Post-Game Talk: Matthews Has Historic Night.... Mostly Everyone Else? Ehhhhh

Status
Not open for further replies.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
He was great.

It seems like Babcock has carved out a role for him this year to shut down the other team's top lines so the kids can feast on 2nd/3rd lines. Of course he won't score as much but the other team's top line will be spending the game in their own end which is better for us anyways.

I do wish he had a better finisher on that line, I think he is capable of ~60 pts if he has another good offensive presence.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Kadri's shot differentials is the only thing he has going for him and people cling to it obsessively. Other than some skewed statistic, in "lamant" terms, he's just a very average non impact player.

If Kadri is average, VanRyk and Bozak are below average.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Kadri's shot differentials is the only thing he has going for him and people cling to it obsessively. Other than some skewed statistic, in "lamant" terms, he's just a very average non impact player.

Nope. There are many stats beyond shot differentials that prove how effective of a player he is. There is the new xGF (expected Goals For) model which specifically looks at goal creation and he fares pretty well there. There are also zone exit and zone entry statistics in which he also tracks well. There are also new possession statistics that are centered around passing rather than shots, and completed passes etc, and he also does well in that. Then there's the WOWY (with or without you) stats which show that just about every single player improves with him on their line than without.

It's okay though, you can continue to deny the information that's out there and revel in your ignorance. Luckily you aren't managing or coaching the team.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
the boxscore tells a much different tale:

0's across the board, 1 give away, and 1 take away.

+/- -1

he did win 9 faceoffs, but some people debate that they are not as important as other stats.

i don't know man. 0 shots, 0 hits, 0 blocks, 0 points. how can you even call that a shutdown role?

he has to be way better. it's only 1 game, but i put him in the "needs more effort" club.

Marner had zeroes across the board and -2. Anyone who watched the game would tell you that Marner was fantastic.

Box scores lie. Dig deeper.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

+/- -1

he did win 9 faceoffs, but some people debate that they are not as important as other stats.

i don't know man. 0 shots, 0 hits, 0 blocks, 0 points. how can you even call that a shutdown role?

he has to be way better. it's only 1 game, but i put him in the "needs more effort" club.
Learn statistics. Why is this so hard for people?

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012

+/- -1

I just think the narrative would be different if Andersen wasn't flaming garbage last night.

He did his job limiting Turris's line to very little the whole game. Like I said I don't expect much offense from him this year, Babcock is trying to use him in a shut down role.

But we will see. Just one game.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto

+/- -1

Damn, a box scorer. :jump:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Last 2yrs, Even Strength:

Kadri: 34pts per 82gms, +3.9 zone-start adjust corsi relative to team
VanRyk: 38pts per 82gms, -2.8 zone-start adjust corsi relative to team
Bozak: 32pts per 82gms, -2.7 zone-start adjust corsi relative to team

Three similar offensive players, one a possession beast, the other two possession liabilities.

Last Night:

Kadri: 0pts, +12.5correl
VanRyk: 0pts, -10.3correl
Bozak: 0pts, -10.3correl

lastnotice

Jun 23, 2010
I find it hilarious other boards here saying "TSN will be unwatchable for the next few days", or "dont go on the main boards its all Mathews talk"....then they go on a 6 pages binge in their own Out of Town thread praising Mathews!

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Nobody is clinging to anything. They are facts. I'm sorry if you don't like facts I guess? Let me guess, you like Donald Trump as well?

There is nothing skewed about this. If you think he played bad or average, that's your prerogative. A few of us have showed you that he in fact had a pretty good game with the role he was put in and actually his line ended up being one of the better lines last night. He didn't score... so what, 17 players didn't score last night either and the majority of the team finished with no points.

If he had an average to bad game, the whole team aside from a couple were down right awful.

He's a middle six player being counted on for his 2-way play and possession play right now and he delivered. If you can't see the good in that, then I'm not sure what to tell you.

Last edited:

Brewsky

King Of The Ice Mugs
Jan 26, 2011
King County
www.brewsky.com
The overanalysis of one game continues.

Matthews is a superstar.

Kadri will fit into his role of a middle 6 appropriately after Matthews snatches the reigns.

I see one of Kadri/Bozak being shipped for a D-piece sometime this season.

Andersen hasn't showed any reason why he should be paid $1M let alone $5M for the next 5 years.

I love the youth, even if we lose I just love seeing progression, the future, entertainment and improvement in their game. Marner/Nylander/Matthews and even Zaitsev with typical Reilly shining, great team to call our own.

Darkside Blue

There/They're/Their
Feb 17, 2014
Marner had zeroes across the board and -2. Anyone who watched the game would tell you that Marner was fantastic.

Box scores lie. Dig deeper.

Probably the best way of describing JvR and Bozak. Although I'm in the minority that thinks Jvr had some good moments - couple of good backchecks, and set up Marner, I think, with a very nice pass. His passing is an under-rated part of his game.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
What is Kadri providing to the Leafs on a night like last night that a Dominic Moore didn't on any given night?

The bar for that guy is set so ridiculously low.

I don't know about the second statement but Kadri does seem closer to being Dominic Moore in a sea of swift skating youth than I ever thought he was.

He's projecting to be the Leafs' 3rd line center in the future (is the future now?) which will work just fine.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I have to say I really think this is going to be amazing for the NHL. Having a bone fide star in the leagues biggest-most talked about market - that should really do wonders for reaching out and getting more eyes and ears. Matthews right now is trending world-wide, the lead story on ESPN, and ESPN Radio, yahoo sports and other headlines.

Hull, and Modano were gobsmacked (and funny re: Modano).

this good be an amazing boone for MLSE (a huge untapped market. AMERICA! ) but for the NHL as a whole.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

+/- -1

Maybe you should stay to the sidelines for a bit and do some reading of informed opinions.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I have to say I really think this is going to be amazing for the NHL. Having a bone fide star in the leagues biggest-most talked about market - that should really do wonders for reaching out and getting more eyes and ears. Matthews right now is trending world-wide, the lead story on ESPN, and ESPN Radio, yahoo sports and other headlines.

this good be an amazing boone for MLSE (a huge untapped market. AMERICA! ) but for the NHL as a whole.

I thought it was hilarious when Modano just flat out tore apart his own ex-teammate Fabian Brunnstrom :laugh:

680.jpg

He ended up deleting the Tweet

Garlando

May 5, 2014
Kingston, Ontario
I thought Kadri played a solid game yesterday, definitely a strong possession game. I really think he's missing a more creative winger to play with, you could see him wanting to make plays as he gained entry into the sens zone but had limited options. Babcock clearly has him pegged for more of a defensive role this year playing with 2 other vets in what I assume will be a trusted 2-way line. Overall I was happy with Kadri's game last night.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
What is Kadri providing to the Leafs on a night like last night that a Dominic Moore didn't on any given night?

The bar for that guy is set so ridiculously low.

Actual possession against the top lines and limiting scoring chances ...
You think JVR and Kadri are going to be scoreless all year long ? Both Kadri and JVR IMO are going to put up 50 points + with Kadri playing big minutes.

Dominic Moore didn't do that, you realize that right? He may have been in a 'shut-down 4th line' position, but he didn't have the same effect.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

he makes the last few years worth it :)

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
I thought Kadri played a solid game yesterday, definitely a strong possession game. I really think he's missing a more creative winger to play with, you could see him wanting to make plays as he gained entry into the sens zone but had limited options. Babcock clearly has him pegged for more of a defensive role this year playing with 2 other vets in what I assume will be a trusted 2-way line. Overall I was happy with Kadri's game last night.

I really want a creative winger beside him, he's being forced to play a boring cycle game style which isn't him. Marner, Griffith or Brown would do. Soshnikov is the only one that can be on the 4th line and be excellent so I'd want him there instead of beside Kadri.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I don't know about the second statement but Kadri does seem closer to being Dominic Moore in a sea of swift skating youth than I ever thought he was.

He's projecting to be the Leafs' 3rd line center in the future (is the future now?) which will work just fine.

I mean this is insane.

Dominic Moore is a 15pt scorer and a possession liability to boot. He is no way comaprable to Kadri.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
Sometimes you see flashes of brilliance from a goaltender that makes you think he's just not all there yet, but i disagree with anyone that says otherwise. Andersen has had multiple games in a row with a save percentage closer to .800 than .900. All we needed was a below average performance. And he couldn't even do that.

Matthews though. What more can you say, right? We need this more than anyone else IMO. :handclap:

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Last 2yrs, Even Strength:

Kadri: 34pts per 82gms, +3.9 zone-start adjust corsi relative to team
VanRyk: 38pts per 82gms, -2.8 zone-start adjust corsi relative to team
Bozak: 32pts per 82gms, -2.7 zone-start adjust corsi relative to team

Three similar offensive players, one a possession beast, the other two possession liabilities.

Last Night:

Kadri: 0pts, +12.5correl
VanRyk: 0pts, -10.3correl
Bozak: 0pts, -10.3correl

I do wish he had a better finisher on that line, I think he is capable of ~60 pts if he has another good offensive presence.

Agreed with these. I think other people expect him to be a Matthews or something...

Yeah we should just put Holland there, he'd probably do better eh.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Sometimes you see flashes of brilliance from a goaltender that makes you think he's just not all there yet, but i disagree with anyone that says otherwise. Andersen has had multiple games in a row with a save percentage closer to .800 than .900. All we needed was a below average performance. And he couldn't even do that.

Matthews though. What more can you say, right? We need this more than anyone else IMO. :handclap:

by 'multiple' you mean two pre-season games and one regular season game? Didn't he also miss a good chunk of training camp due to injury?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad