Prospect Info: Matthew Tkachuk or PL Dubois (Round 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Going outside the box and drafting Juolevi/Jones at 5 despite a clearly better player (Tkachuk/Dubois) being available just reeks of Jim Benning :laugh: I'm not even sure I could handle the disappointment...

That would actually be worse than the Bourdon over Kopitar debacle.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
Going outside the box and drafting Juolevi/Jones at 5 despite a clearly better player (Tkachuk/Dubois) being available just reeks of Jim Benning :laugh: I'm not even sure I could handle the disappointment...

I don't think it'll happen. Of course Benning is an incompetent doofus, but he's basically telegraphed that we're drafting a forward. He really does think in terms like "It's okay to trade Mccann because I can draft another forward to replace him."

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
For all the talk about how Edmonton should trade the pick and/or draft a defenseman... Tkachuk makes a lot of sense for Edmonton... Just think about how dominant Tkachuk could be on McDavid's wing. If I'm Chiarelli, I draft Tkachuk and deal Nuge and Yak for the best defenseman offered.

Oil fan dropping in. I think you're right simply based on how much we've heard Chiarelli mention Tkachuk compared to any other prospect (though he does seem to like Brown and Sergachev quite a bit). As impressive as Tkachuk's skill set is - some of those quick back hand passes from behind the net were filthy - I think the Oil fan base is still pretty torn between Tkachuk and PLD. Colby Armstrong mentioned during the intermission that when he saw PLD at the CHL awards, he barely fit in his suit because he's so ripped, joked that he should buy a new suit for draft day. The kid is a work out freak. His all around game, as well as size and strength intrigues me more than Tkachuk. I've heard PLD's projections as being Benn/Hossa/Bergeron, but I think Rod "The Bod" Brind'Amour might be a better comparable (started out as a winger, became one of the best 2 way centres in the game).

For Tkachuk, you look at him and it's hard not to think Corey Perry, even wears the same junior jersey. Obviously that's if he reaches his ceiling.

Either way, both of our teams should be stoked. Can't wait for the draft.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
I will be shocked if Benning doesn't pick one of Tkachuk/Dubois.

He's basically confirmed it multiple, when he said there are 2 top line forwards after the top 3.

Pretty sure that's Tkachuk/Dubois.

But honestly, in this draft, Keller and Jost imo are going to be excellent also.

Can't really go wrong.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

I actually think Benning is likely to stay put at 5 and take whoever drops but Weisbrod's strong influence on him is what terrifies me the most.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Just don't screw this up. Either way we win ... just don't take a d-man or trade down.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I will be shocked if Benning doesn't pick one of Tkachuk/Dubois.

He's basically confirmed it multiple, when he said there are 2 top line forwards after the top 3.

Pretty sure that's Tkachuk/Dubois.

But honestly, in this draft, Keller and Jost imo are going to be excellent also.

Can't really go wrong.

Yeah, Keller at 5 wouldn't piss me off at all honestly.

Evolu7ion

#firelindenning
Sep 20, 2010
Victoria, BC
I don't think it'll happen. Of course Benning is an incompetent doofus, but he's basically telegraphed that we're drafting a forward. He really does think in terms like "It's okay to trade Mccann because I can draft another forward to replace him."

Yeah agree, I don't think it'll happen either... Especially considering Tkachuk is the type of player Benning seems to gravitate towards. If there was any risk there, it would be if Tkachuk goes 4, PLD drops, and then another schrewd GM offers Benning a top 10 pick (where he can take a dman) + a player further along in development...

For example, if I'm Buffalo, I'd give Jimbo a call and offer 8th + Jake McCabe :laugh: Or if I'm Montreal, I'm throwing an offer of future elite 3rd line C Michael McCarron + 9th overall our way and seeing if there's a bite.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Unreal. Please be Tkachuk!

I know there's a huge difference in their role and linemates, but just for fun do you recall Horvat's "huge playoffs" in 2013 where he put up 16 7 23 in 21 games to push his draft stock up into the top 10-14*?

Then you look at Tkachuk's 25 23 48 in 22 games and you almost don't get what the fuss was?

*Before anyone reams me out I am *well aware* that Horvat had a strong back half of the season too and played hard minutes on the second line without Domi so they obviously aren't direct comparables. Just gives some context though to how insane Tkachuk and that entire London top line's numbers are.

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
Well I really enjoyed the Memorial Cup. And I do compare league strengths, and it was nice to see the Q put up a solid effort this year compared to last.

I feel better about taking Dubois now. I know the Q has been a dry well for us in the past, but this could be a good year for them.

I am 99 percent sure Dubois will be a Canuck on draft day, and I am fine with it. :handclap:

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
More than happy to draft Dubois, 6'3 skilled centres are rare. Horvat-Dubois as your top center is a recipe for success in the playoffs.

JA

Dubois resembles a young Trevor Linden in many ways. Out of all of the power forwards in this draft,

Meet four of junior hockey's best: [3* Edition]
The Vancouver Sun [Vancouver, B.C] 09 June 1988: F1.

* Trevor Linden, right wing, Medicine Hat Tigers. Height: 6'3". Weight: 185 pounds. Shoots: right. Born: April 11, 1970. Hometown: Medicine Hat, Alta.

Ranked second by Central Scouting Bureau behind Prince Albert's Mike Modano, Linden is the player most likely to end up as a Canuck. "He does the simple things quite well and he is a better skater than I've heard," says Canuck g.m. Pat Quinn. Linden is a physical player who blends skill and aggressiveness. Many scouts think Modano is a better prospect but that Linden is more of a sure-fire pro.

Linden's leadership abilities lauded: [3* Edition]
Beamish, Mike. The Vancouver Sun [Vancouver, B.C] 13 June 1988: F1.

MONTREAL - A week before, Trevor Linden was branding cattle on the family ranch north of Medicine Hat, Alta. Now the Vancouver Canucks have branded him as a potential future captain of the National Hockey League team. Linden, who only turned 18 two months before Saturday's entry draft, is built on the lanky, rawboned lines of a western movie hero. Sort of a teen-aged Gary Cooper. General manager Pat Quinn called him "a proud Western Canadian" when he announced the right winger from the Medicine Hat Tigers as Vancouver's first choice, the second player taken overall, in the draft.

At 6'3", 185 pounds, Trevor would indeed sit tall in the saddle if he decided to ride a horse, but that's not often. He prefers to use a motorcycle at roundup time on the family ranch. So if you get the impression that Linden showed up at the draft in dusty jeans and with cow dung caked to his boots, think again. He's no cowpoke.

Trevor has a lean, angular build. His teeth are perfect and his complexion unblemished. His grandfather is short and leathery and peppers his speech with the occasional coarse word. Nick Linden, a speed skater in his native country, moved to Alberta from Holland when he was 17 (the family's name has been shortened from Van Der Linden) and is known as somewhat of a character in Medicine Hat. He is 76, but retains the feistiness of his youth. He got involved in a scuffle during the Memorial Cup tournament last month when a Quebec fan pilfered a hat from a young Medicine Hat supporter, sat on it and refused to give it back.

"I was right in there," says the old man, proudly. "One thing about us Lindens - we'll fight for what belongs to us."

"Trevor is a lot like me," says the grandfather. "He's very determined. When he sets his mind on something, no one can stop him."

Linden led the Tigers in scoring for most of the season and finished with 46 goals and 64 assists in 67 games. But the most impressive aspect to Linden's game, says Medicine Hat general manager Russ Farwell, is an ability to make his teammates play harder by the force of his own commitment.

"He'll be the captain in Vancouver one day, no doubt," Farwell says. "Mentally, Trevor could play in the NHL right now. He's that mature. If he was a cute player, a smoothie who did everything with his head, he could play there (Vancouver) next year, but physically he needs to develop more, to get stronger.

"There's only one way with Trev - he plays the game head on. He goes right for the puck carrier, or barges to the front of the net. He can get away with that in junior, but in the pros he'd just get knocked down. He has to fill out and get stronger."

If Vancouver fans appreciate the way Stan Smyl plays, Farwell adds, they're going to rave about Linden - a Stanley Steamer with racing tires.

Says Farwell: "He's a top talent who plays hard every night and does whatever he has to do to win - the city is going to love him."

Linden entered the Canucks' 1988 training camp measuring at 6'4'' 200 lbs, having gained 15 lbs during the summer so that he could play in the NHL right away.
Trevor Linden diary starts in Monday Sun: [3* Edition]
The Vancouver Sun [Vancouver, B.C] 10 Sep 1988: G1.

Rookie Trevor Linden is off to training camp, a hockey stick in one hand and a note pad in the other to record his daily experiences, starting in Monday's Vancouver Sun.

Three months ago, the Vancouver Canucks didn't figure their No. 1 draft pick would be physically ready to play this season.

But something happened to his 18-year-old body over the summer. It grew.

Having sprouted another half inch and pumped up by 16 pounds, Linden is big enough (6'4", 200 pounds) to play in any man's league.

Trevor started camp today with high hopes, though he is under the added pressure of trying to win a job without a contract.

"I'm hoping to play so well that they can't send me down," vowed Linden, before boarding the team bus for Parksville.

Last edited by a moderator:

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Well..... I am wrong about Tkachuk...

Not a product of Dvorak or Marner at all. I'm more and more excited for the draft.

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
Well..... I am wrong about Tkachuk...

Not a product of Dvorak or Marner at all. I'm more and more excited for the draft.

Right?? You couldn't ask for a better last game from a prospect. This was the mic. drop of hockey games for him.

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015
After watching Tkachuk today in the finals, I don't think anyone should be disappointed to end up with this player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad