a rookie come 2nd in NHL goals, and be tied for the even strength goal lead in his first 2 seasons (the hardest and most valuable thing a player can do in the NHL) despite missing 20 games and not be considered elite? I could understand your position if he was a horrible defensive player or very poor in any other aspect of the game, but it's infact the complete opposite.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
What a player. He'll challenge Laine for the Rocket every year AND will challenge McDavid for Art several times when at his best.
He might get lucky In a season or 2 , but he will not be outright challenging 97 if 97 is healthy. Rocket Richard he will definitely be on the radar every season he is healthy.

Reactions: saffronleaf
Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC

He'll probably give Laine a run for his money (I still think Laine is way better than him) but as long as Connor is healthy, there's just no chance of him competing with Connor for anything. McDavid is just light years ahead of him and everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad