Prospect Info: Matthew Tkachuk or PL Dubois

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I have never understood why this board didn't get behind Tkachuk for so long. Pretty hard to ignore now. Future stud.

His playoff tear is just great news for us Canuck fans. Firstly it might mean the Oilers draft him and leave us Dubois who Benning wants to develop as a much needed top centre. Secondly, it assures that Benning won't do something silly and consider trading down or drafting a D at 5, and will take Tkachuk.

I have loved both Dubois and Tkachuk all season long. Love that they bring good size and grit to go with good skill. Win win here, pumped to get one of these guys enough that the lottery is old nnews now.

We might not have the high end skill of the Oilers in 4 years but with the likes of Horvat, Virtanen, Tkachuk...we will not be soft anymore and hard to play against.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Tkachuck monster game hat trick i cant see how he will drop to us but if he does wowzee are we lucky he is a star in the making

Tkachcuk Mccann Boes Man
Baertchi Horvat Virtanen

Pretty good who knows the ceiling of everyone there

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Oilers would be really stupid to pick Dubois over Tkachuk, IMO. Every concern about him not being able to carry his own line and being more like the perfect support player fits Edmonton's situation like a glove. They have the big guns for him to support, and Dubois ability to play center isn't very useful in Edmonton.

As a winger playing with McDavid in an offensive role, Tkachuk is superior to Dubois.

As a team without a #1 center and with only one guy in Horvat who seems to be a "build a line around him" kind of guy, Dubois might make more sense for us. The way Tkachuk is playing makes that argument difficult, though.

zoolander09

Oct 23, 2009
Tkachuck monster game hat trick i cant see how he will drop to us but if he does wowzee are we lucky he is a star in the making

Tkachcuk Mccann Boes Man
Baertchi Horvat Virtanen

Pretty good who knows the ceiling of everyone there

I have a problem with sven in that group.
28 pts in 70 games with pp and top six minutes is really embarassing.
hes better than last year but huge strides need to be made this year if he is to be considered a legitimate top 6 guy.

in the fantasy world i live in, tkachuck or dubois go 3rd and edmonton takes a d man.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I have a problem with sven in that group.
28 pts in 70 games with pp and top six minutes is really embarassing.
hes better than last year but huge strides need to be made this year if he is to be considered a legitimate top 6 guy.

in the fantasy world i live in, tkachuck or dubois go 3rd and edmonton takes a d man.

I use to agree with your point here but i really saw some great progress from him later in the year and still has to battle consistency problems but its a great time for him to learn as this team is going no where FAST

Your right tho if he gets only the same next year 28 in 70 or around the same then yeah we need to beg calgary for Shincky back or find someone else cause that wont do. But hes still pretty young for a hockey player and can learn and grow with the other younger guys like Bo Jake Mccann and Tkachuck (assuming we get him)

Seventy7

May 16, 2015
Tkachuks recent play is undeniably dominant. London should with the OHL championship in a sweep and will likely dominate the Memorial Cup. Lots of hockey left yet for him to change peoples minds between he and Dubois.

I was on the Dubois bandwagon and ultimately feel the Canucks would take him as hes faster, more of a north south player which is what they want from this team moving forward, and could develop as a center, perhaps with #1C pedigree. Reminds me of Ryan Johansen, but I think hes got a better all around game, including more physicality. He did have a somewhat underwhelming playoff, which cant be said about #7 in London.

Im honestly extatic to be getting either of these players. They BOTH instantly move to the top of our prospects list and imo our forward group is looking like a group of high character kids that bring their lunch pails to work. Either of those guys on a line with Boeser finding the soft areas and sniping has the future looking far less bleak.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
we aren't getting Tkachuk at this point, he's solidifying himself as 4th overall which means Benning gets what he wants, a centerman.

It's quite the consolation prize, Dubois and Horvat as your centerman is beastly.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Lets redo the poll please.

Give round 1 to PLD

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
It all goes go back to BPA. Per Benning's admission there are no #1 D men in this draft. Conversely, if Dubois/Tkachuk do not have first line upside I don't know who ever does, other than McJesus types, coming out of junior. It could be there is a #1 D in there but good luck identifying him among anyone going in the first two rounds. No such confusion with the forwards where the scouts get it right more consistently.

Draft for highest upside and make trades for positional needs, e.g., Preds-BJs trade is always an option if you have a desirable asset. Draft wrong, or wait too long like the Oil did with Yak, and no one will want to deal.

Britton

Nov 28, 2008
Man at this point it really doesn't matter which player we get. Both are looking like excellent prospects and the fact that we are guaranteed one of them makes the results of the lottery at lot easier to swallow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad