TSN: Matthews admitted having covid-19 and now he is healthy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I'm having trouble following you, sorry. I keep asking how did everyone know if it was a secret? Any ideas?

? You have to understand the difference between
some people knowing and Publishing in a national newspaper. you get that right?

There are what 40 active positive tests in the NHL Right now. The media have openly said they know who many are. But they aren’t sharing.

lots of people “know” lots of “secrets”. They don’t publish them In national newspapers and sports media outlets.

Many players/GMs/media “know” multiple personal things about people’s sexual orientation, history of sexual abuse by hockey coaches etc.

should Simmons tell those too?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I'm just wondering how it's possible that "everyone knew", seems strange is all. If one reporter finds out but knows it's supposed to be a secret, what does he do, start spreading the word among other reporters? If these reporters are spreading the word among their fraternity, is that respecting Matthews privacy?
No everyone's health should be there own private issue between them and their doc and in most cases it is.

I don't think everyone knew. What these media types probably knew was many hockey players skating at same rink as Matty had tested for it. Then some would start an investigation to find out who. It is like anything the more you work to investigate and talk to more people the more info you will get. But bottom line if 20 people knew Matty had it between health care people, family, friends and some hockey buddies all it takes is 1 person of that group to confirm it. Could be as simple as "heh i heard Matty caught it damn". Then someone in the group says yeah that really sucked. Boom now it is confirmed. Hard to gag 20 people. But I doubt one of Matty's buddies would call a reporter and say heh Matty has it. Generally a no no in hockey to intentionally try to screw someone over.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Simmons has the right as a reporter to put this out there. But given the league has mandated confidentiality, there was no way he could get this verified from an official source on the Leafs or in the NHL. Therefore it's like tabloid journalism, which sums up why he's a garbage reporter.

Matthews' coming out and saying he had it a few weeks later doesn't vindicate Simmons on this.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
? You have to understand the difference between
some people knowing and Publishing in a national newspaper. you get that right?

There are what 40 active positive tests in the NHL Right now. The media have openly said they know who many are. But they aren’t sharing.

lots of people “know” lots of “secrets”. They don’t publish them In national newspapers and sports media outlets.

Many players/GMs/media “know” multiple personal things about people’s sexual orientation, history of sexual abuse by hockey coaches etc.

should Simmons tell those too?

That's all very interesting but has nothing to do with that I asked - how did everybody know as so many have said?

No everyone's health should be there own private issue between them and their doc and in most cases it is.

I don't think everyone knew. What these media types probably knew was many hockey players skating at same rink as Matty had tested for it. Then some would start an investigation to find out who. It is like anything the more you work to investigate and talk to more people the more info you will get. But bottom line if 20 people knew Matty had it between health care people, family, friends and some hockey buddies all it takes is 1 person of that group to confirm it. Could be as simple as "heh i heard Matty caught it damn". Then someone in the group says yeah that really sucked. Boom now it is confirmed. Hard to gag 20 people. But I doubt one of Matty's buddies would call a reporter and say heh Matty has it. Generally a no no in hockey to intentionally try to screw someone over.

Finally, someone has a plausible theory, that all makes sense to me. Nice post, thanks!

Simmons has the right as a reporter to put this out there. But given the league has mandated confidentiality, there was no way he could get this verified from an official source on the Leafs or in the NHL. Therefore it's like tabloid journalism, which sums up why he's a garbage reporter.

Matthews' coming out and saying he had it a few weeks later doesn't vindicate Simmons on this.

Yup, there's a reason why Simmons works for the Sun and not the Globe. He seems to be something of a d-bag but I believe that you are correct in that he does have the right to put it out there, his editors obviously agree and what can you say, people buy what he's selling so they're just as much to blame as he is and I can't help but wonder how many of the people wanting to hang Simmons bought a copy of the Sun Today.

Your post sums things up perfectly IMHO and I'd say this thread has run it's course. I doubt anyone would be unhappy if this was locked up.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
That's all very interesting but has nothing to do with that I asked - how did everybody know as so many have said?

Finally, someone has a plausible theory, that all makes sense to me. Nice post, thanks!

Yup, there's a reason why Simmons works for the Sun and not the Globe. He seems to be something of a d-bag but I believe that you are correct in that he does have the right to put it out there, his editors obviously agree and what can you say, people buy what he's selling so they're just as much to blame as he is and I can't help but wonder how many of the people wanting to hang Simmons bought a copy of the Sun Today.

Your post sums things up perfectly IMHO and I'd say this thread has run it's course. I doubt anyone would be unhappy if this was locked up.

Agreed!

Reactions: Gary Nylund
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad