Post-Game Talk: Matthews Has Historic Night.... Mostly Everyone Else? Ehhhhh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
by 'multiple' you mean two pre-season games and one regular season game? Didn't he also miss a good chunk of training camp due to injury?

Bad goaltenders still hover around a .900 save percentage. This isn't someone getting into the swing of things. This is someone who looks like he's in over his head.

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
I thought Kadri's line was fine. I just wish they had more of a scoring touch. They did well staying in the offensive zone but didn't look dangerous in terms of generating scoring chances. Still decent considering that they had mainly defensive zone starts.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Bad goaltenders still hover around a .900 save percentage. This isn't someone getting into the swing of things. This is someone who looks like he's in over his head.

The goals he allowed looked more like someone with rust than someone who has some serious fundamental problems. If he's still bad at the 10-15 game mark then we may have a serious problem.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
It's 3 (not even) games. Step back from the ledge.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Matthews was historically great, and it was an absolute pleasure to watch OUR FUTURE make the Sens look like pylons, especially on that incredible 2nd goal. I'm beyond words really . . . honestly, I was almost in tears last night after the third goal, thinking of all the pain we've endured as Leafs Nation, and now this guy from the desert is leading us to the promised land. Yes, that was cheesy, but it fits.

The negatives that are talked about . . . honestly, Andersen was rusty, but also made some huge saves too that I think many people are forgetting. Definitely two makeable saves he'd love to have back, but overall I'm not worried right now.

The real revelation to me - beside the whole, "I think Matthews will be great" turning into "I think Matthews might become an ALL-TIME Great!" - was Magical Mitch Marner. He. Is. Going. To. Be. A. Star. He really was dancing all over the place, was incredibly smart and savvy, and I was very impressed.

Nylander had instant chemistry it seems like with Matthews (they've played like, 5 games together now including preseason . . . that's fast!) and was also full value. Hyman was REALLY good. Man does Babcock look like a genius for putting that line together, a combination that not many of us thought of.

And the Sens played really well I thought - they survived an epic performance from Matthews, their goalie played very well (although I am sure Sens fans want him to save that 2nd Matthews goal) and Karlsson was a beast. So I think the Leafs would have all looked EVEN BETTER against a team playing more poorly . . .

It's a beautiful time to be a Leaf fan.

Feels good man.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I mean this is insane.

Dominic Moore is a 15pt scorer and a possession liability to boot. He is no way comaprable to Kadri.

Not even close.

Dominic Moore career .32 PPG
Nazem Kadri career .60 PPG

Big difference.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
the kadri hate will never, ever stop.

It took less than one game for people to start blaming Kadri's performance on his wingers, I like Kadri I think he's a good player but I'm so tired of how nothing is ever his fault.

Yeah baseless Kadri hate likely won't ever stop but neither will his apologists who are willing to blame everything on his wingers.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yeah we should just put Holland there, he'd probably do better eh.

We just need to upgrade that 3rd center position at some point, or diversify the skillset with a player who brings some kind of actual impact. Something like a Sean Couturier who brings a dramatically different ingredient and different strengths.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Anyone that is defending andersen needs to stop, he plopped a big egg and that's all there is to it.

Now obviously we need to be patient with him because it's a new team and system etc and we will be...but don't defend yesterday. 4 stoppable goals, make one of them.

Exactly! Andersen was dreadful against the Habs in pre-season, and, again last night against the Sens.

No excuses!

How the hell does Andersen, at 6'4", look smaller than Bernier in net?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I seem to remember a time when Dominic Moore played in our top 6.

Dominic Moore posted a 63 GP 12 G 29 A 41 PT season for us in 2008-09, while being a decent middle six player on a team with zero skill. So while comparing Kadri to Moore isn't supposed to be a compliment, that is actually the player Kadri seems to be for us.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Where's Matthews mom from?

Last edited by a moderator:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I seem to remember a time when Dominic Moore played in our top 6.

On January 11, 2008, the Toronto Maple Leafs claimed Moore off of waivers from the Wild. His debut with the Maple Leafs came on January 12, 2008, against the San Jose Sharks. He was assigned to centre Toronto's top scoring line alongside left winger Jason Blake

Remember how good we were in 2008? 09? 10?

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
We just need to upgrade that 3rd center position at some point, or diversify the skillset with a player who brings some kind of actual impact. Something like a Sean Couturier who brings a dramatically different ingredient and different strengths.

It's funny because you're exactly the kind of person who would say Couturier does nothing. The same criticisms that are being brought Kadri's way for how he played last night are the same things that people have said about Couturier. A lot of people hold the fact that he has never broken 40 points over his head, despite the fact that Couturier receives zone starts and linemates similar to what Kadri had last night. And the people that defend Couturier use the same arguments in his favour that were being used for Kadri, such as possession numbers and other advanced statistics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad