Matthews Extension

Is this deal an overpay, underpay, or fair value?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Ha. I've been posting for a few years, I think this is the first time I've ever seen such a short post where all of the lines contain basic lies / false statements. Congratulations I guess.

1) Regardless of what you just claimed in the post above, everyone can see you've been arguing for multiple weeks that Matthews' deal is GREAT for the Leafs re: both AAV and term. That literally means you've been arguing he's underpaid. Because if, as you argue, the Leafs won on both AAV and term then Matthews clearly could've / should've gotten more. I find it borderline laughable that you're trying to deny this -- what's next, trying to deny you're invested in Auston Matthews? Oh wait...

2) I'm absolutely not assuming ppl have read your posts, actually I think most ppl probably tuned you out a long time ago. Either way this is unrelated to the point that you only managed to get 2.7% of ppl to agree with you -- whether or not ppl read your posts is irrelevant, the result is still the result. This is not hard to understand, not sure why you think you'll be able to mislead ppl by making such an irrelevant statement.

3) Re: changing your vote in a poll, as you and everybody else knows, before any poll closes you can change your vote as many times as you want. So your claim that ppl can't change their vote while the poll is open is just... bizarre and very strange. Who are you trying to fool and how gullible do you think they are, you know? Anyway, that's why I put a screenshot of the poll results a day or so before it closed, I was honestly curious to see if you were able to change any votes before the poll closed. You weren't.

So yeah, yet another low quality post from Divine. Like I said before, you're slipping

You caught me, I’m arguing that Matthews is underpaid while simultaneously voting Matthews is fairly paid in the poll above. Of course I wouldn’t want to push the 2.7% of votes up. I intentionally voted that he's fairly paid - just so you can say "2.7% of people agree with you" despite me not even voting for that option. :biglaugh:

Jeez, is the Arizona board that dull? If I didn’t know any better I would say you’re a Leafs fan because as soon as the stadium talk fell through you’ve been posting on every Leafs thread non-stop.

Yes, I’m arguing Matthews is underpaid while voting he’s fairly paid in the same thread - you got me with your mind reading tactics.

Why would I vote he’s fairly paid if I’m arguing he’s underpaid?

Also - for someone who started their statement with "I've been posting for a few years" - it's ironic you don't even realize how polls on this forum work. Being able to change your vote on a poll is an *option that you must select* - this poster did not select it.

Secondly, you're arguing that people have tuned me out while simultaneously arguing I am not changing anyone's mind or convincing them of anything. That's pretty redundant. Either they've tuned me out or my arguments are weak. If they tuned me out, I wouldn't change opinions even with very strong arguments - because they would never have read it.

Third, no I believe the term is great for the team. I think the money is the sacrifice the Leafs made for the term. Both parties got something - hence the fair value. If Matthews took 12M X 4, I would argue it's great value - he didn't. He increased his demands for the shorter term - hence, fair value.

The *term* is great for the Leafs because it avoids them having to pay Matthews for 8 straight years should he decline or have lingering injuries. Look at Dallas, they're paying Seguin nearly 10M a year for the next 4 years despite the fact he has never put up more than 50 points since the contract started 4 years ago. That's the risk you take with term. The Leafs avoided that risk by paying him more on a shorter term.

Last edited:

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
hBSBS9d.jpg

Matthews also has the least amount of GP as well. And yet people act like he is a scrub and isn't soundly a top 5 player

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
No one cares what you concede.

MacK finished top 5 in Hart voting 4 different times, and #6 a different time. Meaning that in 5 of the last 6 years (ie basically every season) he was one of the 5 or 6 most valuable players in the reg season, 3 of those seasons he was a Hart finalist, twice runnerup. And he consistently raises his game in the playoffs.

Matthews finished top 5 in Hart voting twice during the last six years (top 2 both times, one win), and obviously he has not consistently raised his game in the playoffs. Obviously a good player, but most ppl would take MacK over him.

Anyway with regard to a gap, most will say MacK has a created a gap above Matthews during the reg season. And then there's the playoffs where there's a quite a large gap in both individual and team performance.

Either way you're slipping Divine. 60% of the ppl in this thread think this Matthews extension is an overpay. Poll closes in about 12 hours, that's all the time left to make all of your bad faith posts to try to convince everyone to change their minds. You're the best hope left for Auston Matthews and time is running out! Good luck
That's KO by unruly punch into gut. But yeah, no player after 85 point season should be awarded by the largest AAV in the history of the game, unless he single-handledly drops every team in the playoffs and runs off with the cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad